Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp XL - how many of you were waiting for this?

datacommando

HX Stomp XL FAQ

So it’s just… HX Stomp, but with more touch footswitches and all the jacks on the back? For $150 more?
Yes.

…Why?
Because customers asked for more switches. Or kept finding clever—but way less elegant or integrated—ways to add more switches. And it was relatively easy. We’re not going to pretend it’s the most innovative product we’ve ever designed but for some customers, it’s the goldilocks form factor.

Thanks, but my personal needs require a Variax input, twice the DSP, and six switches, not eight. Why didn’t you give me exactly what I want?
<exasperated sigh>

So it’s like the size of two HX Stomps?
If you omit the space required for jacks on the side (even pancake jacks), more like 1-2/3 Stomps. It’s 12.5” wide (vs. HX Stomp’s 7” width). Depth and height are virtually identical.

Does it add anything else?
Hands-free Pedal Edit mode (tweak presets with your feet), 128 presets vs.126, four snapshots per preset vs. three, and you can access the 6 Switch Looper without needing a MIDI controller. Other than that, it is HX Stomp with 5 extra switches.

Does it have the Command Center?
Absolutely. In fact, a big reason HX Stomp got the Command Center in 3.0 is because we had already done the work for HX Stomp XL.

Wait, what happened to the Volume knob?
We moved it to the back panel to save room. It’s spring loaded so you can recess it into the chassis to keep your cables from accidentally turning it.

Can I use third-party power supplies?
Yes. Any power supply that works with HX Stomp should work fine with HX Stomp XL.

Can it load HX Stomp presets?
Yep, just drag ‘em in via HX Edit. It can also load Helix, Helix Rack+Control, Helix LT, Helix Native, and HX Effects presets, as long as they contain 8 or fewer blocks on a single DSP path.

10 minutes ago, Kevin-M said:

I’m still wondering if this is an actual forthcoming product, or not.

Oh, a HX Stomp XT sceptic?

Check this thread about the “leak” on the website from a US retailer. It also mentions the POD Go Wireless.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/hx-stomp-xl.2221270/

Good job it’s January and not April.

I am eagerly awaiting this.  After the non-NAMM live stream and nothing was announced I was going to go ahead and get the Stomp and an MC-6.  Had them in their respective carts and then saw Tone Junkie's video and decided I could wait a couple more months :)

5 hours ago, datacommando said:

I believe that I saw the end of February cited at some point on a TGP thread. Maybe wrong, could be speculation.

It was based on the original leak.  zZounds.com had the Stomp XL listed and had an availability date of mid February, but in my experience with them and AMS they often put random dates in when they don't know when an item will be back in stock.  

32 minutes ago, ajb1965 said:

but in my experience with them and AMS they often put random dates in when they don't know when an item will be back in stock.  

Lol...I love it when retailers do that. The truly funny part is that people take it as gospel. Nevermind the fact that half the time they can't tell you if 'Item X' is already in the building or not, nevermind when something might theoretically show up weeks or months down the road..."It'll be here a week from next Tuesday" is just designed to get you off the phone and/or out of their inbox...

On 1/26/2021 at 5:35 PM, ajb1965 said:

It was based on the original leak.

Yeah, that’s correct and in a recent video (below) featuring a discussion with Digital Igloo, Ben Adrian, Andy Paredes and Paul Hindmarsh, Paul asked Eric if he could give any secrets away regarding the release date of the 2 new “secret” products and very nearly did, until Andy said, rather cautiously, that it would be the first half of the year, but I guess now they are no longer secret - they will be announced when they are in stores ready to buy.

DI also said the stuff that is due to be included in firmware v3.2 is even bigger than v.3.0

Could be some time coming though, so don’t hold your breath!

Oops! Nearly forgot to add vid link:

• 2 weeks later...

In my opinion, if someone plans to use the XL as an all-in-one multi-effects in order to do everything, then it makes more sense to get it instead of an HX Stomp + a MIDI controller. The XL wouldn’t require any MIDI programming, MIDI cables and any dedicated power source. Also, it’s footswitches are touch sensitive and color coded, which really helps with the HX interface and looks really nice.

A MIDI Controller + HX Stomp combo CAN be much more powerfull than the XL, even if it's used as an all-in-one solution, but it would be much bigger and much more expensive, so it's really hard to advocate in favor of it. 

But I disagree when people see the XL as a good adition to an existing MIDI capable pedalboard: as soon as you start to increase the number of pedals, or the complexity of them, the XL will inevitably fall short because the Command Center on the Helix is fairly limited. So, depending on the pedalboard, a combo consisting of a good MIDI controller and a regular HX Stomp would be vastly superior.

So, at the end of the day, I think the XL will appeal only for those planning to use it as an all-in-one soluttion (with somewhat limited DSP) or for small MIDI capable pedalboards.

My particular wish is that Line 6 make something like an HX Stomp XL, but with the DSP capabilities of a full Helix, so it would be even smaller than an LT and you wouldn't be stuck with an expression pedal if you don't use it frequently, but you could still make use of the poly effects or double amps chains in a reasonable manner.

I think the XL is a great idea and if I didn't already have an HX Stomp, I would probably get one. HX Stomp, Pod Go and now HX Stomp XL have a fair amount of overlap and might start fragmenting Line6's own market. But given the Helix software architecture, and their ability to design and implement hardware devices, perhaps this is an easy way to broaden market appeal. Its often a delicate balance.

For me, HX Stomp + MeloAudio MIDI Commander + optional HX Effects provide a more flexible solution. I can for example use the MeloAudio MIDI Commander for other purposes, including with Helix,  in the studio, or with computer based amp modelers such as S-Gear. 

Anyway, its great to have options. I'm really glad I have an HX Stomp. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2021 at 7:39 PM, ajb1965 said:

I am eagerly awaiting this.  After the non-NAMM live stream and nothing was announced I was going to go ahead and get the Stomp and an MC-6.  Had them in their respective carts and then saw Tone Junkie's video and decided I could wait a couple more months :)

I got tired of waiting.  I have a brand new LT that just arrived and is getting the 3.01 update :P

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/27/2021 at 12:13 AM, datacommando said:

DI also said the stuff that is due to be included in firmware v3.2 is even bigger than v.3.0

Could be some time coming though, so don’t hold your breath!

Sh*t, I had been hype-clean for a couple months... 

• Haha 1