Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax Standard Questions

purptiger

I have a standard and I connect it with the variax cable to the helix. I can’t use the tuner on the helix since it can’t find the signal. What should I do?

What is the best way to palm mute on the standard to mute unwanted strings? I play slide and this is necessary for my style.

What is the best way to get a Gibson SG. I like the Derek Trucks sound. Thanks!

1 hour ago, purptiger said:

I have a standard and I connect it with the variax cable to the helix. I can’t use the tuner on the helix since it can’t find the signal. What should I do?

Do you get any sound out of it at all? If the tuner isn't recognizing the VDI input, I'm surprised that you can hear anything. Set the input block to Variax or Multi.

What is the best way to palm mute on the standard to mute unwanted strings? I play slide and this is necessary for my style.

Fancy electronics aside, it's still a guitar...the rest of the instrument isn't significantly different than anything else you've ever played... if you can successfully mute strings you don't want to hear on other guitars, then you can do it on this one.

What is the best way to get a Gibson SG. I like the Derek Trucks sound. Thanks!

You can swap bodies and pickups to your heart's content in Workbench and save whatever you come up with to the guitar as a custom model... since there's no SG model in there, you'll have to experiment and see what gets you close.