Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Sell or keep Audio-Interface and use Helix?

pocpga

Hey!

I bought the Helix Floor and Powercab 112+  two weeks ago and I'm very happy! (basically blown away, modeller got soooo good, damn!)

I also have a Babyface Pro FS and I know that the Helix is also a audio-interface... I dont play in a band, I dont gig, I only make music at home with my DAW. 

Now I'm asking me if it would make sense to sell my babyface pro fs or should I keep it?

What do you think guys and girls?

I'm thankfull for some advices!

20 minutes ago, DunedinDragon said:

I sold my old audio interface and just use the Helix directly connected to the DAW with the studio monitors attached to it.  It actually greatly simplified my workflow when recording.

Thanks - I think I will go the same way.

Personally... I would keep the babyface pro. 

I prefer to keep some separation in my products, so the failure of one product will not stop my workflow... only slow it down. 

Although I mostly work solo in my home/project studio, I also like having the option to track a pair of mic inputs... especially on my acoustic instruments. Doing that with the Helix would require a separate mic pre and/or mixer. YMMV. 

There is also likely to be a "sound" with the babyface pro that will differ from the Helix. Try them both to see if you are OK with the difference before making a decision. Never under-estimate the tonal quality of a mic pre. I am not saying the Helix won't be great in this regard, I'm just saying it won't be the same :) 

41 minutes ago, codamedia said:

Personally... I would keep the babyface pro. 

I prefer to keep some separation in my products, so the failure of one product will not stop my workflow... only slow it down. 

Although I mostly work solo in my home/project studio, I also like having the option to track a pair of mic inputs... especially on my acoustic instruments. Doing that with the Helix would require a separate mic pre and/or mixer. YMMV. 

There is also likely to be a "sound" with the babyface pro that will differ from the Helix. Try them both to see if you are OK with the difference before making a decision. Never under-estimate the tonal quality of a mic pre. I am not saying the Helix won't be great in this regard, I'm just saying it won't be the same :) 

That is a good argument if one part of my setup will fail, thats true. 

I dont use mic and so on... I only play E-Guitar Blues and Shred. Have 2 Adam Audio Studio speaker and a good pair of Headphones for mastering. 

And I dont plan to expand because I have everything I need. 

I will think about but I tend to sell... Also the babyface has still a great 2nd hand value. 

But it is not easy to decide, because the babyface is really really good. 

Btw: I feel the Soundoutput from the helix is better than the babyface. (it is subjectiv, just my perception) 

• Like 1

If you never play through VSTs (you only direct monitor from Helix) then it doesn't matter, Helix is fine.

If you plan to play through VSTs (guitar, KB or eDrums) then the Babyface likely has better RTL (Round Trip Latency).

You can measure and compare using a program such as Oblique Audio's RTL Utility.

36 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

If you never play through VSTs (you only direct monitor from Helix) then it doesn't matter, Helix is fine.

If you plan to play through VSTs (guitar, KB or eDrums) then the Babyface likely has better RTL (Round Trip Latency).

You can measure and compare using a program such as Oblique Audio's RTL Utility.

I allready tested VSTs (Sound-Lab, DSP-Nolly) in FL-Studio - I dont feel any difference talking about latency... 

(I have a very good CPU maybe thats why)

I also have never experienced any latency problems using the Helix as the audio interface, and I use a pretty wide range of VST plugins like True Piano, some various session drum kits, and whole range of EQ and vocal stuff.  But again I'm dealing with a pretty powerful setup on my desktop PC.

My i7 laptop will get down to 64samples without glitches. There's approx a 5ms difference between my Helix (12.8ms) and my Scarlett (7.6ms). Doesn't bother me either, and I also play both Keys and eDrums as well as guitar.. Some people claim 2ms bothers them. Just thought I'd put it out there in case you're one of them.

If I would experience a difference in latency I definitely would keep the babyface... 100%

But there isn't any difference... In this respect and in my circumstances it wouldn't make much sense to keep it.

Well: I dont know any other reasons, thats why this thread. :)

(maybe If my helix would break...)

I disconnected my Scarlett & used the Helix rack as my interface for awhile.  The sound difference was pretty significant to my ears, with the Helix the clear winner.  I ran into a few limitations though & purchased an RME UCX interface.  i definitely would not sell the BF Pro.  When I listen to CD's on my system now, I hear stuff that I never knew was there before.