Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Volume foot switch with snap shot mode

Paulzx

Hello All,

I need a quick bit of advice with using a dedicated volume boost foot switch. So basically I'm using 8 snap shot mode, but i want to use one of those foot switches for a stand alone

volume boost - not using any snap shot parameters, just volume.

The only way I can think of doing it is to switch to a snap shot + stomp mode but i don't really want to do that because it reduces my snap shots and I only want one volume switch,

plus i want to run all my other patches in 8 snap shot mode. You can't really make a snap shot with a stand alone volume can you?

You can temporarily move from 8 Snap mode to Stomp mode by pressing the Mode foot switch. Then you can activate/deactivate your Vol boost pedal (I suggest using the Gain model). Then use the Mode switch again to return to the 8 Snap view.

You will need to understand how the Global Setting for Snapshot Edits works to control whether you want a change in the Vol boost effect to carry over between snapshot changes or revert to the saved state in the next snapshot when you change snapshots.

1 hour ago, silverhead said:

You can temporarily move from 8 Snap mode to Stomp mode by pressing the Mode foot switch. Then you can activate/deactivate your Vol boost pedal (I suggest using the Gain model). Then use the Mode switch again to return to the 8 Snap view.

You will need to understand how the Global Setting for Snapshot Edits works to control whether you want a change in the Vol boost effect to carry over between snapshot changes or revert to the saved state in the next snapshot when you change snapshots.

Ah yes, I know you can switch between modes, but it's cumbersome just to keep doing for a bit of volume now and again.

I was hoping for a solution where I don't need to switch modes, just have a gain block on a snap shot foot switch, or next to a snapshot foot switch.

I don't think it's possible is it? I would either have to do what you've suggested or run in the combined snap shot + foot switch mode - which I don't want either.

I don’t think you can arrange things to do exactly what you want,  but perhaps others can describe how.

There are other traditional workarounds. For instance you could use the Vol pedal itself. Save the presets/snapshots with the Vol at some medium level and push it to the toe position when desired. As mentioned above you may have to customize some global settings re: snapshot edits and pedal position recall.

Of course there’s always the guitar Vol knob.....

47 minutes ago, Paulzx said:

Ah yes, I know you can switch between modes, but it's cumbersome just to keep doing for a bit of volume now and again.

I was hoping for a solution where I don't need to switch modes, just have a gain block on a snap shot foot switch, or next to a snapshot foot switch.

I don't think it's possible is it? I would either have to do what you've suggested or run in the combined snap shot + foot switch mode - which I don't want either.

You can do what I've started doing.  I've always been a snapshot/song guy...but occasionally would find need to just turn an effect on off.....my problem was I didnt need 8 snapshots, so I'd be in 4/4 mode preset/snaps.  

However, I now live in Stomp Mode ever since they released the ability to program snapshot changes in Stomp Mode.  If you go into command center...you can customize the layout of Stomp mode to include Preset/Bank changes, Snapshots, Stomps....  I typically have my setup like this...

Preset 1 - uses 5 snaps (Clean, Rhythm, Chorus, Bridge, Lead)

Stomp Mode - 10 button view

Button 1 - Preset Previous

Button 2 - Preset Next

Buttons 3-5 any Stomps I want to turn off on including a volume boost like your referring.  I use this usually for a momentary boost for leads as well

Buttons 6-10 would be set to Snapshot 1-5

This works great for me as every Song Preset gets its own custom layout, but I also only 'see' the buttons that I need for that song.  In the 4/4 split view I used previously it could be confusing to look down and see what buttons did what when snaps/presets were all available at once.  Helix's displays are great and helped minimize that, but this new programming in Stomp mode was a game changer for me.

23 minutes ago, silverhead said:

I don’t think you can arrange things to do exactly what you want,  but perhaps others can describe how.

There are other traditional workarounds. For instance you could use the Vol pedal itself. Save the presets/snapshots with the Vol at some medium level and push it to the toe position when desired. As mentioned above you may have to customize some global settings re: snapshot edits and pedal position recall.

Of course there’s always the guitar Vol knob.....

I'm actually already doing that with exp 1, just using it as an overall volume adjust. The volume boost I want is for quick solo volume then switch off again, so can't really use the pedal quite as easily, especially if it's being used for overall volume etc.

30 minutes ago, themetallikid said:

You can do what I've started doing.  I've always been a snapshot/song guy...but occasionally would find need to just turn an effect on off.....my problem was I didnt need 8 snapshots, so I'd be in 4/4 mode preset/snaps.  

However, I now live in Stomp Mode ever since they released the ability to program snapshot changes in Stomp Mode.  If you go into command center...you can customize the layout of Stomp mode to include Preset/Bank changes, Snapshots, Stomps....  I typically have my setup like this...

