Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Integrating the HX Stomp in a pedalboard

Euripides

Hello all,

After recently purchasing HX Stomp I have been blown away by its myriads of options and solutions to using in practice, rehearsal and concert settings. Having said that, I would love to integrate this lovely piece of gear in my existing pedalboard which I would like to describe in detail. The pedalboard consists of an EC Pedals Superswitcher, an audio switcher much similar to RJM's products or Gigrig, which allows me to connect all my favourite pedals and maintain my amp's pure tone (debatable and subjective, I know, but at least to my ears it sounds like it!)

The switcher, as you can tell from the diagram attached, is separated in two different sets of loops 1-4 in front of the amp, 5-8 whatever is in the amp's FX Loop. Currently, I'm using a  couple of loops (e.g Loop 1 & 2) for a Fuzz and Whammy pedal respectively and three loops for time based FX which are in the amp's FX Loop, namely an analogue delay (Jam Pedals Delay Llama, Strymon Big Sky reverb and Eventide Time Factor). There is also an RJM Amp Gizmo in the mix to allow me to connect most pedals and the switcher via MIDI in order to recall presets on the switcher and control the amp's features or channels.

It goes without saying that I'm not too keen on keeping the Time Factor but I'm pondering removing it to be replaced by the HX Stomp. Ideally, I would like to connect the HX Stomp to have both FX in front of the amp and in the FX Loop. My guess is, and this is where I would love everyone's input and knowledge, that I would have to use the same idea as the 4CM with connecting cables in both sets of loops (e.g Loop 3 for the FX in front of the amp, Loop 8 for time based FX in the amp's FX Loop).  I would then save each preset on the switcher with both Loops 3 and 8 engaged in order to hear the HX Stomp;

As a third step, I would save my presets and assign them MIDI  commands in order for them to be recalled via the switcher.

As you can tell it can get a bit confusing and this pedalboard has worked perfectly for me so far, however, I would love to add my HX Stomp to the equation and make it work even more flawlessly. Grateful for any advice!

Sincerely,

Euripides

moreinfo.jpg

SS2_USER_MANUAL(2).pdf

The purpose of this kind of configuration is to allow the performer near infinite possibilities to do whatever crazy stuff they want to.

There's no "one size fits all" or "best practices". Everything you described and more is possible. "How to" is totally dependent on your specific needs.

FWIW - if you read many "rig rundowns", you know that many if not most top pros hire someone to build this type of rig for them, and/or have very clever roadies to set it up and maintain it. You're already a step ahead, have confidence in your abilities!

Personally, where my guitar rig is concerned, I'm of the "KISS" school.

Guitar plugs into Helix. Helix L6 Link plugs into Powercab. 2cm.

There's nothing I want or need to do that requires external pedals or a complex switching system.

I bought a Helix to eliminate all that.

I still use 4cm with my tube amp, when someone needs help. The amp is languishing on Craigslist and when it's sold, that's it.

Have fun experimenting and Good Luck!

Afterthought - if you have general questions concerning MIDI (not specific to your switcher), I may be able to help. While my performance guitar rig is simple, my "studio" setup -  synths, edrums, DAWs, VSTs - is another thing altogether, and I control it all from my Helix, an FCB1010/UNO board, an APC grid/pad controller and Korg nanoKontrol.