Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

native and reaper problem

davidw1972

Hi all.  Its my first post and I'm new to recording and could do with some help. this problem is driving me mad.

I've got helix native installed on my pc which has 4gb quad processor and 8gb ram so higher than native recommends. 

As a sound card/interface I've got a pod ux1 and I'm using reaper as my daw.

ux1 is connected to fair quality speakers not monitors.

I also have pod farm free version installed and I can get some great tones with that through my system. The problem comes when I use reaper and open up native.

It works, in that I can record guitar with no latency and monitor as i play but the sound quality of the models is very bad. clean sounds are not great. They're very compressed and anything with overdrive sounds very fizzy. Maybe something is clipping?  I have the input and output meters on native hovering around the -18 db level which is in the green and the input meter on reaper roughly the same.

I don't think it`s the ux1, pc, or speakers because I can make a good sound through pod farm and I get the same bad sound through headphones. so that leaves the settings on reaper or native. Ive spent a few weeks messing with different settings and trying you tube fixes but to be honest i`m out of my depth with reaper.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

many thanks,  dave.

Please describe your context. Are you recording a dry guitar track and then applying the Helix Native plug-in to that? Are you playing using Helix Native with live monitoring? Are you applying Helix Native to a pre-recorded track effected by Pod Farm?

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the reply. I'm really keen to get this working. 

Im not very informed about home recording. I'm recording a dry signal and applying native as a vst and monitoring at the same time. It's easier to play when you can monitor the effected tone. Hope that makes sense.

Using the pod farm mixer i am disabling all effects and amps so the signal going into reaper is dry and i think at the right level. I mean its in the green on the pod farm output mixer and around -18 db.

Make sure you are monitoring using the UX1 outputs (headphones or speakers connected to the UX1). Make sure Reaper is configured to use the UX1 and its ASIO drivers as the audio input and output device. Turn off the software monitoring in Reaper.

After recording your dry track and adding the Helix Native plug-in to the recorded track, what does the input level meter show in Helix Native? Does it match the Pod Farm output meter?

• Thanks 1

On 1/22/2021 at 1:27 PM, davidw1972 said:

...but the sound quality of the models is very bad. clean sounds are not great. They're very compressed and anything with overdrive sounds very fizzy. Maybe something is clipping?

Hi,

A little late here, and I’m not sure if you have read this post, but you may find it explains somethings  that could assist you, as you say that you are new to recording.

What I refer to is the 13th post on the thread by “WarringtonCJ”. 

Hope this helps/makes sense.