Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Effects Firmware 3.02.0 Available for Downloading 1/14/21

datacommando

Let's also hope we see a bugfix soon for the bank down switch skipping Bank 1! Thought this would have been fixed by now.  Would also be nice to see the firmware/editor update process fixed and perfected once and for all so that quickfixes like this one or a fix for the bank switching issue can be put out swiftly without generating a hailstorm of "is my HX* bricked?" posts.

In the interest of not losing the point of this topic though see datacommando's post above.

1 hour ago, HonestOpinion said:

Let's also hope we see a bugfix soon for the bank down switch skipping Bank 1! Thought this would have been fixed by now.  Would also be nice to see the firmware/editor update process fixed and perfected once and for all so that quickfixes like this one or a fix for the bank switching issue can be put out swiftly without generating a hailstorm of "is my HX* bricked?" posts.

In the interest of not losing the point of this topic though see datacommando's post above.

Hi, HO,

What surprised me, was the fact this is a very low key release of a bug fix that is only for the HXFX. I don’t recall seeing a major outcry about this particular issue, when there certainly appears to be far more things that could do with being addressed pretty swiftly. You have highlighted a couple that seem to raise a bit more of a fuss for HX product users, whereas the HXFX looper freeze could possible have been solved by a hardware reset/restart.

I, too, am also beginning to become weary of the “update bricked my (insert as applicable)”, from people who cannot be bothered to go through all the previous posted replies to look for a solution. Even worse is when you don’t get to find out if the proffered fix worked. We sure enough seem find out when it doesn’t. I’m not looking for thanks, I’d just like to know if things worked out and it got the unit fixed. I think I’m going to stop trying to assist in future. Disillusioned is probably the best term for it.

Sadly, out here at the western end of the spiral arm of this galaxy, we seem to be the last to be made aware of anything that’s happening on planet Helix. Facebook and TGP are the happening places, oh, and Reddit, apparently.

Stay safe from the plague.

On 1/22/2021 at 7:13 PM, datacommando said:

Hi, HO,

What surprised me, was the fact this is a very low key release of a bug fix that is only for the HXFX. I don’t recall seeing a major outcry about this particular issue, when there certainly appears to be far more things that could do with being addressed pretty swiftly. You have highlighted a couple that seem to raise a bit more of a fuss for HX product users, whereas the HXFX looper freeze could possible have been solved by a hardware reset/restart.

I, too, am also beginning to become weary of the “update bricked my (insert as applicable)”, from people who cannot be bothered to go through all the previous posted replies to look for a solution. Even worse is when you don’t get to find out if the proffered fix worked. We sure enough seem find out when it doesn’t. I’m not looking for thanks, I’d just like to know if things worked out and it got the unit fixed. I think I’m going to stop trying to assist in future. Disillusioned is probably the best term for it.

Sadly, out here at the western end of the spiral arm of this galaxy, we seem to be the last to be made aware of anything that’s happening on planet Helix. Facebook and TGP are the happening places, oh, and Reddit, apparently.

Stay safe from the plague.

You have assisted a staggering number of people on this forum though the upgrade process. I don't blame you for being weary of it. Time for Line6 to streamline and improve it. Have the upgrade process update the firmware and editor in one step. Barring that, issue a message and prevent the user from moving on until their editor version matches the firmware.  That would go a long way towards reducing the number of users misunderstanding the upgrade requirements.

Wouldn't hurt to recover the download gracefully and continue the upgrade or in lieu of that issue a helpful message when the problem is a user's poor internet connection is disrupting the download. That message should include the steps for doing a flash/firmware download first and then a local update with the Updater instead of the Editor.

Errors and problems with upgrades have been dragging on for years. I can only imagine that whoever codes the upgrade process is really great at something else :-)  Or perhaps upgrades present some technical challenge that has not been divulged to the user base. This should have been fixed years ago IMHO. There comes a time when it becomes counter-productive to continue to blame upgrade problems on users' failure to follow directions. Regardless of whether part of the problem is user/pilot error, the best way to fix it is to make the process more robust and user friendly.

And yeah, adequate feedback is helpful to everyone and just good manners if someone goes to the trouble to respond to your questions and it resolves your problem. 

Wasn't it grand in the good old days when Line6 actually attended their own forum?  This forum serves an essential function. It is what allows TGP and Facebook to concentrate on issues other than how to get through an update and numerous other sticky, lengthy, time-consuming technical challenges and questions. That helps keep the focus different and often lighter or more entertaining on TGP. Just think of all the discussions TGP did not have to endure on how to get the perfect Andy Summers tone thanks to the folks here:-) That alone should be worth something.

The forum cuts down on the number of support calls and emails to Line6 and likely assists in  more rapid responses from them. Instrumental to their mental health too by cutting down on the sheer amount of repetition that would otherwise be required of them. Yes indeed! I say "Instrumental to their mental health too by cutting down on the sheer amount of repetition that would otherwise be required of them." :-)

Shame that there is almost a total blackout here from Line6 staff. The forum could use a higher level of interaction from them. Phil_m provides some measure of that as a sort of liaison and one of the most talented and experienced local technical whizzes. There are others here too, you know who you are. Additional posts from employees who actually work for Line6 would be most helpful though and get some questions answered in a timely fashion that otherwise just generate a lot of useless churn.

There's a disruption in the force, the balance has been disturbed man. It could be so much groovier in here :-)

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, HonestOpinion said:

Errors and problems with upgrades have been dragging on for years. I can only imagine that whoever codes the upgrade process is really great at something else :-)  Or perhaps upgrades present some technical challenge that has not been divulged to the user base. This should have been fixed years ago IMHO. There comes a time when it becomes counter-productive to continue to blame upgrade problems on users' failure to follow directions. Regardless of whether part of the problem is user/pilot error, the best way to fix it is to make the process more user friendly.

Hey Ho, (grin),

Rearrange the words, head, nail, on, the, hit, the, you, into a well know phrase or saying.

You would have thought that the firmware installation debacle would have been tackled at the first sign of any user problem, way back on the very first firmware release for the Helix. Granted, the last version, where it was supposed to be handled by HX Edit, should have done the job, but it is a thinly veiled attempt to hide the Line 6 Installer from the technically timid end user. The downside is that it is not 100% successful, and when it does go wrong the “merde” hits the air conditioning.

I’m  not even sure that a plea for a better installer routine via “IdeaScale” would achieve success, as it appears to be awash with requests for things far more exotic.

Your observations are very astute, and your input is, as always, much appreciated.

Later (as the young folk say).

• Thanks 2