Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

G10s or G30

bcfink12

This is the deal. I am in the market for a wireless instrument rig. Right now, the G30, and the G10s are the same price. 

I don't care about the range. I am not gigging, this is just for home, and rehearsal/jamming. I am plugging into a Helix floorboard.

Is either one more stable connecting, or for some other reason, better than the other? Or should I be avoiding Line6 wireless, because of the new updates,

and charging, not sure how that effects the G30, if it does? Any help or recommendations you can offer, will be appreciated.

• 2 months later...
On 4/8/2021 at 6:00 PM, SmiffyG said:

The G30 is a great little unit for home use. Avoid the G10, it was never great and is absolute garbage now!

It's a shame as the G10 was great and previously served me well. The poor battery cover design in the G30 puts me off it. You really shouldn't have to fix it with elastic bands when it breaks. I've just had a second replacement from Line 6 which I'm told has been tested and lasting over 6 hours. I'll test it this weekend. 

23 hours ago, voxman55 said:

It's a shame as the G10 was great and previously served me well. The poor battery cover design in the G30 puts me off it. You really shouldn't have to fix it with elastic bands when it breaks. I've just had a second replacement from Line 6 which I'm told has been tested and lasting over 6 hours. I'll test it this weekend. 

Unless it's a TII version, no way a G10T with latest firmware will last 6 hours. Old or new, it's all clamped to ~2.5hrs.

2 hours ago, PierM said:

Unless it's a TII version, no way a G10T with latest firmware will last 6 hours. Old or new, it's all clamped to ~2.5hrs.

E&M Electronics, the UK distributor, were tasked by Line 6 to test it before delivery, E&M has confirmed in writing that they charged it and tested it twice and that it gave just over 6 hrs use between charges on both occasions. Line 6 confirmed in writing that a Mk1 in proper working order should deliver 5.5-6hrs.

At the moment the jury is out and I will keep you posted. A couple of reasons why I'm sceptical though:

1. Although the box had clearly been opened, the polythene sealed packet with seal appeared to be unopened - but it's possible E&M were authorised to reseal this. 

2. On 8/4/21 (Thursday) E&M said the G10T should be with them (from Germany) 'at some point next week'. On 12/4/21 (Monday) they said in an e-mail 09:19, they were sending it to me 'that day'.  Now, if they didn't have it on the Thursday, where did they find time to do 12 hrs testing time on top of charging time? Hmm

3. The charging period seemed to be similar to the 1st replacement. 

Watch this space!

4 hours ago, voxman55 said:

E&M Electronics, the UK distributor, were tasked by Line 6 to test it before delivery, E&M has confirmed in writing that they charged it and tested it twice and that it gave just over 6 hrs use between charges on both occasions. Line 6 confirmed in writing that a Mk1 in proper working order should deliver 5.5-6hrs.

At the moment the jury is out and I will keep you posted. A couple of reasons why I'm sceptical though:

1. Although the box had clearly been opened, the polythene sealed packet with seal appeared to be unopened - but it's possible E&M were authorised to reseal this. 

2. On 8/4/21 (Thursday) E&M said the G10T should be with them (from Germany) 'at some point next week'. On 12/4/21 (Monday) they said in an e-mail 09:19, they said they were sending it to me 'that day'.  Now, if they didn't have it on the Thursday, where did they find time to do 12 hrs testing time on top of charging time

3. The charging period seemed to be similar to the 1st replacement 

Watch this space!

Well, if happen your will last 7 hrs, I'll eat my hat. :)

1 hour ago, PierM said:

This is just my two cents, and perhaps I'm a bit cynical...but I don't care what they told him, or if they provided a written attestation, complete with the official wax seal of the High Exalted Mystic Cyclops of Wireless Repair...No business on earth is gonna pay somebody to sit in a chair and noodle for 12 hours to see how long it takes a battery to die. Say that out loud and try not to laugh, lol... I'm having trouble typing through the tears...obviously there's no way to confirm or deny it, but if there were I'd be comfortable betting every cent I have that it did not happen, lol.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, cruisinon2 said:

This is just my two cents, and perhaps I'm a bit cynical...but I don't care what they told him, or if they provided a written attestation, complete with the official wax seal of the High Exalted Mystic Cyclops of Wireless Repair...No business on earth is gonna pay somebody to sit in a chair and noodle for 12 hours to see how long it takes a battery to die. Say that out loud and try not to laugh, lol... I'm having trouble typing through the tears...obviously there's no way to confirm or deny it, but if there were I'd be comfortable betting every cent I have that it did not happen, lol.

