Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pod Hd500x... The Worst Pedalboard Into The Amp?!?!?

nico74

Sending your POD's output into your amp's FX loop return rather than the

amp's input, will result in a completely different tonal character as-well .

Of Course... I did it,  But i didn't like anyway, tryed direct, combo front, combo pwr amp, stack front, stack power amp.....nothing!

i tried on mixer and it sounds good, i played into the dt50, it sounds good.

but on other amps it sounds very small, too high frequencies, too distorted sounds.

so i sent my pod hd500x back to the vendor!

nobody is perfect, but please don't say thet the pod hd500x plays good anywhere !

i started play guitar 27 years agò, when i was 13, i had many racks effect, pedals, amps, pedalboards... i'm not a new entry.

so i'm not perfect too, but  i believe i have a discreet sense of hearing.

• Upvote 1

Of Course... I did it,  But i didn't like anyway, tryed direct, combo front, combo pwr amp, stack front, stack power amp.....nothing!

i tried on mixer and it sounds good, i played into the dt50, it sounds good.

but on other amps it sounds very small, too high frequencies, too distorted sounds.

so i sent my pod hd500x back to the vendor!

nobody is perfect, but please don't say thet the pod hd500x plays good anywhere !

i started play guitar 27 years agò, when i was 13, i had many racks effect, pedals, amps, pedalboards... i'm not a new entry.

so i'm not perfect too, but  i believe i have a discreet sense of hearing.

It's ok that you don't like the HD pod sound, there are plenty of other things to pump your sound through. In hind sight it would have been nice if you put the kind of experience you have at the beginning of the thread so we know where your coming from. Your opinions are respected and so should others. When this sort of thing happens to me I shift gears quickly and move on so as not to fall into the abiss of distraction.

Yep, if it's not working for you, sending it back is an option.

It is not fun fiddling with gear but as many have said, the HD500(X) isn't a simple stomp box. :blink:

It's a shame more people don't read up about the gear they're interested in before buying it so that 1) they have a clue on how to set it up, 2) they have a clue on what to expect from it and lastly, 3) they have a some patience to actually read the manual. ;)

I echo the fact that the HD distortion models are terrible. The only two I use are the "Tube Drive" and "Screamer" but... only to boost and/or augment the Amp for a solo or song section. For distortion, I use and overdriven Amp model.

It's a shame more people don't read up about the gear they're interested in before buying it

You can read up all you like but until you get it home and use it on your own gear you can't tell what it's going to sound like. 

Personally I bought it first due to some good reviews and I didn't mind reading all the guides, asking questions on the forum, doing extra research, etc. spending a lot of time on this did make me learn a LOT but at the end of the day I'd like to see that effort rewarded with some good tones I'm happy with.

s

At some point in December I started fooling around with a 500X and found it to work fine in all ways. Recently a DT25 was added and it and the 500x work together in a profound way. None of the problems that I've read about here have been experienced.  I am very pleased with the rig. It is great live as well as recording. Now I am considering another DT25 to make my rig stereo. This is a great site by the way.

• Upvote 1

Recently a DT25 was added and it and the 500x work together in a profound way. None of the problems that I've read about here have been experienced.

I'm thinking it may be the case you have to marry the POD with the right gear and some amps respond to it better than others.

s

I'm thinking it may be the case you have to marry the POD with the right gear and some amps respond to it better than others.

s

I think its more a matter of adjusting the POD to the gear....I've had mine into all sorts of systems: guitar cabs, FRFR, 3-way PA w/separate sub...all of them had the ability to sound good, but obviously using the same sounds from one to the other would never work. Honestly if people can't get these things to sound decent they either A) just don't like the sound/feel of digital, B) are not spending any time dialing it in or are just grabbing patches off CT and not editing them, or C) there is something wrong hardware-wise.

Honestly if people can't get these things to sound decent they either A) just don't like the sound/feel of digital, B) are not spending any time dialing it in or are just grabbing patches off CT and not editing them, or C) there is something wrong hardware-wise.

A ) i use the pod 2.0 from the 2001 and i like it, i know very well digital sound.

B ) i am kwonwn because i usually squeeze my equipment as a lemon

i readed all the manual before buying the pod hd500x... great functions, great reverbs, great delays, great modulations, great synth sound... i believe it is not the same for distortions!

i run my hd500x 4cm trough my full tube "brunetti xl revo", i can make almost all the distortions sound great through te clean channel(love the screamer and tube drive) ,(some just arent my taste)

,this was definitely not the case when i had the dt25 head(got stolen out of my car) using clean amp models that was a struggle. used amp model distortion mostly.

i also have alot of analog overdrives and distortions ocd, bogner red, riot etc, yes analog offers someting extra but the hd500x sounds very decent to me, very stage worthy.

the preamp models through the brunetti's power amp also sound very good, "maybe" better than th dt25 did, :ph34r: (do miss the negative feedback  topology's)

like "stephenSLR"  i also think the hd doesnt work for every amp

• 3 weeks later...

