Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hx effects and hx stomp, same DSP? Post 3.0 thoughts

Bmicona

I thought I read that the Effects and Stomp had the exact same DSP chip in them. So now that the Stomp can have 1 block less than the Effects, and an external extra 2 buttons can be had for little money, giving you one less switch, don't the scales tip quite a bit heavier on the Stomp side if someone were to be choosing between the 2 in 2021?

I had a Stomp, wasn't using the models, so I got an Effects. Which takes up a lot of room on the board, but now it almost seems like with the added blocks, having the benefits of the stomp (ability to be an interface, amp models if one were to ever need them) make the stomp a no brainier these days. Thoughts? Am I wrong on the DSP allotment?

They do have the exact same processor and the same DSP allocation. That’s correct. The HX Effects has eight footswitches and six scribble strips though. In my opinion, it’s a lot easier to use the HX Effects as a standalone unit (that’s to say without any additional external control devices) than it is the Stomp.

I use my HX Effects to extend either Helix or HX Stomp, but got it originally to use with my old tube amp. That amp is currently in storage and hasn't seen a gig in close to 30 years.

If I were doing a traditional pedalboard, I'd use HX Stomp for the size and flexibility. See