Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using Boss rc1 with pod go

zen55q

• 2 weeks later...

I use the Boss RC-30 with my Pod go with pretty decent results. They way I have it set up is Pod go FX Send > Boss RC-30 in > Boss RC-30 out > Pod Go FX return. Then I take the FX block and move it to the very end of the signal chain. I suppose you could also do Pod go Main out > RC-1 > Speakers/amp but I like having it in the chain so I can bypass it if I don't feel like using it. Maybe there is a better way but this has worked for me. 

Yeah I'm using mine in the FX loop also.  The only drawbacks are:

1) if one of your patches has the loop on and the pedal is not plugged in, you get no sound, which can be confusing given that the Go crashes the same way

2) there are volume issues.  If the volume is too loud to the looper, causes my 2 looper pedals to clip and it just sounds like lollipop.  So the patches are all configured with relative low volume, which means that it's not very loud through USB for recording.

Having mucked around with the send/return idea, I decided that the easiest solution was to just add my Boss RC10R after the Pod's main outs (I connect it in stereo but mono would be just the same).  It just seemed like such a faff to have to move the loop insert around on every patch and ultimately, I couldn't see any real advantage to making life more complicated.  I considered the cost of powering-up the looper every time but then I also considered the fact that I also want to use the looper without the Pod Go, so the two cancelled each other out.   I added an inline power-switch to the looper (dirt cheap via Amazon or ebay) to make it easy to power everything without crawling around the floor.   I also added a simple 3in>1out switch so the whole lot is left connected to a stereo amp and speakers, the MP2 input of a Blackstar HT amp and a spare output (just in case ;) ).    A Roland ABY pedal means my guitar is connected to either or both of the amp's input and the Pod Go's input (the Blackstar's mp3 input only works if there's something - anything - plugged into the amp's main input - so this is actually a tidy solution) - this lets me have a quick noodle on the amp whilst playing back (not recording) the RC10's loops - no need to power-up the Pod Go and get bogged down with hundreds of presets.   With the Pod's send/return sockets free, I added a bluetooth receiver and set the pod to use the return as "Aux" - so I can easily stream backing tracks from my laptop and play everything through whichever amp I fancy.  I found that the correct output levels for the Pod/RC10 and the stereo amp were too hot for the Blackstar's mp3 input - but I found a simple inline volume control which sorts that problem.   It's mostly about ease - I'm not very mobile and wanted to make switching between everything as easy as possible - this keeps everything permanently connected - no more cable swapping required and no fiddling with patches or duplicating them to make them suit different set-ups.    (If it helps, I found that everything works perfectly with the Pod and RC10's volume knobs all set at 12 o'clock - loops are recorded at played back at the same volume.   If you want the loop playing back a touch quieter just drop that volume a fraction on the looper.)