The 500x definitely doesn't fit all amps. I've tried it through quite a few now. It seems to love my Mesa Boogie Subway Rocket.. Hates my buddies Mark V. Hates my JCM800. I've run it every way you can imagine. It actually sounds pretty damn good run straight into the front of my Boogie, running on the clean channel.. Just using the 500x for FX.. Have a bank of sounds set up just for that, actually. It accepts my little Blackheart head reasonably well, too. I'll add that in for stereo sometimes.. But I usually just run it direct into my PA. It sounds decent running the output through my Boogies FX return in the Loop.. But it's godawful quiet. No master volume knob that controls the poweramp.. Just 2 individual channel volume knobs.. Bummer, because I'd use that setup exclusively for playing live. I'll just be running it 4cm and using my amps clean channel, though.. If I drag an amp out.

FWIW, and I haven't read all the pages here, just the first.. I've had a lot of success using the 500x's OD and distortion models for Blues type gain.

I've had a lot of success using the 500x's OD and distortion models for Blues type gain.

I can see it being good for clean Bluesy gains and possibly some thrash metal but I suspect the majority of complaints are from those seeking the crunchy Metal/Rock gains in between.

s

I haven't had any issues getting that kind of tone, either.. I'm in a cover band that does a lot of modern rock.. Think Nickelback, Godsmack, Disturbed, etc. You just have to coax it out. I sat down for nearly 2 weeks just exploring features and trying to get every possible tone I could out of it. I've gotten Jazz, Blues, Rock, Hard Rock, Metal, and more or less.. Everything in between. You just have to learn how to tweak it and you're set!

I can see it being good for clean Bluesy gains and possibly some thrash metal but I suspect the majority of complaints are from those seeking the crunchy Metal/Rock gains in between.

s

• Upvote 1

I totally agree.  I have been setting my POD up to work with my Crate V50 in 4CM and I can pretty much get everything with time and effort.  I had to get the signal levels right first or it just didn't sound right no matter what.  Once that was right other things began to fall into place.  If you are too weak or too strong hitting the amp you tend to compensate in other areas that diminish your tones.  I can pretty much match the cranked drive channel using distortion effects on the clean channel.  That tells me they are doing what they are supposed to do.  I also notice subtle differences between combo power and studio direct that I wasn't hearing before.  I like the combo direct better.  I also have some great patches using the POD preamps that just kick lollipop. 

• Upvote 1

I love kicking lollipops. :D

I totally agree.  I have been setting my POD up to work with my Crate V50 in 4CM and I can pretty much get everything with time and effort.  I had to get the signal levels right first or it just didn't sound right no matter what.  Once that was right other things began to fall into place.  If you are too weak or too strong hitting the amp you tend to compensate in other areas that diminish your tones.  I can pretty much match the cranked drive channel using distortion effects on the clean channel.  That tells me they are doing what they are supposed to do.  I also notice subtle differences between combo power and studio direct that I wasn't hearing before.  I like the combo direct better.  I also have some great patches using the POD preamps that just kick lollipop.

• 4 months later...

Hello Everyone I am having trouble getting my Pod HD500x Distortion setting to sound to come out of my Line 6 L2m to sound as good as my half stack, Which is a peavey ultra plus head and mesa traditional cab. The Pod sounds so thin and weak and has now cab like punch to it. I have literally tried everything and now i don't know what options i have left to try and see the results that i want. If anyone can help me out with this i would truly appreciate it. Thanks

Hello Everyone I am having trouble getting my Pod HD500x Distortion setting to sound to come out of my Line 6 L2m to sound as good as my half stack, Which is a peavey ultra plus head and mesa traditional cab. The Pod sounds so thin and weak and has now cab like punch to it. I have literally tried everything and now i don't know what options i have left to try and see the results that i want. If anyone can help me out with this i would truly appreciate it. Thanks

Are you using L6 Link to connect your HD500x to your L2m?   Have you tried using L2m in ELECTRIC Guitar mode for your patch?  Have you tried it using the HD500x in STUDIO/DIRECT and then in COMBO POWER output modes?   Are you using the CAB/MIC emulation in your patch when using the L2m?

Dear dead_zee ,

there is no way to obtain something Cool playing the pod into the amp.

However the pod sounds very good directly to the mixer.

I opened This topic some month ago'. Then after trying all solutions,i sent the pod hd500 back to the vendor and i received my money back.