Preset 1 - uses 5 snaps (Clean, Rhythm, Chorus, Bridge, Lead)

Stomp Mode - 10 button view

Button 1 - Preset Previous

Button 2 - Preset Next

Buttons 3-5 any Stomps I want to turn off on including a volume boost like your referring.  I use this usually for a momentary boost for leads as well

Buttons 6-10 would be set to Snapshot 1-5

This works great for me as every Song Preset gets its own custom layout, but I also only 'see' the buttons that I need for that song.  In the 4/4 split view I used previously it could be confusing to look down and see what buttons did what when snaps/presets were all available at once.  Helix's displays are great and helped minimize that, but this new programming in Stomp mode was a game changer for me.

This is interesting, trying to get my head around it though. When set up like this, presumably your display on the foot switches still shows a bank of stomps and bank of snaps?

The 4/4 split mode would be similar wouldn't it, so what is it about this stomp mode that is making the difference for you? Have to admit I've been starting to wonder if stomp

mode is actually the way to go now for a while because while the snap shots were a nice idea, you don't really have the flexibility of individual pedals. Switching from a snap shot mode into stomp mode whilst playing, just to toggle effects on or off isn't really viable, it's too long winded

2 hours ago, Paulzx said:

This is interesting, trying to get my head around it though. When set up like this, presumably your display on the foot switches still shows a bank of stomps and bank of snaps?

The 4/4 split mode would be similar wouldn't it, so what is it about this stomp mode that is making the difference for you? Have to admit I've been starting to wonder if stomp

mode is actually the way to go now for a while because while the snap shots were a nice idea, you don't really have the flexibility of individual pedals. Switching from a snap shot mode into stomp mode whilst playing, just to toggle effects on or off isn't really viable, it's too long winded

When you are in the Stomp Mode, the Command Center lets you 'create' a layout of presets/snaps/stomps/control/bank changes.  So literally in every Song Preset you could have a different layout. This works great for me...For example some songs from my list (80's/90's covers type stuff).  Buttons 1/2 are always Preset Previous and Preset Next.  They are available, but out of the way performance wise for me. I always use the bottom row for snapshots, and usually work left>right regarding rhythm>lead as I'm a right foot switcher and its easier to stomp and then reach my wah pedal on my board without shifting feet.  :)

Song/Preset 001 - Matchbox 20 3 A.M.

Button 1 - Preset Previous (I have this on every preset/layout)

Button 2 - Preset Next (I have this on every preset/layout)

Button 9 - Rhythm - Color Red (always for rhythm sounds) - Snapshot 1 - toggle

Button 10 - Rhythm 2 Color Orange (i progress towards green for leads) - Snapshot 2 - toggle

Song/Preset 002 - Green Day - When I Come Around

Button 8 - Rhythm - Red - Snapshot 1 - Toggle

Button 9 - Chorus - Orange - Snapshot 2 - Toggle

Button 10 - Lead - Green - Snapshot 3 - Toggle

Song Preset 003 - Ozzy - Crazy Train (likely your type of layout/setup)

Button 6 - Lead 2 - Aqua - Snapshot 3 - Momentary (snapshot 3 pressed, release - Snapshot 1)

Button 9 - Rhythm - Red - Snapshot 1 - Toggle

Button 10 - Lead 1 - Green - Snapshot 2 - Toggle

*Button 6 is used for the middle of the chorus lead passages.  I have my phase 90, volume boost, OD pedal and a mid push all programmed in Snapshot 3.  In the Command center you can program the behavior when you press the button (activate snapshot 3) and the behavior when the button is released (return to snapshot 2).  This allows me to activate my lead sound (same as snapshot 2) but do it on a 2nd switch and in a momentary fashion...step on - play leads, step off back to rhythm sound.  For the main solo, I could hold Button 6 down or just use button 10 and then go back to button 9 for rhythm when done.  Same sound, two different approaches.  I used to do this same thing, however it was utilizing a Stomp switch, in Stomp mode....which required going in and out of Stomp mode like you mentioned...and I would never remember which presets had additional stomps there.  

Song Preset 004 - Blink 182 - All The Small Things

Button 6 - Stomp Switch attached to Phase 90 bypass - Blue - momentary (press/release both set to activate/return like Ozzy/003 style approach)

Button 10 - Rhythm - Red - Snapshot 1

*this layout I use one sound the whole song, Rhythm, but then add the Phase 90 via Button 6 to momentarily add the phase sound .  You could however use it as a Stomp switch to turn on/off the Phase 90 only.  I use it as a snapshot/momentary as I like to give a little volume boost so the picking part cuts through a bit more as we run our own sound so all my lead boosts are on me to deliver.

