Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax "VDI Cable"...

• 3 weeks later...

I just checked my Line 6 VDI .... the RJ45 disappears into the housing, but as far as its exposed there is no metal shielding; its plastic only. I didn't take it apart to dig deeper, but I'm guessing its unshielded all the way.

• Like 1

I've built several VDI cables of different lengths for stage (non Workbench) use using plastic, unshielded RJ45s with Neutrik Ethercons. Four lines tied end to end (power, ground; data +, data -), with no shielding. They've always worked OK for me....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2021 at 6:44 PM, soundog said:

I've built several VDI cables of different lengths for stage (non Workbench) use using plastic, unshielded RJ45s with Neutrik Ethercons.

That is what I've done with standard Cat5e and they work fine but I hated the feel of the cable. This time I bought some flex soft shielded cat5e and didn't know if I needed to connect the shield or not. I knew the non shielded ends worked so that's what I put on for now... and it does work great. 

On your Line 6 VDI cable.... do you know if there is continuity between the two Ethercons? (which would suggest they are connected to the shield)

On 2/10/2021 at 1:01 PM, psarkissian said:

If it's not shielded at the connector, then chances are it is tied at the cable to the Canon casing, and that would

set up a chassis ground. That would be a typical AES standard for such a cable.

Since you are the official Variax Doctor with Line 6.... I have to admit I find it a little surprising that you are "speculating" as to how a Line 6 VDI cable is actually constructed.
Spec is spec... but "If" and "Chances are" do not instill confidence :) 

I haven't cut a cable open to do dissections on one. As far as speculations,... we like using and complying with AES and IEEE standards

(both groups of which I am a long time member), since that is commonly used and makes for good compatibility with other audio devices.

There are only so many ways to do a good chassis ground, and I know how they do thinks around here, so it's a good speculation.

But since you bring it up, I'll see what I can find in the specs for the cable. Thanks for bringing that up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, soundog said:

@codamedia -- i just checked my VDI cable; there is no continuity between the connectors. I tested on the bare metal screws that go into the housing on each end.

That sounds like I've built an equivalent then... I don't think I need to worry about it any further :) 

Thanks for checking... I do appreciate it. 

@psarkissian... thanks for the info!