I'm inclined to agree, especially within the timescales shown previously and the sealed G10T - and because I'm sceptical I took a couple of pics of the 2nd replacement, still in its sealed bag, next to the 1st replacement. If it doesn't perform as promised I'll then insist on a G10T MkII or a full refund from Line 6.  But let's not jump the gun - so far the new unit has been used for just under 2 hrs, so we'll see.  

2nd G10T replacement 2.jpg

2nd G10T replacement.jpg

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, voxman55 said:

But let's not jump the gun - so far the new unit has been used for just under 2 hrs, so we'll see.  

No guns. But we've been there already, and done that. ;)

On 4/16/2021 at 8:22 PM, PierM said:

No guns. But we've been there already, and done that. ;)

As I suspected,  and as you rightly said all along @PierM it's bunkum. It lasted 3 hrs, the same as the initial replacement.  I've written to Line 6 Support and requested a full refund of the original price I paid in 2018. Although I've been told that G10T mk2's are not available in Europe currently, I've lost all confidence in the product and now don't even want one of these now. I'll buy something else possibly the Boss unit.   

Edited by voxman55
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, voxman55 said:

As I suspected,  and as you rightly said all along @PierM it's bunkum. It lasted 3 hrs, the same as the initial replacement.  I've written to Line 6 Support and requested a full refund of the original price I paid in 2018. Although I've been told that G10T mk2's are not available in Europe currently, I've lost all confidence in the product and now don't even want one of these now. I'll buy something else possibly the Boss unit.   

Relay G10II is arriving to Thomann in 1/2 weeks, so you can hold on that for couple of weeks more. If even the TII is lasting 3 hours (man, that would be silly), then you can throw it back and move on.

I tried the boss, it does last waaaaay more than G10, but sounds crap (digital aliasing is there)..

• Downvote 1

33 minutes ago, PierM said:

Relay G10II is arriving to Thomann in 1/2 weeks, so you can hold on that for couple of weeks more. If even the TII is lasting 3 hours (man, that would be silly), then you can throw it back and move on.

I tried the boss, it does last waaaaay more than G10, but sounds crap (digital aliasing is there)..

Disappointing re the Boss as reports have been good.  I did see one video on Youtube compare G10 with WL20/WL50 and reportedly the sound was slightly darker but this is the first I've heard re aliasing so thanks for the heads up. 

30 minutes ago, voxman55 said:

Disappointing re the Boss as reports have been good.  I did see one video on Youtube compare G10 with WL20/WL50 and reportedly the sound was slightly darker but this is the first I've heard re aliasing so thanks for the heads up. 

Maybe it's just me. Give it a try and see. :)

• Downvote 1

Ok, latest intelligence suggests the Mk2 should be available in UK in next week or two and that these last 7 hrs. So I've told Line 6 Support if they can organise a mk2 replacement, I'm willing to try it before insisting on a refund. But no more faffing about with the Mk1s. Can't say fairer than that can I.

On 4/16/2021 at 5:41 PM, PierM said:

7hrs is for the MkII - Line 6 quoted 6 hrs for the Mk1.

I'll always report fairly & honestly what I find - and this is very VERY strange.  The UK distributors had said they tested the 2nd G10T Mk1 they sent me & it lasted just over 6 hours on two tests. As posted earlier, the first two times I charged it, the unit only lasted 3hrs.  However the third time I charged it - it actually lasted a full 6 hours!  I'm completely bewildered as to this 100% difference.  Needless to say the unit was left to recharge fully on each occasion until the green led stopped flashing & stayed on all the time. I'm recharging it again now to see if this 6 hours repeats, and I'll need to retest this a few times to see if this repeats reliably.