Hope that makes sense a bit more...this was a game changer for me during live use.  Added note, if you do decide to utilize this, I would recommend turning off the 'return to previous snapshot' feature in the global menus.  It seems that when that is active, it creates problems....for me at least.  its meant that if you are on snapshot 1, and you preset snapshot 2, if you press snapshot 2 again, it will return to the previous snapshot (1, in this case).  However, I think it changes the button response time of registering the 2nd press...and several times I've tried to change snapshots and it reads it as a 2nd press and reverts to the original snapshot.  Once I disengaged this feature, its been rock solid for me.

If you are still confused a bit, I can try and email some screenshots of my helix in different layouts like this....PM me your email and I can probably send some tonight sometime.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, themetallikid said:

When you are in the Stomp Mode, the Command Center lets you 'create' a layout of presets/snaps/stomps/control/bank changes.  So literally in every Song Preset you could have a different layout. This works great for me...For example some songs from my list (80's/90's covers type stuff).  Buttons 1/2 are always Preset Previous and Preset Next.  They are available, but out of the way performance wise for me. I always use the bottom row for snapshots, and usually work left>right regarding rhythm>lead as I'm a right foot switcher and its easier to stomp and then reach my wah pedal on my board without shifting feet.  :)

Song/Preset 001 - Matchbox 20 3 A.M.

Button 9 - Rhythm - Color Red (always for rhythm sounds) - Snapshot 1 - toggle

Button 10 - Rhythm 2 Color Orange (i progress towards green for leads) - Snapshot 2 - toggle

Song/Preset 002 - Green Day - When I Come Around

Button 8 - Rhythm - Red - Snapshot 1 - Toggle

Button 9 - Chorus - Orange - Snapshot 2 - Toggle

Button 10 - Lead - Green - Snapshot 3 - Toggle

Song Preset 003 - Ozzy - Crazy Train (likely your type of layout/setup)

Button 6 - Lead 2 - Aqua - Snapshot 3 - Momentary (snapshot 3 pressed, release - Snapshot 1)

Button 9 - Rhythm - Red - Snapshot 1 - Toggle

Button 10 - Lead 1 - Green - Snapshot 2 - Toggle

*Button 6 is used for the middle of the chorus lead passages.  I have my phase 90, volume boost, OD pedal and a mid push all programmed in Snapshot 3.  In the Command center you can program the behavior when you press the button (activate snapshot 3) and the behavior when the button is released (return to snapshot 2).  This allows me to activate my lead sound (same as snapshot 2) but do it on a 2nd switch and in a momentary fashion...step on - play leads, step off back to rhythm sound.  For the main solo, I could hold Button 6 down or just use button 10 and then go back to button 9 for rhythm when done.  Same sound, two different approaches.  I used to do this same thing, however it was utilizing a Stomp switch, in Stomp mode....which required going in and out of Stomp mode like you mentioned...and I would never remember which presets had additional stomps there.  

Song Preset 004 - Blink 182 - All The Small Things

Button 6 - Stomp Switch attached to Phase 90 bypass - Blue - momentary (press/release both set to activate/return like Ozzy/003 style approach)

Button 10 - Rhythm - Red - Snapshot 1

*this layout I use one sound the whole song, Rhythm, but then add the Phase 90 via Button 6 to momentarily add the phase sound .  You could however use it as a Stomp switch to turn on/off the Phase 90 only.  I use it as a snapshot/momentary as I like to give a little volume boost so the picking part cuts through a bit more as we run our own sound so all my lead boosts are on me to deliver.

Hope that makes sense a bit more...this was a game changer for me during live use.  Added note, if you do decide to utilize this, I would recommend turning off the 'return to previous snapshot' feature in the global menus.  It seems that when that is active, it creates problems....for me at least.  its meant that if you are on snapshot 1, and you preset snapshot 2, if you press snapshot 2 again, it will return to the previous snapshot (1, in this case).  However, I think it changes the button response time of registering the 2nd press...and several times I've tried to change snapshots and it reads it as a 2nd press and reverts to the original snapshot.  Once I disengaged this feature, its been rock solid for me.

If you are still confused a bit, I can try and email some screenshots of my helix in different layouts like this....PM me your email and I can probably send some tonight sometime.

Gotta say I'm seriously impressed with how you've got your setup sorted. I see what you mean about being able to customise the layout now so I'm going to give this a try. The only thing I'm a bit concerned about is having to rebuild my presets that are designed for snapshot mode, that could be a bit messy!

Yeah that would be a help to see the screen shots actually, I'll send an email address. Button one and two for moving up and down presets I take it are what was previously bank up and down, or are they additional to the bank switches?

1 hour ago, Paulzx said:

Gotta say I'm seriously impressed with how you've got your setup sorted. I see what you mean about being able to customise the layout now so I'm going to give this a try. The only thing I'm a bit concerned about is having to rebuild my presets that are designed for snapshot mode, that could be a bit messy!

