Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

128 IRs

Shivabhairava

Nowhere do I find complaints about this annoying restriction. Is 128 pieces enough for everyone? For example, I have already rewritten them about 20 times a year ... this is very little and very inconvenient. Fractal Audio offers 2000 loaded and good IRs and memory for 1000 of its own.
The tuner still works very badly, despite the constant firmware updates.
Also, why doesn't Line 6, unlike the same Fractal Audio, give ANY usable IR for free?
Why don't amps sound good without cabinet pulses and long, complex chains?
At a device price of 1000 euros and more, all this should be corrected, but Lina 6 only sit and smoke ...

• Downvote 1

I suspect most Helix users (like me) have it plugged in a computer when they are not going live and just have their library of presets and IRs backuped there, and probably tons of IRs on the computer that they only move in the Helix for their tons.

(actually since a few months I stopped using IRs to focus on the models provided by default, as in my case it's far enough and I'm learning a lot about sound engineering)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shivabhairava said:

Nowhere do I find complaints about this annoying restriction. Is 128 pieces enough for everyone? For example, I have already rewritten them about 20 times a year ... this is very little and very inconvenient. Fractal Audio offers 2000 loaded and good IRs and memory for 1000 of its own.
Also, why doesn't Line 6, unlike the same Fractal Audio, give ANY usable IR for free?
At a device price of 1000 euros and more, all this should be corrected, but Lina 6 only sit and smoke ...

I suspect you don't find complaints because the vast majority of us here are technically competent at using a modeler efficiently and effectively, so we don't experience such aggravations.  That's what allows us to spend our time actually playing our guitars and creating music rather than whining like a 3 year old.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

I dont think this is memory room you could change software side, so it is what it is. :)

Said that, 128 it's even to much, as the more Irs you have onboard, the more you waste precious time fiddling around with impulses and then feeling like you're lost in the middle of nowhere.

You should find your IRs in studio/home, and then load only those you need to perform. I seriously doubt you'd ever need 128 irs in a row, not even in a single gig, but in an entire life. :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Shivabhairava said:

28 minutes ago, gk001 said:

Line 6 do give you some free IRs

you can get the Allure pack here

https://uk.line6.com/allure/

Define usable...  ;)

(just kidding, but I didn't like those mid scooped IRs at all)

Is 128 pieces enough for everyone?

I can speak about myself: 10 IRs slots are enough imho to play live, to get more consistent tones (when just 1 or 2 IRs are the typical situation).

Maybe in a recording studio you may need (many) more, but in that case you can manage them by a PC or directly in your daw.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

They actually do offer some free IR's. See here. It's only about 3-4 IR's

https://line6.com/allure/

Whoops someone beat me to it. I'll leave it here anyway.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shivabhairava said:

Very badly is too much. I agree that it's far from perfect (specially because after many updates it still doesn't detect the note when it is between two semitones, I mean when you're out of tune a lot), but I can use it and don't need anything else.

ANY usable IR for free

Imho the best free IRs still available in the web are these:

https://valhallir.at/shop/v2-teaserpack/

but you'll need anyway low and high cuts (very narrow limits if you use them live or in a loud band context; imho for example 100Hz / 4.5kHz aren't extreme in that context)

The Helix stock cabs and mics are anyway usable too.

If you don't play metal, my favorite "general" Helix sim is: 2x12 Match G25 with Shure SM7 mic (short distance about 2", and the same hi/lo cuts mentioned above).

Or you can try the typical speakers and mics you are used to.

And I don't agree about complex chains being necessary, even if like anything, if you want to fine-tune your tone, you may appreciate the possibilities that Helix can offer.