For me this topic is closed.

• 2 months later...

There are a few other things that I didn't see mentioned:

- There is a global setting that needs to be changed based on whether you intend to use the unit to go direct, plug into an amp, or plug into a power amp.  Even if the amp and cabinet sims are turned off it seems there is additional tone shaping going on.  Press and hold the View button, go to System Setup, page 4: "The Mode setting on this page allows you to configure the type of signal fed to your POD HD500X analog outputs to optimize for direct recording versus connecting to an external amplifier. "   

- There is a switch near the expression pedal that indicates whether your 1/4" out is intended to go direct or into an amp. This should be set to "amp" as well.  

I can't vouch for whether configuring these additional settings would end up making it sound good through an amp, I can only vouch for the existence of these additional settings.  When I first got this I tried going into my amp just for kicks and it sounded terrible. That's when I looked at the manual and took note of the global settings, but since I use this to go direct I didn't want to change my global settings so I just left it at that.  

Is it as good as a tube amp with stomp boxes? No.  Do it get decent tones out of it by going direct?  Yes, after a whole lot of knob tweaking.  Is it easier to carry and more consistent than an amp and pedals?  Heck yes.  

Hope this helps.  

Sorry I just realized this topic is dead for the person who started it, but added the thoughts anyway in case someone else finds it useful.

So if the HD500 wasn't working for you, you did the best thing by just ridding yourself of it.  Some gear just does not 'click', no matter how much you spent on it.  I had a Fender Aerodyne Telecaster that I never fell in love with, even after putting in good pickups.  I sold it on ebay and the buyer responded telling me he thought it rocked.  Glad he is enjoying it.  I used that money to buy a barely used G&L ASAT Special Tribute which cost less and after a few months I already love more than my Fender that I had for 10 years.  

I am with you Joel. I have tried the 4CM into the PA (very nice) but my ears like it straight into a power amp & depending on the cab I flip through the output setting (studio direct, combo power.. etc..) to find the better match. My current favorite is an older 100w valvestate I recently dusted off.

-B

There is also a "guitar in" switch on the 500. It's next to the expression pedal. There are two settings to choose from. The lower setting is best for guitars with high output pickups. This could clear it up.

• 1 month later...

I like putting the fx loop block at the end of the chain. Then I put all my effects infront of the fx loop block. And use the fx send to feed my amp...into the guitar input on the pod, out of the fx send into the amp...that's how I use my pod for just it's effects

Some of the earlier posts mentioned that one can turn off the simulated amps and cabs and just use the effects. Can someone please tell me how to do that. I find that when I turn off the amps I don't get any sound at all, even when I'm plugged into an amplifier. Any help is greatly apprectiated.

thanks!

Some of the earlier posts mentioned that one can turn off the simulated amps and cabs and just use the effects. Can someone please tell me how to do that. I find that when I turn off the amps I don't get any sound at all, even when I'm plugged into an amplifier. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Check the settings for the disabled amp.  When you turn the amp off you still have Bypass volume instead of Channel Volume (same knob).  Make sure that the Bypass volume is turned up to where you need it.

Using the HD500X with a Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 36. I use 4cm and put the H&K preamp in the HD's effects loop. I us no amp models, just compressors, EQ, and occasional tube drive and tube screamer. I set the amp's gains to the saturation I want for solos, then us the HD's loop send level to decrease the gain to the H&K's preamp for cleaner sounds when desired.

Also,I discovered that when the HD is in ABCD mode, selecting a preset sends out a MIDI CC equivalent to the patch number - so I send that to the H&K. I have full control of my setup from the HD, and it sounds GREAT!!!

• Upvote 1

Forgot to mention it took me about three hours to get all the tones I need for my Allman Brothers tribute band. H&K channel 1 for Dickey's mostly clean plexi, channel 2 for Duane's tube screamer driven over driven plexi, and channel 3 for Warren's Soldano (well close enough). The HD 500X works great with the H&K Tubemeister 36.

• 3 weeks later...

I think the HD is as fine pedal board into the front of my tube amp - I just don't model any amps.  Using the HD500X to control the H&K Grandmeister (GM) 36.  I am a midi noob and this just works.  I can get a ton of tones.   I run the HD into the guitar input of the GM (not 4CM) and a midi cable.  The GM's reverb, delay, and simple effects are plenty good enough for a classic rock performance setting.  The HD runs wah, volume pedal, compression, EQ, noise gate, gain (patch cable across effects loop), and distortion - and midi controls the GM.  It's like modeling with tubes - I don't think I've ever been happier with a system.

