Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

A smaller Helix Control

xJxBx

Hello,
I was wondering if I was the only one…
I'm really enjoying my Helix rack for the two past years! And with the new 3.0 update it's even more fun.

I bought the Helix rack to replace my heavy weight amp head. And really enjoy multiple amps, effects and more things I can't afford to buy.

And sometimes I'm thinking "should I buy the Helix Control?".

I would like to switch my presets, activate my pedals… But to be honest I find the Control too big.

If I want to go on rehearsal, I already have my guitar and my Helix's flightcase to bring. Have an other bag or case seems too much.

So I was thinking of a Control GO or Control Stomp.
Something like 6 buttons (3 on 3), in a smaller frame.

No screen, just colored LED around the buttons (to keep the spirit).

Maybe less EXP ports.

So I was wondering if I'm the only one thinking of something like this. And If I'm the only one to not possess a Control with my Helix Rack.

Seems like you're describing an HX Effects. It works pretty well just as a Controller, and it doubles as a DSP extension, if needed.

If you already have an iPad, you may consider using it as a MIDI Controller. I have made two different controllers for the Floor/LT/Rack.

1- Icon G-Board for Helix Devices: New 2021 release. Made to work with an iCon GBoard, including synced LEDs. This same Layout also works as a standalone controller. And the GBoard doubles as a Mackie MIDI Controller when used with a OS X computer running Logic Pro.

2- Helix Wireless MIDI controller: This one is about to be updated (probably next week). It works primarily as a standalone MIDI Controller (wireless or wired), but also will receive embedded support for the iRig Blueboard, and a small MIDI implementation to use any other configurable MIDI controllers.

Thank you for your solutions.

HX Effects cost more than Helix Control… It's not an option (for what I want to do).

But using it as a multi effects and liberating over 50% of the DSP could be really interesting.

And unfortunately I doesn't own any Ipad… 

I was really thinking about a native small "MIDI controler" with full compatibility.
A smaller Control, smaller price, smaller frame…

A smaller Helix Control just wouldn’t be financially viable for Line 6. The Rack already sells fewer units than any of the hardware SKUs, so further fracturing the market for the Control would just make it harder for both pieces. All things considered, the Control really isn’t that big. It’s pretty lightweight, and really, I can’t imagine using it without scribble strips. But as mentioned above, there are other MIDI controller options available on the market.

Also the Blackstar Live Logic Midi Control, is a nice little (and light) tool. Switches are a but noisy, but it's very easy to program, does accept or generate clock messages, has DIN OUT/IN, and can be used as USB Midi interface, compliant installation. 6 buttons on a row (personally I dont like 3 on 3, on a small footprint).

KEY FEATURES

• MIDI over USB for use with DAWs, plugins and live sequencer/sampling software like Ableton LiveTM.

• Can be used as your USB MIDI interface.

• 2 x expression pedal inputs for continuous control of MIDI parameters.

• Controls Program Change, Control Change, Note and Clock messages.

image.jpeg.e2b6f408a9ebc5f7e64c2a9fa0662043.jpeg

Then, I need no more crap on the floor LOL!

3-D03-CB25-E203-4-ACB-8-EC4-5199986-B745

• Like 1

On 1/13/2021 at 11:59 PM, phil_m said:

A smaller Helix Control just wouldn’t be financially viable for Line 6. The Rack already sells fewer units than any of the hardware SKUs, so further fracturing the market for the Control would just make it harder for both pieces. All things considered, the Control really isn’t that big. It’s pretty lightweight, and really, I can’t imagine using it without scribble strips. But as mentioned above, there are other MIDI controller options available on the market.

Yes I understand this completely.

20 hours ago, PierM said:

Also the Blackstar Live Logic Midi Control, is a nice little (and light) tool. Switches are a but noisy, but it's very easy to program, does accept or generate clock messages, has DIN OUT/IN, and can be used as USB Midi interface, compliant installation. 6 buttons on a row (personally I dont like 3 on 3, on a small footprint).

KEY FEATURES

• MIDI over USB for use with DAWs, plugins and live sequencer/sampling software like Ableton LiveTM.

• Can be used as your USB MIDI interface.

• 2 x expression pedal inputs for continuous control of MIDI parameters.

• Controls Program Change, Control Change, Note and Clock messages.

image.jpeg.e2b6f408a9ebc5f7e64c2a9fa0662043.jpeg

Then, I need no more crap on the floor LOL!

3-D03-CB25-E203-4-ACB-8-EC4-5199986-B745

This look great! Awesome gear BTW!
Do you directly plug the Live Logic in the midi in and out output of the Helix rack ?

19 hours ago, Punki1313 said:

Do you directly plug the Live Logic in the midi in and out output of the Helix rack ?

In my case no, as I have the Helix Control, so the Love Logic is used to MIDI remote the Infinity Looper. To use it with Helix you can just use the Midi OUT from Live Logic into Helix Midi IN. You could also use the Midi OUT from Helix, into Love Logic Midi IN, to send and receive the clock tempo and sync the led flash on the last Live Logic footswitch. 

Keep in mind that Helix Control, as the floor, gives you 6 sub modes that you wont have with midi controllers; stomp, snapshot, preset, bank, block editing, looper, other than tuning and tap/tempo. Also remember that helix doesnt send stomp status MIDI data, so toggles on the midi controller leds, might be different than toggles status on the Helix. Basically, when you roll between presets, you wont get the Midi controller receiving any information about stomp status.

Honestly, Id grab a Helix Control. I see more pros than cons. :)

So, to continue pushing you toward a Control...

I have the Helix Rack and Control, and one really nice thing is that the VDI cable caries all signals AND power.  You won't get the integration between the Rack and Controller with other MIDI controllers, all with only one cable run from the rack to controller.  You can even add three pedals and it all still works on one cable.  And with the new Helix Command Center options from firmware 2.9 you are no longer stuck with only 4 buttons and a bank down button on the bottom row...

I use the Mission Line-6 expression pedals, you can get ones with or without a toe switch.

Good Luck!