Yeah that would be a help to see the screen shots actually, I'll send an email address. Button one and two for moving up and down presets I take it are what was previously bank up and down, or are they additional to the bank switches?

When looking at the 10 empty footswitches in Stomp Mode, they go starting the top left, across the top row, so top row are buttons 1-5, bottom row 6-10.  I hate having to reach the top row of buttons for live use so I put all snapshots and such on the bottom if I can.  So the first two buttons on the top row are my PREV/NEXT.  I have my helix mounted on a pedalboard that is already 1-2" lifted, so the extra height is great for the Expression pedal, but harder to stomp quickly on the back row.  

You shouldnt have to 'recreate' your presets.  When I do this, I sorta follow this process

1. Copy/Paste something from my tone templates inventory (setlist 1) into my Songs Presets inventory (setlist 2). I then sort it alphabetically there for ease of finding later

2.  I add any sort of song specific effects/amps etc.

3.  I go through each snapshot I need for the song.  Most songs are a Rhythm/Lead but some have more....and I turn on/off the appropriate blocks for each snapshot.  I verify before advancing that as I go through, on my Helix I'm seeing the appropriate blocks change on/off.

4. I set the colors for each snapshot.  Again I go Red>Green with colors like Aqua/Blue being more special assignments, Pink/Purple being actual Stomps and Red/Orange/Yellow being my snapshots

5.  I enter Stomp Mode, enter Command Center and I create "MY" live palette of tones for that song.  using the above mapped layouts.  1/2 always for PREV/NEXT assignments, 6-10 are usually for snapshots (starting from the right, next to tap tempo, and moving left.  Right = lead, Left = more rhythm sounds) and buttons 3-5 are for Stomps if I need it.  

With the saving favorites and such, it I can create some presets in literally 30 seconds and some of my more complicated snapshot changes type stuff about 10 min at most.  But whats important to me is that its consistent for me live.  I like that all the switches I'm not using are blank/blacked out.  I make sure snapshots are saved with no name (spaces) if I'm not using them and do not have a color on them as well.  So on the Blink 182 preset up above, I literally only see the PREV/NEXT buttons, the Rhythm snapshot and the PHASER momentary button.  

Shoot me an email and I'll try and respond with some pictures and such if you want.  not really show how to send video through here or if a vid will fit via email.  But always happy to answer questions. 

Lots of trial and error and some great innovation from Line 6 got me to this point.

12 hours ago, cruisinon2 said:

You don't.The powers that be took it away from everybody some time ago... No collusion! ;)

For goodness sake, what a stupid thing to do. I've literally never seen that option removed on any other forum. It's not like we're sharing Military secrets on here

11 hours ago, themetallikid said:

When looking at the 10 empty footswitches in Stomp Mode, they go starting the top left, across the top row, so top row are buttons 1-5, bottom row 6-10.  I hate having to reach the top row of buttons for live use so I put all snapshots and such on the bottom if I can.  So the first two buttons on the top row are my PREV/NEXT.  I have my helix mounted on a pedalboard that is already 1-2" lifted, so the extra height is great for the Expression pedal, but harder to stomp quickly on the back row.  

You shouldnt have to 'recreate' your presets.  When I do this, I sorta follow this process

1. Copy/Paste something from my tone templates inventory (setlist 1) into my Songs Presets inventory (setlist 2). I then sort it alphabetically there for ease of finding later

2.  I add any sort of song specific effects/amps etc.

3.  I go through each snapshot I need for the song.  Most songs are a Rhythm/Lead but some have more....and I turn on/off the appropriate blocks for each snapshot.  I verify before advancing that as I go through, on my Helix I'm seeing the appropriate blocks change on/off.

4. I set the colors for each snapshot.  Again I go Red>Green with colors like Aqua/Blue being more special assignments, Pink/Purple being actual Stomps and Red/Orange/Yellow being my snapshots

5.  I enter Stomp Mode, enter Command Center and I create "MY" live palette of tones for that song.  using the above mapped layouts.  1/2 always for PREV/NEXT assignments, 6-10 are usually for snapshots (starting from the right, next to tap tempo, and moving left.  Right = lead, Left = more rhythm sounds) and buttons 3-5 are for Stomps if I need it.  

With the saving favorites and such, it I can create some presets in literally 30 seconds and some of my more complicated snapshot changes type stuff about 10 min at most.  But whats important to me is that its consistent for me live.  I like that all the switches I'm not using are blank/blacked out.  I make sure snapshots are saved with no name (spaces) if I'm not using them and do not have a color on them as well.  So on the Blink 182 preset up above, I literally only see the PREV/NEXT buttons, the Rhythm snapshot and the PHASER momentary button.  

Shoot me an email and I'll try and respond with some pictures and such if you want.  not really show how to send video through here or if a vid will fit via email.  But always happy to answer questions. 

Lots of trial and error and some great innovation from Line 6 got me to this point.

