Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How to install Line 6 EDIT on Windows 10

This post is intended to assist those that still require the aging LINE 6 EDIT on their Windows 10 machine in order to edit their PODs, XT's, etc... 

The current installers on their own will throw errors or simply won't work... but it all has to do with the JAVA pointers in the installation. They simply don't "point" to the right locations anymore. 

1. Download an older 32 bit JAVA installation....
  2. Download 'LINE 6 EDIT" from the Line 6 download area. 
    • Choose "Line 6 Edit" from the SOFTWARE dropdown
    • Choose "Windows 7" from the OS dropdown 
    • Click GO
    • Now download the WINDOWS 3.04 version of Line 6 EDIT  (don't download the MAC version in error)
    • Install the software, but uncheck the option to install JAVA

Line 6 Edit should now load and find a connected device that is supported.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...

@RichardSMF  ... 

This is what I suggest you try based on your problems posted on the other thread....

• Uninstall EVERYTHING related to the Bass POD XT Live... then reboot your system
  • Go to this page.... https://line6.com/software/
  • From the "hardware drop down" choose "Bass PODxt Live"
  • As of this post, look for Driver Version 4.2.7.7 for Windows. Download that and install it. 
    Do not connect the POD until it tells you to! This is critical! 
  • Download and install Monkey 1.77 which should also appear on that page.
  • Next - Follow the instructions EXACTLY as described above post to install JAVA and Line 6 EDIT for the POD

If your BASS PODxt Live is still not recognized... then troublshoot your USB connection.

• Make sure you are NOT connected to a USB Hub
  • Try different USB cables
  • Try different USB ports

14 hours ago, RichardSMF said:

tried and no joy. I have followed your advice exactly. USB ports and leads are ok, it just does nothing when plugged in when requested!

The only other option would be to try this on a different PC.

If mulitple PC's don't work, and multiple cables do not work - that leaves the Bass PODxt as the most probable culprit. 

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

oh my god you just saved my POD XT Live. It works nice (I had to search a bit to install java then it was ok).

In the app, the link to customtone "online library" in the app does not work because the library does not have the same url (if you hit that button the app will crash). But you can go to line6 website and clik on customtone. There you select your hardware model (POD XT, XT Live, XT PRO...) and you can download more than 8000 tones (.l6t files) like funk, jazz, rock, metal and so much more. You can copy those files to your "downloaded tones" folder and copy them to your device. For me that folder was in "Documents\Line 6\Tones\Line 6 Edit\Downloaded Tones"

Do not forget to install the line6 usb driver and line6 monkey from line6 website prior to install line 6 edit .

nb2 : I had to reboot the PC after install otherwise the program had a strange behaviour (keyboard input impossible ...).

• Thanks 1

Thank you for this. Just got my new to me Pod XT Live up and running with Line 6 edit. I wish things didn't have to be like this. I know you cant support things forever but not all of us have the cash to throw on the latest and greatest when you can pick these up for such a good deal on the used market. Previous owner must have been into just making strange sounds. If I didn't know what this thing is capable of I'd have dismissed it after listening to a few of the patches. Anyway, thanks again!!

• Thanks 1

On 1/10/2021 at 5:33 PM, codamedia said:

This post is intended to assist those that still require the aging LINE 6 EDIT on their Windows 10 machine in order to edit their PODs, XT's, etc... 

The current installers on their own will throw errors or simply won't work... but it all has to do with the JAVA pointers in the installation. They simply don't "point" to the right locations anymore. 

• Click GO
    • Now download the WINDOWS 3.04 version of Line 6 EDIT  (don't download the MAC version in error)

I tried everything for weeks  to get my hd500x to sync and this worked for me. Thank you 

• Thanks 3

• 4 months later...
On 1/10/2021 at 5:33 PM, codamedia said:

• Click GO

Thanks for this. Can the newly installed JRE 6 be uninstalled after the installation completes? Thanks again.

• 6 months later...

I downloaded the Windows 8 version of Line 6 Edit (Version 3.06, Build 104) on my Windows 10 computer and ran the installer, but the installer was unable to retrieve and install the Java Runtime Environment required for Line 6 Edit to work. I decided, instead of using an old copy of JRE 6, to use the current JRE 8 (update 341) from Oracle at java.com by visiting their "Java Downloads for All Operating Systems" page then selecting the Windows Offline (72.73 MB) installer, not the 64-bit one. I am happy to report that Line 6 Edit (Version 3.06, Build 104) is now running just fine with a PODxt on my Windows 10 computer.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

utter rubbish... i have a new pod go, been trying to find pod edit software to update the firmware.. Line6 web site has nothing on it , no explanations going round in circles omn therir site , no explanations and no viable links that resolve this ... sorry but im not a computer programmer .... i play guitar... line 6 are totally usless in their support . Im selling this pile of rubbish and going back to Boss.  

On 11/8/2023 at 2:53 PM, Neil1965 said:

utter rubbish... i have a new pod go, been trying to find pod edit software to update the firmware.. Line6 web site has nothing on it , no explanations going round in circles omn therir site , no explanations and no viable links that resolve this ... sorry but im not a computer programmer .... i play guitar... line 6 are totally usless in their support . Im selling this pile of rubbish and going back to Boss.  

What are you having problems with exactly? If you have POD Go Edit installed on your computer, it will guide you through update process. There really isn’t anything else you need to download other than that.

• 3 months later...

Hi,

just installed the old "Line 6 Edit" on yet another new PC , Win 11 this time ...

But, can I ask what the alternative is ?

- Is it to crawl the floor to fine tune each setting, or has there been released a modern sw-interface to replace "Line 6 Edit" ?

BR

kospaang