Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix stereo behavior with more than two DT25s

stooxie

Hello all,

Searched through the manuals and I can't find anything that says how (or IF) the Helix LT will allocate stereo channels if you have 3 or 4 DT25s connected via L6. Easy enough to find where it describes the behavior for two, but what about 3 or 4? Also, it would be nice if there was a way to change it in the DT25 output block. Say 1+2 are left and 3+4 are right or assign them individually.

Of course I am talking about powered DT25 combos or heads, not extension cabs.

Thanks for any help!

-Stooxie

So through some experimentation I have found the following in terms of stereo assignment via L6:

1 unit: collapsed into mono

2 units: Unit 1 is left, unit 2 is right

3 units: Units 1 and 2 are left and 3 is right

4 units: Units 1 and 2 are left and 3 and 4 are right.

However, only units 1 and 2 will have their power amp settings controlled by the Helix. It would be awesome if there was an option to get the Helix to control all of them. It would also be awesome if the Helix could select which type of on-board reverb the DT uses.

-Stooxie

• 2 months later...

I have some sick plans to run it through both amps on one fx loop then my pedal board on the other, I already have a Variax from the intial line6 launch plus will run it all through reason10 which I will have synced to a midi pedal board and keyboard! But I have ZERO time, I work in IT/supply chain, so work is currently INSANE with the world shifting to work from home!

ToysRUS Credit Card Login

On 1/19/2021 at 8:03 AM, stooxie said:

So through some experimentation I have found the following in terms of stereo assignment via L6:

1 unit: collapsed into mono

2 units: Unit 1 is left, unit 2 is right

3 units: Units 1 and 2 are left and 3 is right

4 units: Units 1 and 2 are left and 3 and 4 are right.

However, only units 1 and 2 will have their power amp settings controlled by the Helix. It would be awesome if there was an option to get the Helix to control all of them. It would also be awesome if the Helix could select which type of on-board reverb the DT uses.

-Stooxie

Not that I’m going to be any help, but I’ve only looked at this with my POD HD500x experimenting for someone else whom asked a question about it a couple of weeks ago. Would be interested if someone whom does know how this would work with Helix. I haven’t switch to a helix because of the L6 limited integration until their recent change with the firmware update and even now it’s still not as integrated as it is with the HD series. Line 6 has left us DT users in limbo in this integration with Helix unless someone chimes in to say otherwise. 
I’m curious.

Jd

I think the Helix DT Amp integration that they put in there for us is very good.   The only thing the HD does better is automatically switch from full amp models to pre, and associate the amp/pre models with the amp type and feedback loop.  With the Helix, you have to know which class you want and setup the output section the way you want.   It's not to hard to figure out what sounds bets for the models in the Helix.  That integration wouldn't make sense with the Helix because the HD models don't lineup with the Helix.   I agree with Stooxie it would be awesome to be able to control the reverb, but I understand why they don't do that.    Most folks aren't going to be happy with using a HD reverb when they have the better reverbs in the Helix. 

I'm very happy with the Helix DT integration the way it is.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, bobcoss said:

I think the Helix DT Amp integration that they put in there for us is very good.   The only thing the HD does better is automatically switch from full amp models to pre, and associate the amp/pre models with the amp type and feedback loop.  With the Helix, you have to know which class you want and setup the output section the way you want.   It's not to hard to figure out what sounds bets for the models in the Helix.  That integration wouldn't make sense with the Helix because the HD models don't lineup with the Helix.   I agree with Stooxie it would be awesome to be able to control the reverb, but I understand why they don't do that.    Most folks aren't going to be happy with using a HD reverb when they have the better reverbs in the Helix. 

I'm very happy with the Helix DT integration the way it is.  

Not sure what any of that has to do with stereo behavior of more than 2 units.

Look, Line 6 makes a huge deal about their L6 link as a selling feature of these products. I'm not talking about making the Helix integrate with the DTs like the HD500 does, in terms of total FX loop insertion and all that. I'm talking about simply extending the control command operation to units 3 and 4, and adding that to the Output block. Also, adding a simple drop-down menu that would select the reverb can't be too difficult. People that have DT amps would appreciate not being left behind by Line 6. I don't think I'm asking for anything that is going to require extensive development or regression testing here.

Also I believe the HD500 does a lot differently in terms of controlling the DTs, i.e. being able to assign L or R to any of them and being able to send wet/dry to any of them. I don't have one, but that's what I read in the manual.

Line 6 makes awesome stuff, they don't need any apologists. They need to support users that spent insane cash with them.

-Stooxie

Sorry about my enthusiasm.  My reply was meant to encourage Jakeman19 to go ahead and get the Helix.  He seems to be on the fence because of the integration.

Thank you for figuring out the existing behavior for DT control.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2021 at 2:14 PM, bobcoss said:

Sorry about my enthusiasm.  My reply was meant to encourage Jakeman19 to go ahead and get the Helix.  He seems to be on the fence because of the integration.

Thank you for figuring out the existing behavior for DT control.  

So it controls the DT fine, but I'm curious can you have post amp effects like you could with POD HD500x via the L6 link? Not sure how this works. 

Jd

18 hours ago, jakeman19 said:

So it controls the DT fine, but I'm curious can you have post amp effects like you could with POD HD500x via the L6 link? Not sure how this works. 

Jd

The short answer is: NO. The PodHDs/DTs and the Helix have completely different architectures and that was the limitation in order to make it work. In order to do things the way the PodHDs did required two-way communication via L6-link. The "fix" was only one way communication out to the amps. You'll have to do 4CableMethod in order to get post processing, but unless you REALLY like the sounds of the DT preamp, there is little point in that. Channel A is replaced with the Helix amps, which by most accounts is better.  I have this setup and love only using the one cable. L6-link has been through a few generations of gear at this point and I hope they do more with it in the future. Unfortunately some legacy gear will have limited functionality with it when trying to connect to the newer stuff.