My (rock music) complex chains generally have:

- noise gate on in the input block (very low threshold, between 74-80 dB, it depends on my different guitars)

- low/high cut block (some 120-160 Hz, only low cut)

- a compressor (if any), with mix at 60-70%

- one or two OD blocks (mainly Teemah, Dhyana, Minotaur, KWB)

- modulation fx blocks (if any, mainly: Harmonic Tremolo, Ubiquitous Vibe, Deluxe Phaser)

- the amp block (my favorite: Litigator, German Mahadeva, Archetype Clean, but I try also others sometimes just to change a little my tone)

- the IR block (mostly just one far field IR, not available any longer in the web) or the stock Helix cab/mic mentioned earlier

- delay (mainly Transistor Tape or Ducked Delay)

- reverb (mostly legacy Plate or Glitz, very light mix about 15-20%)

- Tile reverb: I turn it on only when I use headphones, because it helps to simulate a nice ambiance

and with the above stuff, I get the best tones I have ever had in my last 30 years, and I enjoy a lot my beloved Helix!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Shivabhairava said:

Waa, waa... FRACTAL!... blah blah sucks... FRACTAL!... sounds $hitty... FRACTAL!

I think you've already decided what's gonna make you happy... so spare yourself the ulcer (and the rest of us the whining) and go shopping. But just for my own morbid curiosity, what the f*%$ is a "cabinet pulse"? On second thought never mind...I don't care.

Bon voyáge!

p.s....FRACTAL!!!

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, cruisinon2 said:

Waa, waa... FRACTAL!... blah blah sucks... FRACTAL!... sounds $hitty... FRACTAL!

I think you've already decided what's gonna make you happy... so spare yourself the ulcer (and the rest of us the whining) and go shopping. But just for my own morbid curiosity, what the f*%$ is a "cabinet pulse"? On second thought never mind...I don't care.

Bon voyáge!

p.s....FRACTAL!!!

Yeah I dont get the long complex chains thing.  I've had a great time literally throwing an Amp + Cab block in a preset.  A wah pedal, OD pedals in front, maybe a reverb/delay after...and bam there's a tone.  Just like I would have bought at a music store for more than what I paid for Helix.  Now if I wanna trim the tone a bit with a fine toothed comb, then sure I'll add a Pre EQ and maybe a parametric after the cab.....but its not needed.  if you wanna be an old school Guitar > TS808 > Amp (Non MV) > Cab > FOH then be it...its there, just need some knowledge (AKA EDUCATION) and your on your way.  

This is a great LIVE rig as well as a great STUDIO Rig.  There are different tools in the 'box' to help you do both.  I wouldnt ever expect to use the toothpick in a swiss army knife for sewing.  Sure it could be done, but there are better methods.

• Like 1

cruisinon2. Do not be rude, especially to strangers. Are you really cool when you bravely insult someone over the internet? This is how people with a very low level of development behave. I do not know English well, so I can easily make mistakes in the expression of thoughts. But I doubt that you will be able to better express your thoughts in my native language.

To all the others who answered - many thanks for the advice and comments.

• Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, Shivabhairava said:

cruisinon2. Do not be rude, especially to strangers. Are you really cool when you bravely insult someone over the internet? This is how people with a very low level of development behave. I do not know English well, so I can easily make mistakes in the expression of thoughts. But I doubt that you will be able to better express your thoughts in my native language.

To all the others who answered - many thanks for the advice and comments.

I get your concerns, but some of them to me seem more overblown issues than they need to be.  I should clarify that, its not meant as insulting...what works for one doesnt always work for another....what I mean is Its super easy to get a tone that is useable...if you really want to dial in something specific and be super technical, then yes you can get elaborate with it.  I've got some pretty creative presets as well.  Some more for functional live use (the way my brain works while trying to play and front my band) and some just because of routing options/limitations or dsp limitations.  To each their own for sure on that stuff.  A lot of the issues you share, to me.... are ones that get overblown by people that dont like the Helix or spend time getting to know what it does or more importantly what it doesnt do.   

I'm always willing to share my experience and thoughts constructively as I've been using modelers in all different formats for 20ish years.  Direct, as FX only, 4 cable method, mixed with real amp and pedals....Wet/Dry/Wet rigs....been there done that all.  

• Like 1

I bought Helix a year ago. During this time, I conducted many experiments. I know for sure that if you just take an amplifier and add a cabinet, then there is still something good for the pure sound, but for metal, none of the amplifiers sound good without clever chains. The manufacturer has not been able to improve the sound and make the configuration easier with firmware updates.
I suffered for a long time with the built-in tuner and then bought a shopping TC Electronic , Helix for several years could not make a normal tuner.
Fractal Audio allows you to take any amplifier, add a cabinet from the included 2000+ and get excellent sound both on clean and on overdrive. This device sounds good "out of the box" and allows you to get good sound quickly and easily without long settings.
I feel sorry for the money spent on Helix, because for a long time they have not done anything for me to improve the unfinished "out of the box" device.