Magnificent stuff, can't wait to try this method. I think it's kind of what I've been aiming for without knowing it! If you get time, send an email over to me at paul@paulzx.plus.com

Thanks for all the explanations!

A bit off topic but seeing as you mention Blink 182, interesting what Tom DeLonge is doing these days isn't it?

12 hours ago, PaulTBaker said:

Couldn't you use one of your snapshots to change the parameter of the output block

You could, but I don't think you could do it just isolating the volume boost, I don't think you could bypass all the effects blocks could you?

5 hours ago, Paulzx said:

You could, but I don't think you could do it just isolating the volume boost, I don't think you could bypass all the effects blocks could you?

If i understand you correctly, you are correct. themetallikid has your solution. I've known about this and it is sooooo cool. You can program any switch to do anything on a per patch basis. I think you can even program one to get you a beer! The robot is not provided so cost is an issue.

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, brue58ski said:

If i understand you correctly, you are correct. themetallikid has your solution. I've known about this and it is sooooo cool. You can program any switch to do anything on a per patch basis. I think you can even program one to get you a beer! The robot is not provided so cost is an issue.

Greatly waiting for the 'get me a beer' update of 3.1 coming 'soon'.   

I heard they are releasing a new helix summer 2021 that has a bottle opener included on the expression pedal.  

• 2 weeks later...

Hey metallkid, I've got my patches set up now for this and added the gain block to a foot switch and its definitely the most versatile way to go.

I've noticed one thing though. My snapshots along the top work independently of the stomps along the bottom so if I hit a snapshot but decide to also use an additional stomp, when I hit another snapshot, the stomp stays on so you would have to turn off that stomp before using another snap.

I suppose the stomps are working completely on their own regardless of the snaps you're using. Is that how yours works?

4 hours ago, Paulzx said:

Hey metallkid, I've got my patches set up now for this and added the gain block to a foot switch and its definitely the most versatile way to go.

I've noticed one thing though. My snapshots along the top work independently of the stomps along the bottom so if I hit a snapshot but decide to also use an additional stomp, when I hit another snapshot, the stomp stays on so you would have to turn off that stomp before using another snap.

I suppose the stomps are working completely on their own regardless of the snaps you're using. Is that how yours works?

Yes, I dont have many presets that have snaps and stomps in them....but last night was my first outing with that type of approach.  American Girl - Tom Petty.  I have 5 snaps - Intro, Verse, Chorus, Solo 1 and Solo 2.    Its a 3 amp beast of a preset....

Intro - Basically my Lead Gritty core tone, but with a chorus (dimension, switch 1, 25% mix) on

Verse - Gritty Rhythm tone, no effects

Chorus - Boosted Gritty for a touch more grit, but not into pushed amp territory

Solo 1/2 - these are a more gainier marshall type tone

Stomp - Dimension Chorus - Button 3.

So when playing I start with Intro, then when words start I go to the Verse snap.  When the 2nd part of the verse comes through where the picking is more prominent and not strumming chords, I kick the Stomp-Dimension on....when I go into the Chorus Snap the chorus is still on and I need to turn it off.  

Its weird, cause 2 of my snaps have the chorus block enabled and 3 of them have it disabled by how the snap is saved, but the stomp when active seems to override the snap response...however if the stomp is inactive, the snap works fine to turn the effect on.....seems to only affect turning the stomp block(s) off.  Minor inconvenience as long as I know its there.  Something like the chorus on this song isnt a huge thing if its on.....

1 fun thing I have done with another preset, Crazy Train... is adding the Phase 90 type sound to my leads, as well as getting the lead boost.  I used to have to create duplicate blocks of everything I wanted....setting up one as a snapshot lead (for the solo) and another as a momentary stomp type switch for all the fill leads.  With the command center....I have buttons 9/10 as snapshots 1/2.  Button 7 I have also as a HX Snapshot button...but upon Press it activates Snapshot 2, and release it activates Snapshot 1.  I have this switch set to Momentary...so that when I go to do the fill leads during the chorus'....its step on, shred, let button off...return to guitar normalcy, lol.   

Just to add to this as well, i have a seperate expression pedal I use for Wah all the time, its dedicated to Wah use when its present in my presets.  But dont let that on board pedal go to waste either.  I dont do a lot of volume pedal stuff.....but I essentially use the Expression pedal 1 to activate things like a snapshot change.  Being that I play and sing, sometimes its easier to stand with my foot on the pedal (rockstar pose if you will with a leg up) and as I'm singing and need to change between 2 sounds....rock the pedal from toe>heel.  I have it set so that when the pedal gets to 98% it activates whatever blocks I have attached to it, then when back to the other sound...toe is back down at 100%.  You could essentially do this with the toe switch as well, but I've never been a fan of toe switches on expression pedals.  Even my wah is set to activate at 98% so it bypasses in a 'step on' sorta method.  