At some point in December I started fooling around with a 500X and found it to work fine in all ways. Recently a DT25 was added and it and the 500x work together in a profound way. None of the problems that I've read about here have been experienced.  I am very pleased with the rig. It is great live as well as recording. Now I am considering another DT25 to make my rig stereo. This is a great site by the way.

+1 to this! Similar experience that I had. Loved the HD500 by itself; used it running into FX loop of a combo amp from 2011-2014- but adding the DT25 a year ago took it to a whole new level. Just recently added a second DT25 to run the stereo / dual amp models; both are at the shop getting new JJ's tubes and biased, so they are ready when I go into studio. We wrapped up the first round of drum takes with everyone elses' scratch tracks, my parts are still a couple weeks away. Need to get my guitars setup next.

sold my hd500 awhile ago and still have my dt 25....i am thinking of either getting a used pod hd500x or selling the dt25 and getting a blackstar id260 amp....what do you think?

The DT25 is an amazing amp, even without the HD500 linked to it. If you want to do a direct comparison, the DT25 is a Bogner tube amp. The Blackstar is solid state. In your case, since you already have the way more expensive / tube amp, spend some time with the MIDI interface, and tweak the onboard preamps that you can load into the DT25. With the most recent DT firmware, they increased the options substantially. 

http://line6.com/dtv2update/

Remember: when you link the DT25 to an HD500(x), you get a connection potential that is difficult if not impossible to find anywhere else with any other gear.

Personally, I like the HD500 as is; I love it with the DT linked. There is something to be said about the fact that the Bogner portion of the DT amp is all analog, tube power amp, with the ability to reconfigure it's analog power amp settings on the fly, as controlled by the HD500(x). 

That being said, to get yourself into stereo, you'd need another DT amp, and the HD500(x) pedalboard. Which is what I ended up doing after a year of using the HD500 with a single DT25. The Blackstar as is, while not being a tube amp, is a stereo amp.

yes i am on the fence.....i sold the pod hd500.....wish line6 did an editor for the dt25..it wouldntr be that hard....i know there is dtedit here from a user but i heard you cannot change the preamps in the dt25 so easily....i find that in the dt25 the gain on the non high gain amps is rather low..even when cranked up to 10....i may have to actually work with it more i guess...i know selling it i will lose my butt

yes i am on the fence.....i sold the pod hd500.....wish line6 did an editor for the dt25..it wouldntr be that hard....i know there is dtedit here from a user but i heard you cannot change the preamps in the dt25 so easily....i find that in the dt25 the gain on the non high gain amps is rather low..even when cranked up to 10....i may have to actually work with it more i guess...i know selling it i will lose my butt

Yeah, that's what I am looking at - you can probably get a replacement HD500 / HD500x for less than $500. Not sure what you will get for the DT25; I am guessing you have at least $1k in it already.

For me, it's all about the tubes! Real power amp tubes, with analog circuitry. I spent enough time mucking around with my HD500 into random solid state amps, that when I upgraded to the DT25 it was the "oh wow" moment, and it's remained that way ever since!

For a relatively minimal investment in the replacement HD500x, your rig is pretty much all there. Stereo is cool, but it's not crucial.

I had to rebuild all my patches to work with the DT25 link - though with the HD500x, they actually have a whole setlist of preconfigured patches using the PRE amp models.

I guess, while I like the ease of amp modeling, I prefer the authentic tube amp tones. Others have gravitated in the complete opposite direction! Depends alot on how you want to use the gear. I like the DI out from the DT amp, it's excellent, and completes the routing. Was doing a fair amount of multitrack recording with my band at rehearsal, getting ready for studio time. I went back and listened to my direct signal, from the DT25 and it rocks. Clean, precise, warm, and perfect sounding. With no bleed from the rest of the band!

I've had my HD500 for about two years and I too have struggled with getting the sound I wanted. Anything stereo (direct into head phones or to computer), all sounded good with very little tweaking, but anything mono was not that pleasing. I am in a Worship band and running direct into the mixer could only be mono. Also, the only time I could tweak patches at stage volume was during our rehearsals which didn't make the Worship Leader very happy. I finally found a solution that "right now" satisfies me (who knows about tomorrow). I also own a M13 which I really like, so I transferred it's effects settings as best I could (because of the interface differences) to the 500 and I now use my 500 for stomp box effects only using the 4CM method to go into my tube amp through an isolation cabinet to PA. I kinda hate that I'm not taking advantage of the amp modeling that I paid for, but I really like the sound of the amp that I am using and it stays at the church so there is no heavy lifting involved. Plus I can use the amp's second channel as a clean boost without using an additional effects block. I now use my M13 for practice at home. Guess it really just depends on what sounds good to you. You don't have to use all of the bells and whistles just because they are there. I'm just glad I didn't give up on the 500.