I just want to take a ready-made amp and cabinet, add delay and reverb and play, not wrestle with how to make it sound normal. Unfortunately Helix with all the updates does not provide such an opportunity.

• Downvote 1

Language differences aside - so what?

You prefer other products, why post here?

What answer do you want?

None of us are Line 6 staff - we use the Helix.

I'm sorry you're sad you spent money on a product you don't like, but we can't change that, or make it a product you will like.

Forgive the idiom, but 'cut your losses' buy the product you want be done with it. No one here can change the choices you've made or 'fix' the product you purchased.

23 minutes ago, Shivabhairava said:

I bought Helix a year ago. During this time, I conducted many experiments. I know for sure that if you just take an amplifier and add a cabinet, then there is still something good for the pure sound, but for metal, none of the amplifiers sound good without clever chains. The manufacturer has not been able to improve the sound and make the configuration easier with firmware updates.
I suffered for a long time with the built-in tuner and then bought a shopping TC Electronic , Helix for several years could not make a normal tuner.
Fractal Audio allows you to take any amplifier, add a cabinet from the included 2000+ and get excellent sound both on clean and on overdrive. This device sounds good "out of the box" and allows you to get good sound quickly and easily without long settings.
I feel sorry for the money spent on Helix, because for a long time they have not done anything for me to improve the unfinished "out of the box" device.

I just want to take a ready-made amp and cabinet, add delay and reverb and play, not wrestle with how to make it sound normal. Unfortunately Helix with all the updates does not provide such an opportunity.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Shivabhairava said:

Sell the Helix and save for a device that works for you. Done. :)

(not being sarcastic or snarky, this is the only proactive move you can do to solve your problems)

• Like 1

Waymda.When I was just going to buy on the forum, I did not find stories about what a headache it really is. I want to warn those who have not bought yet and will go to see user reviews. I gave my money to the company Lina 6 and used their device for a year. I have the right to warn beginners and advise what they need. I would be grateful if a year ago someone told me this so as not to waste money

• Downvote 1

21 minutes ago, Shivabhairava said:

Waymda.When I was just going to buy on the forum, I did not find stories about what a headache it really is. I want to warn those who have not bought yet and will go to see user reviews. I gave my money to the company Lina 6 and used their device for a year. I have the right to warn beginners and advise what they need. I would be grateful if a year ago someone told me this so as not to waste money

Have you ever edited or created a tone preset in a Fractal unit? Have you ever used their editor? Ever dived into their deep granularity available, for every single aspect of each block? If you think helix is too complex, Fractal might be way too much for you. ;)

• Like 1

PierM. In the case of Fractal Audio, there is absolutely no need to tune the amplifiers, because they already sound good, there is no need to look for good IRs, because they are already in the device in the amount of 2000! On Helix, if I need a good sound of an overloaded amplifier channel, I either need to tune for a very long time, or PAY ALREADY for the device PAYING FOR well-sounding presets and IRs.

What can you say about the fact that for many years Helix programmers have not been able to properly program the tuner? Many people complained about this, but they did not help them, but on the contrary, they threatened to be banned because people were telling the truth. Any inexpensive clothespin tuner works better and more accurately, but they don't want to hear it, fix it, preferring to delete objectionable reviews or threaten, perhaps as a joke, or perhaps not as a joke!

• Downvote 1

13 hours ago, Shivabhairava said:

cruisinon2. Do not be rude, especially to strangers. Are you really cool when you bravely insult someone over the internet? This is how people with a very low level of development behave.

And what about you? I could easily say the exact same thing about your behavior, so don't try and rewrite history by pretending that you were trying to "help beginners". Read your own original post. You showed up to complain about a device that you don't like, offering absolutely nothing constructive... just a list of grievances and pointless comparisons to something else which you've decided is superior... just as countless others have before you. What does this accomplish? It's a rant motivated by buyer's remorse, not a tutorial or even an honest review, and the only person you've helped is yourself...to vent frustration. So if that's your definition of how someone of "high development" behaves, then enjoy your ivory tower. I'll gladly stay down here on the wrong side of the moat with the rest of the filthy rabble.

