Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

The 'feel' of the Helix (impedance stuff)...

klangmaler

Two guys saying "um...err...I think....maybe..." because neither, apparently, has any idea what impedance is actually about.

If something in that babble solved some problem they had in their heads, I'm happy for them, but they sure didn't provide much information, and, to the extent that impedance has anything to do with "rubbery slippage" (which sounds more related to birth control than guitar tone or feel) totally left out the most important development in 3.0(1), the Global "Auto-In Z" Preference setting, which fixes the problem of where impedance (pickup loading) happens in the signal chain.

I fear that this video is only going to further confuse people on this subject.

The important things to know:

1) If you set the IN-Z setting in the Input Block to AUTO, AND in Global Settings>Preferences you set Auto In-Z to ENABLED, then the FIRST ACTIVE block in the signal chain determines how the pickups are loaded, whether there's the high end roll-off that the low-impedance blocks expect for "authentic" tone from the effect. 

2) If you're using a wireless transmitter, it's irrelevant, as your pickups are always loaded at 1M. Even though some wireless units have a "cable length" switch that supposedly mimics this effect, it's not the same - static with all pickup types, and ALWAYS ON.

To show how unimportant this whole impedance thing is to anyone who's not a KNOWLEDGABLE tone purist, if you watch many Rig Rundowns, you'll see MANY top pros raving about their vintage Tube Screamers that are either buried two or three effects deep on their boards, or they're using wireless, and/or have buffers/buffered effects in their signal chains before the TS.

Rubbery slippage....rubbery slippage.....Sorry, just thinking the words makes me giggle like a 13 year old......

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Cool! I like a part "I am not an expert, so it was a lot of guess work" and that enlightement mood of that video. :D
If somebody is a guitarist and maybe the guitar playing is his job for a living, why not learn, read, watch a yt video about basic fact about the tools he uses?
For example that: http://www.buildyourguitar.com/resources/lemme/

1 hour ago, zolko60 said:

Yeah. If one knows cery little, his life is full of miracles, magic and guesswork.
But kudos for demonstration! I love it!

We know. You're brilliant... and we're all very impressed. We all stand humbled in the presence of greatness. Tell us again. It never gets old.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, zolko60 said:

Yeah. If one knows cery little, his life is full of miracles, magic and guesswork.
But kudos for demonstration! I love it!

The guy isnt trying to demostrate anything. He's just sharing stuff with other people, without even try to dissimulate knowledge. Breath dude, you always seem stuck with an hand up, first row of the classrom.

4 hours ago, PierM said:

The guy isnt trying to demostrate anything. He's just sharing stuff with other people, without even try to dissimulate knowledge. Breath dude, you always seem stuck with an hand up, first row of the classrom.

It's GOOD that he's not attempting to dissimulate OR demonstrate knowledge of Rubbery Slippage. That could be bad. Maybe even illegal!

Dissimulate....Rubbery Slippage.....Dissimulate.....Rubbery Slippage......

This is the most funnest thread we've had in a while! :-)

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, PierM said:

The guy isnt trying to demostrate anything.

He is. He has demonstrated differences in a frequency response caused by various loads. Then he has found the answer in The Helix Manual. That document is the only wisdom source of that video referenced a couple of times.
I personally find it hilarious when youtubers ignore there are other you tube channels covering the subject (not mention googling) and a better literature than The Helix Manual.

4 hours ago, PierM said:

Breath dude, you always seem stuck with an hand up, first row of the classrom.

Breathing. I was the second one. The first rd2k comment was brilliant. I do not understand crediting me for that. ;)

25 minutes ago, j_hotch said:

A friendly reminder to whom it may concern: you can block users from inside your profile settings. Verifiably true!  https://line6.com/support/ignore/

This is a pretty innocuous thread to be inspiring people to block each other. We're mostly just having fun!

Dissimulate....falsifiable.......Rubbery Slippage.....Dissimulate....falsifiable.......Rubbery Slippage.....

• Haha 1