Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Some Amplifi Clips

phil_m

Hello all,

I took a little bit of time tonight to record a few clips with my Amplifi 150. These are all done with a single mic - a Sennheiser E609. I was interested to see how it would work out. Some of the high end sparkle is lost, for sure, but that's not necessarily what you want in miced amp sound, especially live. After doing this little experiment, I'm pretty certain that people could make a single mic setup work in a gig situation if they needed.

Also, regarding the volume, the 150 has the ability to get pretty freaking loud. Certainly louder than I would need for a gig. I'm not saying it will work for every band out there, but if it's not loud enough for you, you may need to get your ears checked. :)

I didn't really try to do any real tone matching with these clips. I just dialed in sounds I liked. One thing I'm impressed with in the Amplifi is the quality of the delays. I was never in love with the delays in the XT and X3 series. They were OK if you just used them in a static way. But they never did self-oscillation in a natural way. They just got all glitchy. They weren't like the DL4 (and M13 and HD500) in that way. The delays on the Amplifi have been improved from the X3. The other thing I love is that the Amplifi allows multiple instances of the same effect. That's very helpful. I always like having cascading delays for doing Edge-like tones.

Anyway, just thought I'd share.

Boogie.mp3

Pretty Bad.mp3

Spanky Deluxe.mp3

Swirly Twin.mp3

post-416571-0-16134200-1392948633_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 4

I love that delay tone in pretty bad, and the mic works well. I've got one of those mics so I'm all set and a job well done!

Is pretty bad on custom tone so I can rip it off from you Phil :-)

Cheers

Andy

I'll look into publishing these. Like I said I was trying to match these with the recording of the songs (the tone with the Twin is just me making stuff up), and in order publish tones, you have to have them associated with an artist and a song.

The clip I labeled "Spanky Deluxe" is Cee Lo Green's "F*ck You". This tone is actually pretty close to the factory preset in slot A. I just turned the reverb on, turned the drive back a little on the amp block, and messed with the tone stack settings a bit.

The "Boogie" tone riff is STP's "Interstate Love Song" (although I'm pretty sure I messed the tempo up!). It was me playing riffs I that roughly corresponded to the tones I made.

Are you using 2 separate delays for Pretty Bad?

Yes, I am. They're both before the amp block. The first is the Digital Delay mode with a time setting of an 1/8th note, and the second is the Analog w/ Mod with a dotted 1/8th note time setting.

post-416571-0-02400700-1393012771_thumb.png

post-416571-0-92488100-1393012777_thumb.png

Would you mind posting the screenshots for the "Swirly Twin" sound? All the tone clips you posted are great! but, probably my favorite is the "Swirly Twin" ... I'd love to get that one. Thanks in advance.

* Note To The AMPLIFI Product Managers > Please make the ToneServer "Publish" and "Search" features more flexible and robust... Tying tones to a song is one way of doing things but it's not so great when a user creates some great tones (like Phil has above) and he wants to share them but can't because the tones created have no ties to specific songs (what a bummer!). AMPLIFI users should be able to publish and search for tones based simply on tone type e.g. VOX AC-30, Fender Twin Reverb, Acoustic Guitar, etc.

I loved the layered delays! How do you add more delays in the Amplifi Remote App? I haven't purchased the amp yet. I figured I would mess around with the app for awhile before I made the plunge :-)

OPERATION TIP: Here's how I did it: After arranging the effects in the order I wanted, I changed one of the effects I'm not using (the "stomp" in this case) to a second delay.  AE

Since there is no manual, could you explain how you got the editor to change a stomp effect to a delay?

Press the delay fx block which shows you all the delay fx parameters. Then press the circle delay icon to the left if where it says the delay type. On the next page press 'type' and you can select the fx type, one is drive and dynamics.

This works in a similar way with the stomp and mod fx blocks in the editor

Cheers

Rowbi

What Rowbi said is correct.  But to add a little more light to the process…

OPERATING TIP: Load the tone you want to adjust and go to the “editor†for that tone.  (I assume you know how to do this, but if you don’t let me know and I can send you a step-by-step).

On the “editor†page, you should see red sliders on the bottom of the page for Drive, Bass, Mid, Treble, etc., and an S-shaped double roll of effects icons on the top of the page.

The effects icons are lit up for “on†and subdued for “offâ€.  Select any subdued icon other than the delay.  The info about the icon (sliders, icon name, on/off button) will come up. To the left of the icon name will be the icon image. Tap on the icon image and tap again where it says <Type. Select the effects you want -- in this case, “Delayâ€, and hit done.  Now you will have two delays in your line of effects. Set the effect's perimeters to what you want. (At this point, you may want to refer to the images Phil loaded showing the settings for the two delays) Set your other delay to match the perimeters from Phil’s other delay image.

When you’ve finished, drag and drop the effects in the order you want on the S-shaped line. Again, check Phil’s images to see the order of effects. Be sure you turn on the effects you want on and turn off the rest.

There you go – now hit “Safe Info†at the bottom of your screen. Name your new tone something new if you don’t want to screw up the original tone, and save to “My Tonesâ€.  AE

• 3 weeks later...

Someone reminded me via PM that they wanted the screenshots for the "Swirly Twin" tone I used here. Here they are. I apologize for the delay (no pun intended...) :P

In the part where I do the self-oscillation thing, I was simply maxing out the feedback parameter on the app in real-time.

post-416571-0-49694600-1394753463_thumb.png

post-416571-0-15051100-1394753471_thumb.png

post-416571-0-02676100-1394753481_thumb.png

post-416571-0-78242500-1394753489_thumb.png

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...