We've all purchased gear that we ended up disliking for one reason or another, but not once has it ever occurred to me to show up on a forum to $hit all over a product that plenty of others are perfectly happy with and use successfully. Why would I do that? Because I didn't like it, or it didn't suit my needs as I thought it would... who cares? How would that serve the "greater good"? Never mind... rhetorical questions, all. I neither need nor want answers. I'd sell it and move on with life, because that's what "highly developed" adults do.

Best of luck in the Fractalverse!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

cruisinon2. I did not offend or insult anyone. You allowed yourself a dismissive tone and insults to me. From this, anyone can conclude that your development is low. Well-mannered and polite people don't do that.

You turned everything around the way you like it. Is there a forum where you can only praise Helix?

I said thank you to everyone and ended the conversation, but you still got in after it ended to prick me again. What for ? This is what "trolls" do ...
I expressed my opinion that this is an unjustifiably expensive and low-quality product, I am a user who paid my earned money for it and I HAVE THE RIGHT to express my opinion. Why are you CONSTANTLY interfering and trying to MAKE or OFFLINE me?

Yes, I am very upset that I paid so much money for a bad machine. You turn everything to your advantage. I expressed my opinion on examples, for example, that the tuner has not worked for many years, the factory models of amplifiers sound bad and there are no normal IRs in the device's memory.

Let's end this. Don't act like a "troll", don't try to prick me again.

• Downvote 1

42 minutes ago, Shivabhairava said:

Is there a forum where you can only praise Helix?

Yes. The facebook Original and Official Group. Tuff threads are removed, users not sharing appeciation are blocked sometimes.

Sure Fractal DSP power is 4 times as big as Helix, IRs can be 4 times longer and you can have 20 times more, but AxeFxIII costs 4 times as much. Considering some of Hx DSP blocks are as good as Fractal ones, it it still a bargain.

• Like 1

I want to warn those who have not bought yet and will go to see user reviews.

...I have the right to warn beginners and advise what they need.

You are entitled to your opinion.... but if you are going to scream from a mountain top how crappy the Helix is, you might want to back it up with some credibility! 

I did not find stories about what a headache it really is.

You can't be serious! On any forum system you do not have to look far to find complaints. If you didn't find them, you didn't look beyond the first post on the first page - LOL! 

What can you say about the fact that for many years Helix programmers have not been able to properly program the tuner? Many people complained about this, but they did not help them, but on the contrary, they threatened to be banned because people were telling the truth.

Line 6 doesn't ban people because they complain about the tuner.... they ban people for bad behavior! 

On 1/25/2021 at 6:22 AM, Shivabhairava said:

Nowhere do I find complaints about this annoying restriction. Is 128 pieces enough for everyone?

In regards to IR slots...I'm not against having more slots available for those that want it but 128 is enough for me. I use about 10 on any given night, and I keep another 50 or 60 loaded and ready. I'm still only at 50% capacity, give or take a little. 

I should note that I don't "trial and error" 1000's of IR's from a package. I know the configurations I like in the real world and I zero in on about 20 (per package) to run through quickly in order to find the one's I'll use. I never have to extend beyond those to find what I am looking for.... because I know what I am looking for.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shivabhairava said:

Thank you all for your communication, advice and comments. I made the final conclusion - in order to get good sound from Helix, you need to sell it :) ... and buy a good processor :)

Two goodbye posts....And you are still here...:)

• Haha 2

So what you're really saying is that you're a novice user of modellers (at least), and that you thought a highly complex and flexible piece of audio equipment should sound how YOU want it to out of the box? This probably explains why your due dilligence before purchasing didn't discover the horiffic limitation you've found of 128 IR slots in the product documentation. Rather, you sought to find this in a user forum where the users don't seem to have this requirement.

Pleasingly you've found the Fractal, which appears to suit your needs.

If your posts stop newbies whinging here because they don't purchase the product, I'm all for it. Line 6 should sign you up as an ambassedor for all novices. So long as those who buy a Fractal on your advice and find it doesn't have their sound have a forum just to flame you, seeings you have it sussed.

8 hours ago, Shivabhairava said: