Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Advice Sought: Dt25 Or Full-range Monitors In Home Studio

HansOlthof

HI all,

I've been happily using my HD500 into a Scarlett and then to a set of Mackie MR8s.

One of my monitors packed it in (power supply) with the prospect of repair being unlikely (the importer here in Australia is starting to say the they cannot source a replacement). I'm likely to be left with one functioning monitor (and it's only 4 years old too!).

What do you all think about either replacing the mackies with another full-range monitor pair (probably krk VXT8 or VXt4+subwoofer) or getting a DT25 and more modest monitors (e.g VXT4s) for playback?

I only use this in a home-studio enviornment, mostly at moderate volumes (e.g 70-80db @ 1 meter from monitors) for practice/hacking around.

Would a DT25 be too loud?

regards,

Hans

For a home studio environment I would stick with the monitors.  The DT 25 would certainly give you some amazing control capability and added tonal options but for what you are doing it may be overkill unless you plan on playing out and would need it onstage.

Here are some advantages/disadvantages to each:

DT25

+ Is a tube guitar amplifier with great sound for electrics

+ Could be used for gigs

- If you are using it at low volume there's not much advantage over a FRFR monitor

- Even on clean settings, acoustic guitars don't sound as good as a FRFR monitor (they sound too "electric-y")

Monitors

+ More flexible; can be used for recording/mixing/general listening tasks

+ If using two, it can be fun to play through stereo patches

- Not practical for gigs or for very loud practice

• Upvote 2

From a small studio type setup I think you will be much happier using powered monitors in the studio, and using the DT25/50 live on stage as your stage monitor. 

Not that big studios dont mic up amps/cabs, but most of us dont have "big" studios and just use a spare bedroom in out home. If you are like this (I am and most are) then

the above is your ticket... But, if you are planning to use studio monitors for the HD500/Pro, then you also need a reason for these monitors ( other than just for a guitar preamp).

Why? Because for one thing the good sounding ones usually are not cheap. And the word "studio" usually involves an audio interface, which ties in nicely

with a pair of quality "neutral sounding" studio monitors. And the audio interface will tie in nicely with your host (Cubase, Sonar,DP8 etc etc) software

for recording all those wonderful sounds your HD is known for. And even if you decide to get the DT25/50, once you start to record you will "still" need

a good pair of studio monitors along with the other at some point. I have a DT25 AND DT50 sitting on top of two Marshall 1960a thousand dollar cabs, and I

still use my Mackie HR824's in the studio for practice and recording. My 2 cents... And BTW, altho the Mackies can not approach the loudness of a cranked DT-50/cab, they

however can get loud as hell in a small room/studio setting, so don't worry about that too much if your a basic one man studio kinda guy like most of us are....

Hope this helps....  :D

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Thanks for the very helpful responses!

I'll stick with the monitors then.

Any thoughts on going for a larger pair (e.g. a pair of 8") or a smaller (e.g.5") with a sub-woofer.

My thinking is that since these are supposed to model large cabinets, the sub would give a better modelling? I've also read that if a sub and the room are not well set up you could finish up with a worse outcome.

hans

• Upvote 1

This is just my experience I ordered the Dream rig system.  And I was disappointed with the DT25.  I have had tube amps in the Past,  But never one with a digital preamp with a tube power section.  I didn't care for it at all and on top of it I wanted a dream rig system not just limited set up.  ( acoustics sounded terrible) which I kinda expected just not as bad as it was.  I also didn't like having to make up different patches for the DT25 and separate ones for direct recording.  I think the l2m or l2t is the way to go.  But each to their own.  oh and I returned the DT25 but kept the rest..

My mackies I believe are 8", and running with a small powered mackie sub. If you go with a sub, do NOT go passive. All that I have heard sound like doodoo compared to a powered sub.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been playing acoustic for a while and I'm planning on getting a strat and an HD500.  I play guitar as a hobby...I won't be gigging and I don't really plan on recording.  The thought of having a tube amp (DT25) to pair with the HD500 sounds great, but I live in a small town and I doubt there is anyone close that could service it.  If I'm planning on using the HD500 to mess around/practice at home, should I just get some monitors as well?

I play guitar as a hobby...I won't be gigging and I don't really plan on recording.

You won't begin to use the potential of a DT amp if you are not gigging, and to be honest for many people even if you are gigging.

I would go with monitors of some sort - if you were considering a DT you are in the monetary ball-park of the L2m which can connect digitally with the HD500 jut like the DT amps.  This is a stage monitor not studio monitor so if you do change your mind and want to perform in a larger space you are all set.

That said, if you are not recording either then do you really need either?  You can use the HD very effectively with headphones or plug it into any stereo that accepts external inputs (use a 1/4 to phone cable).

You might consider a JTV-69 rather than a Strat - it looks a bit like a Strat, can do all the Strat sounds..  err and Tele, the Gibsons, Semis, acoustics, resonators, banjo, sitar that you can change the tuning on at the press of a button on the HD.  Combine JTV, HD and L2m and you have the alternative Dream Rig which works better if you want to use the acoustic sounds.

To give you an idea of what you could do, my band is just learning June by Spocks Beard and I get the main guitar part (acoustic) which I work out to be based on Drop Db (all strings down 1 semitone except bottom E which is down 3) - this is a present alternate tuning on a JTV which makes it easy to play along to the record while learning without retuning the guitar. Get to the rehearsal last night and the three guys doing the vocals have decided that they can't quite get the higher notes, so can we drop it down 3 semitones please?.  It takes 30 seconds to do a virtual capo and retune to all strings down 4 semitones and bottom E down 6, and then I can play the song in the exact fingering that I have learnt.  For next week this will be a preset on the HD500 so the tuning change will be a button press.

• Upvote 2

• 8 months later...

It sort of depends on what the scenario of your home is - We just moved into our first home, have been doing apartment living for the last five years, and just recently (January this year) bought a DT25.

It's loud, like, really loud. You can play it in low volume mode. You can also just plug the 1/4" from the HD500 out to the back of the DT25, into the FX return. That will allow you to use the HD500 in studio/direct mode. In terms of recording, if you have a computer, you have all that you need. Plug the current headphones or speakers into the audio out of the POD, connect the USB cable to your computer, and load some recording software. It's not like you need to go spend $700 on Pro Tools 11; there are free audio recording programs. The POD is the soundcard, and does a fine job with the ASIO drivers.

I actually just bought some L2t's, which should arrive today or early next week, so I am pysched to jam in the (finished, carpeted) basement at the new home. It's pretty hard to properly use a 25watt Bogner/Line6 tube amp when you live upstairs, and have downstairs neighbors!

In terms of home monitors, there are a plethora of options; I was very recently comparing prices and brands - KRK, M-Audio, JBL, there are several 'budget friendly' options, in the $300 to $700 / pair price point. Those type of 5" and 8" woofer, powered two way monitors are usually priced 'each', so for example the KRK Rokit 8" G3 is $250/each, the KRK 6" G3 Rokit is $150/ea.

JBL LSR308 (8") is $250/ea, supposed to be pretty nice.  LSR306 is the 6" version, $150/ea

M-Audio has two way and a three way models, different look in the three ways, both sets in 6" and 8".

The two ways, (Carbon) BX8, BX6- are the $150 / $250 price point, the three ways are M3-6 and M3-8, which go for $250 and $350/ea, respectively.

For the most part, any of these kind of powered, semi full range, mostly flat response speakers will perform well with the HD500.

If you can crank up the volume at home though, and your budget can withstand the G.A.S., definitely take a closer look at the 1x10" L2m/t and/or the DT25. They are two very different approaches to interfacing with the HD500.

The L2/L3 are true full range / flat response. The DT amps are really a Bogner tube amp with the Line6 modelling interface. The manner in which the HD500 "talks" to the DT25 is really quite amazing, and you need to be able to play at more substantial volumes to really appreciate what it can do. The HD modelling on it's own is great, but it does come to life in a unique way with the DT gear.

You might consider a JTV-69....It takes 30 seconds to do a virtual capo

Not to hijack the thread, but could you briefly explain how to do that?

I know there is something to do with pressing and holding the 'guitar model selector' down until the LED's blink.

As I understand it, you assign the virtual capo to one of the alternate tuning selector positions. As the JTV guitar understands it, the 12th fret is considered "0", so if you want to, for example, drop the tuning down one octave, you would strum the notes in the open position one at a time.

Then to write it to that alternate tuning choice, you repeat the press and hold for 3 seconds.

Anything I missed? I was wondering about that feature, and since I am still quite new to the JTV world, had not yet attempted to use that feature!