FYI, apologize for not emailing you...any videos I tried to take were too large to try and send, i'm not familiar with uploading videos enough to make them smaller.  

The new Stomp Mode is indeed now very versatile and worth investing some time into getting up to speed with.

FYI - There is another simple solution here - just get an external footswitch and program it for your boost function.

Also, there is a global setting that will control whether your snapshots remain where you've changed them or always revert back to the saved state.

19 hours ago, DBCrocky said:

The new Stomp Mode is indeed now very versatile and worth investing some time into getting up to speed with.

FYI - There is another simple solution here - just get an external footswitch and program it for your boost function.

Also, there is a global setting that will control whether your snapshots remain where you've changed them or always revert back to the saved state.

Thanks for the tips.. well my snaps are reverting to saved state, it's just that they don't override the individual stomps on or off.

Yeah I did think about external pedal but don't need it now as I can assign that gain boost to my last foot switch

19 hours ago, themetallikid said:

Yes, I dont have many presets that have snaps and stomps in them....but last night was my first outing with that type of approach.  American Girl - Tom Petty.  I have 5 snaps - Intro, Verse, Chorus, Solo 1 and Solo 2.    Its a 3 amp beast of a preset....

Intro - Basically my Lead Gritty core tone, but with a chorus (dimension, switch 1, 25% mix) on

Verse - Gritty Rhythm tone, no effects

Chorus - Boosted Gritty for a touch more grit, but not into pushed amp territory

Solo 1/2 - these are a more gainier marshall type tone

Stomp - Dimension Chorus - Button 3.

So when playing I start with Intro, then when words start I go to the Verse snap.  When the 2nd part of the verse comes through where the picking is more prominent and not strumming chords, I kick the Stomp-Dimension on....when I go into the Chorus Snap the chorus is still on and I need to turn it off.  

Its weird, cause 2 of my snaps have the chorus block enabled and 3 of them have it disabled by how the snap is saved, but the stomp when active seems to override the snap response...however if the stomp is inactive, the snap works fine to turn the effect on.....seems to only affect turning the stomp block(s) off.  Minor inconvenience as long as I know its there.  Something like the chorus on this song isnt a huge thing if its on.....

1 fun thing I have done with another preset, Crazy Train... is adding the Phase 90 type sound to my leads, as well as getting the lead boost.  I used to have to create duplicate blocks of everything I wanted....setting up one as a snapshot lead (for the solo) and another as a momentary stomp type switch for all the fill leads.  With the command center....I have buttons 9/10 as snapshots 1/2.  Button 7 I have also as a HX Snapshot button...but upon Press it activates Snapshot 2, and release it activates Snapshot 1.  I have this switch set to Momentary...so that when I go to do the fill leads during the chorus'....its step on, shred, let button off...return to guitar normalcy, lol.   

Just to add to this as well, i have a seperate expression pedal I use for Wah all the time, its dedicated to Wah use when its present in my presets.  But dont let that on board pedal go to waste either.  I dont do a lot of volume pedal stuff.....but I essentially use the Expression pedal 1 to activate things like a snapshot change.  Being that I play and sing, sometimes its easier to stand with my foot on the pedal (rockstar pose if you will with a leg up) and as I'm singing and need to change between 2 sounds....rock the pedal from toe>heel.  I have it set so that when the pedal gets to 98% it activates whatever blocks I have attached to it, then when back to the other sound...toe is back down at 100%.  You could essentially do this with the toe switch as well, but I've never been a fan of toe switches on expression pedals.  Even my wah is set to activate at 98% so it bypasses in a 'step on' sorta method.  

FYI, apologize for not emailing you...any videos I tried to take were too large to try and send, i'm not familiar with uploading videos enough to make them smaller.  

Yeah no worries about the email mate. Every time I read one of your set up descriptions, I end up like a rabbit staring into the headlights haha - I understand what you're doing

function wise but have no idea how you got there!

In fact I think I've probably set up wrongly because I enabled the snap/stomp mode 10 footswitch mode, and arranged the top row as snaps and the bottom row as stomps, but I didn't need to do anything in the command centre, so I think you're doing something different obviously.

When you go into your global settings/footswitch mode, what actual mode are you selecting? Then in command centre - what options are you assigning to each switch?

When I looked in command centre at the options you can assign to the foot switches, it made no sense to me at all.

And lastly.. on your crazy train patch just out of interest, what amp/IR/distortion pedal blocks are you using? I take it you're going for the recorded version rather than a more modern Zakk Wylde version?

1 hour ago, Paulzx said:

Yeah no worries about the email mate. Every time I read one of your set up descriptions, I end up like a rabbit staring into the headlights haha - I understand what you're doing

function wise but have no idea how you got there!

