Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New firmware, when ?

ceedjay

Hi,

Helix-for-the-rich products have had a big firmware update with 3.0. I understand that Pod Go won't get this kind of improvements but, anyway, when are we getting a new firmware ?

Waiting for ability to shut CABS on/off globally, and possibly only on the amp out as a whole, not just tapping it before/after the cab sim. I have to double every single preset, one with cab on, one without cab on. That's annoying.

Cheers.

Jay

Line 6 has confirmed that a firmware update for Pod Go is on the way, but we don't know timescales.  Line 6 has said that this time around we won't be getting snapshot/multi-assignment naming, but it is high up on their agenda so maybe next time. I have 2 external momentary switches (F7/F8) that currently don't appear in the LCD display - it would be be useful if these could be seen. But I suspect this won't be added this time around but might be addressed if/when snap/multi-assignment naming is added. 

Line 6 intimated, albeit somewhat cryptically, that the update 'will be no surprise to anyone'.  My guess therefore is that Pod Go will be getting some 'lower DSP' hungry upgrades based on the latest Helix/Helix stomp upgrades that will include at least some of the new amps/fx models but obviously not the DSP heavy stuff like the poly synth. 

Interestingly, in Helix Stomp, Line 6 expanded the number of user slots from 6 to 8. This is not an upgrade in DSP power (that's a physical chip limitation thing) but it gives scope to add extra effect blocks if DSP allowance permits.  I'm therefore really hoping that Line 6 will similarly increase Pod Go's user blocks from 4 to 6.  For me, this would be a much more useful and more important upgrade than adding a couple of extra amp & effect models - it would let users have the option, with some prudent amp/fx selections, of greater flexibility eg a reverb, delay, modulation, distortion, compressor and eg a second modulation or distortion (ability to add a second amp/cab model is highly unlikely because of DSP/architecture limitations).  

1 hour ago, voxman55 said:

Line 6 has confirmed that a firmware update for Pod Go is on the way, but we don't know timescales. 

If memory serves me well Digital Igloo confirmed on TGP that the update is coming "this winter".

Hi,

So, no flexibility improvements then. Most users don't care about more effects and amps, they want more functionalities.

Again, one example is the possibility to turn cabs on/off globally and to be able to choose if we turn it on/off on the main output and/or on the amp out. The way we can tap the amp out signal before or after the cab is unusable when gigging. You send the main outputs to FOH with cab on and stereo effects, and if you want to send the amp out to an amp on stage for monitoring you can't turn off cab, you can only tap the signal before the cab.........it means no effects in your monitoring.

Cheers.

Jay

26 minutes ago, ceedjay said:

...... Most users don't care about more effects and amps, they want more functionalities.....

Not sure how you’re arriving at the claim about ‘most users’ rather than simply yourself,  but the official way to bring your suggestions to the attention of Line 6 developers is to use Ideascale. Search the existing suggestions and vote them up or enter a new suggestion.

9 hours ago, sebabetto said:

besides the improvements in flexibility and functionality... i hope they do a serious debugging of the next firmware... i read a lot of complains about bugs, errors, freezes, etc..

Largely fixed in last updates. I'm sure some remaining bug fixes will be included in the next update. 

10 hours ago, silverhead said:

Not sure how you’re arriving at the claim about ‘most users’ rather than simply yourself,  but the official way to bring your suggestions to the attention of Line 6 developers is to use Ideascale. Search the existing suggestions and vote them up or enter a new suggestion.

Actually, I think @ceedjay comment is probably not unreasonable although I think a mixture is likely. Broadly, and this is a wide generalisation only, I'd anticipate that most home players would probably like to have more models to play around with, but for those looking to gig Pod Go I suspect most would prefer improved functionality. 

Hopefully, there will be something for everyone in the forthcoming update. Certainly, there will be some new amp and/ or fx models. But, if the enhancements to HX Stomp are an indicator, then we might also see 1 or 2 more user blocks added. And whilst we know snapshot and multi assignment naming won't be included this time, there may still be a few tweaks to make Pod Go a bit more flexible.

If you want to suggest new improvements or vote for them then do so on http://line6.ideascale.com/ this is where Line 6 take the suggestions from. Have to admit I've not noticed on there a request for global CAB/IR disable which seems to have become more prominent in recent weeks on a few sites. 

Naming of "multiples" and snapshots will almost certainly make the cut as suggested BUT probably not in next release.

Have to admit since initial firmware update not had any freezes, crashes etc.

The Best thing line6 can do is release updates periodically. I know pod go is a new product, but the updates and improvements keeps the potential client interested, the helix for example, is a an old unit, but the people keeps buying it... The product is awesome, and the client knows that the product is not abandonded by the company. Sorry ifmy english its not perfect ...

4 hours ago, Rossco02 said:

If you want to suggest new improvements or vote for them then do so on http://line6.ideascale.com/ this is where Line 6 take the suggestions from. Have to admit I've not noticed on there a request for global CAB/IR disable which seems to have become more prominent in recent weeks on a few sites. 

Naming of "multiples" and snapshots will almost certainly make the cut as suggested BUT probably not in next release.

Have to admit since initial firmware update not had any freezes, crashes etc.

I have done so, already, but, god, what is this antediluvian interface they have at ideascale ?

A simple features request page would be so much better.

We cannot do a lot except waiting, anyway.

Cheers

Jay

I'd LOVE to see a firmware update to include:

1) Naming snapshots instead of just numbers or letters. 

2) The ability to add an additional impulse response block.

This would allow me to switch between cabs or even use an acoustic impulse response in conjunction with an amp/cab of choice. Or even an electric IR like making a Les Paul sound like a Tele or making an acoustic sound like a banjo etc. This would open up A LOT of possibilities and functionality imho.

On 01/02/2021 at 3:51 PM, cruisinon2 said:

It's nice to see that the "Where's my free $hit?!" threads are a cross-platform phenomenon...;)

Hi,

I beg your pardon ? Sorry, I didn't understand the meaning of your comment, can you elaborate, please ?

Jay