Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How to install the original Workbench on Windows 10

This post is intended to assist those that still require the aging Variax Workbench (original) on their Windows 10 machine in order to edit their first generation Variax guitars.

Please note: You still need a variax interface or supporting device (XT Live, X3 Live, X3 Pro, HD500, HD Pro) in order to connect your Variax to the computer. 

The current installers on their own will throw errors or simply won't work... but it all has to do with the JAVA pointers in the installation. They simply don't "point" to the right locations anymore. 

1. Download an older 32 bit JAVA installation....
  2. Download 'Variax Workbench" from the Line 6 download area. 
    • Choose "Variax Workbench" from the SOFTWARE dropdown
    • Choose "Windows 7" from the OS dropdown 
    • Click GO
    • Now download version 1.75 for Windows
    • Install the software, but uncheck the option to install JAVA

Variax Workbench should now load.... and hopefully see your guitar if it is connected through a supporting device.

• Thanks 4

I am trying to update a Variax 700 Bass and a Bass Pod xt Live. I have tried both Line 6 Monkey and updater. It says that I need a new driver. I run Monkey as administrator and it installs it. When I connect the pod it does not detect it or connect and says that I  need to install the latest driver, I am going in circles, help please :-) 

8 hours ago, RichardSMF said:

I am trying to update a Variax 700 Bass and a Bass Pod xt Live. I have tried both Line 6 Monkey and updater. It says that I need a new driver. I run Monkey as administrator and it installs it. When I connect the pod it does not detect it or connect and says that I  need to install the latest driver, I am going in circles, help please :-) 

Try installing Line 6 Edit for the Bass POD XT Live. I believe the drivers will install with that.... 

I submitted a POST on how to install the XT Live (I'm sure it applies to the Bass POD XT Live as well) that might help you out...

https://line6.com/support/topic/59140-how-to-install-line-6-edit-on-windows-10/

4 hours ago, RichardSMF said:

installed it as per your links but although it says its updated the driver when I go back into Monkey it says not. I then gop around in circles. When I connect the pod to the laptop it does not bing as I would expect. Noit sure what to try next!

What is Monkey saying has to be updated... the POD or the VARIAX?

If this is a POD problem, we should move the conversation over the the POD thread. 

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

FYI, I've tried various Windows emulations trying to use original Workbench on a newer Mac. I've had no reliable success. I ended up keeping an old retired Macbook, and I run Mountain Lion on it. I use it for Workbench, as well as other old software that won't on recent OSX.

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...
On 10/1/2021 at 23:45, codamedia said:

Questo post ha lo scopo di aiutare coloro che richiedono ancora il vecchio Variax Workbench (originale) sulla loro macchina Windows 10 per modificare le loro chitarre Variax di prima generazione.

Nota:  hai ancora bisogno di un'interfaccia variax o di un dispositivo di supporto (XT Live, X3 Live, X3 Pro, HD500, HD Pro) per collegare la tua Variax al computer. 

Gli attuali programmi di installazione da soli genereranno errori o semplicemente non funzioneranno ... ma tutto ha a che fare con i puntatori JAVA nell'installazione. Semplicemente non "indicano" più le posizioni giuste. 

1. Scarica una vecchia installazione JAVA a 32 bit....
    • Visita questo sito... (nota. Questo potrebbe cambiare nel tempo, non contare sul fatto che sia qui per sempre)
      https://www.oracle.com/ca-en/java/technologies/oracle-java-archive-downloads .html
    • Fai clic sul collegamento JAVA SE 6 (puoi provare qualcosa di più alto se vuoi, ma so che questo funziona ed è per questo che lo menziono)
    • Passare al pacchetto "Windows x86" e scaricarlo. 
    • Installa questo pacchetto
  2. Scarica "Variax Workbench" dall'area download di Line 6. 
    • Scegli "Variax Workbench" dal menu a discesa SOFTWARE
    • Scegli "Windows 7" dal menu a discesa del sistema operativo 
    • Fare clic su VAI
    • Ora scarica la versione 1.75 per Windows
    • Installa il software, ma deseleziona l'opzione per installare JAVA

Ora Variax Workbench dovrebbe caricarsi.... e, si spera, vedere la tua chitarra se è collegata attraverso un dispositivo di supporto.

I have a POD HD500 and recently bought a used Variax300. They are both dated but still great tools but are not fully compatible with the latest software. Following the proposed procedure I managed to have full control of the guitar through the POD HD connected via USB to my Win10 desktop. Thanks for your advice. Tris

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...