In fact I think I've probably set up wrongly because I enabled the snap/stomp mode 10 footswitch mode, and arranged the top row as snaps and the bottom row as stomps, but I didn't need to do anything in the command centre, so I think you're doing something different obviously.

When you go into your global settings/footswitch mode, what actual mode are you selecting? Then in command centre - what options are you assigning to each switch?

When I looked in command centre at the options you can assign to the foot switches, it made no sense to me at all.

And lastly.. on your crazy train patch just out of interest, what amp/IR/distortion pedal blocks are you using? I take it you're going for the recorded version rather than a more modern Zakk Wylde version?

Ahh yes, your starting on the wrong road, thus the directions to turn dont make sense.  haha.  

Global settings - I have it set as  8 Preset Mode. 

So my overall approach is this....'build core tone presets that sound good, and then migrate those sounds into song specific presets'.  Favorite Blocks now have made this stupid easy for me.  Initially when designing my Core tones (Clean, Gritty, Pushed Amp, Crunch, Rock, Hard Rock (more to come eventually, but this gets me through 90% of the songs live)) I create a whole preset for that tone....for me to use when just jamming at home and auditioning 'tones' for songs I wanna build.  I save the blocks labeling them as 'J Rock Amp' or 'J Gritty AMP IR' or 'J Dimension'.  that way when I recall my favorites I can pull the ones that are 'my' tones I created.  

When I'm sound leveling my presets, also having 8 presets on a layout makes it much easier to jump between them.  the way I set up my first Setlist - Core Tones, is that the bottom 4 stomps are the rhythm versions of those tones and the top 4 presets are the lead versions.   So 'bank 1' is clean/gritty/pushed/crunch  (rhythm on bottom, lead on top), 'bank 2' is rock/hard rock with the same rhythm/lead on bottom/top).  

Now, when I'm going to build my song specific presets (this is literally my walk through process)...I stay in the 8 preset mode....I do my building in HX Edit....but lets say I'm going to create All The Small Things - Blink 182, in Setlist 2 - Song Library.  I pull up the blank preset location in Setlist 2 that I want, then on the Helix, I step on the Mode switch to go from 8 preset  mode > Stomp Mode.  I paste my favorite blocks into the preset that I need.  In this case I'll add my J - Rock Amp, J Rock AMP IR, J Script Phase , J Reverb, J Lead Delay.  I'll rename the preset "All The Small Things", I'll rename Snapshot 1 - Rhythm and change the color to Red.  I'll go to Snapshot 2 and rename Lead/Bridge or something, I'll change the color to turquoise or green depending if I do Lead/Bridge as the name.  (I always do Leads as Green and bridges or other parts as Turquoise).  I'll go back to Snapshot 1, turn off the blocks that I want, add Snapshot controller to the output Volume at the end of the chain (I design presets at -4db, and then go up to 0.00db for lead snapshots depending on what the sound needs).  I go to snapshot 2 and then turn on my Phaser/Delay blocks, adjust output to -1.00db.  I'll then enter Command Center and program buttons 1/2/9/10 as I mapped up above.  1/2 being preset prev/next and 9/10 being assigned to snapshots 1/2 (rhythm/lead).  On my Helix now I should only show the 4 buttons I assigned to the Stomp Layout screen.   

When I play live, I'll take the songs (always backup/export your presets) and import them into Setlist 3 in the order that we will be playing live so I can just go preset > preset > preset.  If for some reason we call an audible and need to jump....I'll stomp the 'Mode' button which puts me back into 8 preset mode and gives me access to bank switching instead of preset switching to jump to the preset I need, go back into stomp mode and there is my live layout again waiting for me as designed for that song.  

The bigger less detailed version, lol

Setlist 1 - Core tones (general designs, also good for home jamming or live impromptu stuff)

Setlist 2 - Song Preset specific library

Setlist 3 - Setlist order versions of presets created in Setlist 2.

Hope this helps....let me know....

On 1/25/2021 at 3:44 PM, themetallikid said:

Ahh yes, your starting on the wrong road, thus the directions to turn dont make sense.  haha.  

Global settings - I have it set as  8 Preset Mode. 

So my overall approach is this....'build core tone presets that sound good, and then migrate those sounds into song specific presets'.  Favorite Blocks now have made this stupid easy for me.  Initially when designing my Core tones (Clean, Gritty, Pushed Amp, Crunch, Rock, Hard Rock (more to come eventually, but this gets me through 90% of the songs live)) I create a whole preset for that tone....for me to use when just jamming at home and auditioning 'tones' for songs I wanna build.  I save the blocks labeling them as 'J Rock Amp' or 'J Gritty AMP IR' or 'J Dimension'.  that way when I recall my favorites I can pull the ones that are 'my' tones I created.  

