Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Cab and FOH setup

Schivosa

I am getting a 2x12 cabinet soon and I want to have 2 paths in my presets.

I want to have one path to the cabinet and another path to the PA, I want to bypass the IR block in the cabinet path so that the IR doesn't override the speakers.

I place noise gate, eq, and overdrive before the amp and all other fx after the IR typically.

Does anyone have presets that they can share that utilizes this kind of setup?

I've attached my preset that I use now that goes to the PA only.

5150_Mesa DV-77.hlx

Sorry, doesn't work that way.

First, you'll need an amplifier for your 212 cab.

Second, unless you're using an attenuator/reactive load with a Line Out back to the Helix, ALL of your effects as well as the Helix amps will be BEFORE the amp and 212 cab.

Third, any way you slice it the 212 will be at the end of your signal chain, as will the FOH speakers. You want the IR for FOH and unless you duplicate the post amp FX on the FOH path, you can't separate out the IR. Your example preset is a "kitchen sink" affair with all blocks in use, and this will require some of those blocks.

The attached mod of your preset will separate the IR into a separate FOH Path.

It can also be modified for use with an ATT/RL configuration.

Schivosa.hlx

I have a EHX 44 Magnum that I use through a friends 4x12 sometimes. I'm going to use that for my 2x12.

How would an attenuator/reactive load allow me to have the FX after the cab and IR? Which one would  you recommend?

In the modified preset, how does it know to send path 2A to the Cab and path 2B to FOH?

The sound changed drastically when the IR is in path 2B, it doesn't sound good.

Thanks for your help!

9 minutes ago, Schivosa said:

How would an attenuator/reactive load allow me to have the FX after the cab and IR? Which one would you recommend?

It wouldn't. I'm multitasking a problem someone else is having with that configuration and confused myself. :-P

10 minutes ago, Schivosa said:

In the modified preset, how does it know to send path 2A to the Cab and path 2B to FOH?

Path 2A gets sent out the 1/4" Out (sorry, I left it set to Multi, you'll need to change that).

Path 2B goes out the XLR out to FOH.

On 1/22/2021 at 10:03 PM, Schivosa said:

I changed it to split crossover, set reverse to On and took the frequency down to 25. That fixed it.

I'm not sure how that is going to get you two great signals.... did you test it on BOTH outputs? With the "split crossover" everything you send to one side will be "missing" from the other side! 

IMO... I wouldn't bother with any splitting, panning, etc... etc... then trying to remember where Left/Right is intended to go....

I would simply put a SEND block directly before the IR block and send it to the Magnum/Cab. The IR then continues to the Main Outs. Even though you won't have volume control (to the cabinet) from the Helix, the Magnum 44 provides that already. Just set the send for the optimal output to the Magnum. 

As for the POST effects... I fully agree with @rd2rk.... those need to be before your cab so you don't have to duplicate anything. 

This is an often over looked position but "in between amp and cab" is the most accurate position to simulate the effects loop of a traditional amp :)