When I'm sound leveling my presets, also having 8 presets on a layout makes it much easier to jump between them.  the way I set up my first Setlist - Core Tones, is that the bottom 4 stomps are the rhythm versions of those tones and the top 4 presets are the lead versions.   So 'bank 1' is clean/gritty/pushed/crunch  (rhythm on bottom, lead on top), 'bank 2' is rock/hard rock with the same rhythm/lead on bottom/top).  

Now, when I'm going to build my song specific presets (this is literally my walk through process)...I stay in the 8 preset mode....I do my building in HX Edit....but lets say I'm going to create All The Small Things - Blink 182, in Setlist 2 - Song Library.  I pull up the blank preset location in Setlist 2 that I want, then on the Helix, I step on the Mode switch to go from 8 preset  mode > Stomp Mode.  I paste my favorite blocks into the preset that I need.  In this case I'll add my J - Rock Amp, J Rock AMP IR, J Script Phase , J Reverb, J Lead Delay.  I'll rename the preset "All The Small Things", I'll rename Snapshot 1 - Rhythm and change the color to Red.  I'll go to Snapshot 2 and rename Lead/Bridge or something, I'll change the color to turquoise or green depending if I do Lead/Bridge as the name.  (I always do Leads as Green and bridges or other parts as Turquoise).  I'll go back to Snapshot 1, turn off the blocks that I want, add Snapshot controller to the output Volume at the end of the chain (I design presets at -4db, and then go up to 0.00db for lead snapshots depending on what the sound needs).  I go to snapshot 2 and then turn on my Phaser/Delay blocks, adjust output to -1.00db.  I'll then enter Command Center and program buttons 1/2/9/10 as I mapped up above.  1/2 being preset prev/next and 9/10 being assigned to snapshots 1/2 (rhythm/lead).  On my Helix now I should only show the 4 buttons I assigned to the Stomp Layout screen.   

When I play live, I'll take the songs (always backup/export your presets) and import them into Setlist 3 in the order that we will be playing live so I can just go preset > preset > preset.  If for some reason we call an audible and need to jump....I'll stomp the 'Mode' button which puts me back into 8 preset mode and gives me access to bank switching instead of preset switching to jump to the preset I need, go back into stomp mode and there is my live layout again waiting for me as designed for that song.  

The bigger less detailed version, lol

Setlist 1 - Core tones (general designs, also good for home jamming or live impromptu stuff)

Setlist 2 - Song Preset specific library

Setlist 3 - Setlist order versions of presets created in Setlist 2.

Hope this helps....let me know....

Right okay, I'll try and follow this and see how it works out. I'll change back to 8 preset mode - but how exactly are you configuring this in the command centre

for the switches, because when I looked at the options you could assign to each foot switch, it didn't make a lot of sense to me.

49 minutes ago, Paulzx said:

Right okay, I'll try and follow this and see how it works out. I'll change back to 8 preset mode - but how exactly are you configuring this in the command centre

for the switches, because when I looked at the options you could assign to each foot switch, it didn't make a lot of sense to me.

Ive only really done it in HX Edit, so not sure on the buttons needed for on the unit setup...

but for HX Edit, I think its Window>Command Center...

When the window opens up.  it should look like the layout of your Helix.  Click on the upper left footswitch (footswitch 1), on the right where the drop down is listed, choose HX Preset, then adjust the one slider so it says Previous/Prev, I think it defaults to that.  Then Click on the 2nd footswitch (footswitch 2), on the right side drop down, change the slider to say 'next'.  Those two buttons then should now show on your Helix (if your in stomp mode) as those buttons with the rest blank.  

To assign any snapshots, do the same process, choose the footswitch you want to assign and choose HX Snapshot (I always work from right to left on the bottom row.  You can't reassign the Tap Tempo button/Mode buttons, even though it shows in the window layout, so you have to remember to start at the 2nd from the right.  Click on the footswitch in HX Edit, then on the right side, there are the options of Press/Release, Type...and I think another one (sorry going off memory while at work).  For most my snapshots I keep the type to Latching (meaning step on, and step on something else to make changes), the Press option you cycle through to choose the Snapshot you want the Pressing action to trigger (Snapshot 1 - Rhythm), repeat for all other snapshots.  If you want to set up something like I do with Crazy Train where I have the momentary for quick lead fills.  When you assign the Snapshot, under the type, change it to Momentary (Meaning it only activates while the button is held down), the Press action would be whatever snapshot you want it to trigger (in my Crazy Train notes above, it'd be snapshot 2, I think my Lead Snapshot), the Release option would be my rhythm snapshot (snapshot 1)  this means when the button is pushed its triggering Snapshot 3 and when I release it resorts back to Snapshot 1.  

Any sort of Stomps that I assign to footswitches I still assign while in the regular preset layout screen.  So I only use the Command Center to setup the navigation between presets and the navigation within the preset using snapshots.