Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Aux In for ipod playback?

spangberg

Is there a way to have the AUX IN simply be used to plug in a playback unit so I can play on top of pre-recorded music (using headphones)?  I don't want my ipod that's plugged into the AUX IN to be colored by my guitar preset tones.  Do I have to go out and buy a 2-channel mixer for this or can the Helix do it on its own?

With Helix Floor there's no direct way to simply and globally connect an iPod. You either connect via a pair of S/R and place the Loops at the end of the signal chain (in each preset), or use a separate Path with the S/R as Input (in each preset), or you take the Input over USB from a computer, or you use an iPhone Camera kit from the iPod into the Helix USB, if an iPod can utilize the camera kit. Ask Apple.

Yes, everybody hates that there's no AUX IN.

No need for a mixer. Just get the camera kit and connect it’s USB end to your Helix and play your backing tracks or whatever audio you want to route directly to your Helix connected speaker system. You can trim the USB volume in globals. The iPad/iPhone volume controls do not control USB output.

6 minutes ago, MartinDorr said:

No need for a mixer. Just get the camera kit and connect it’s USB end to your Helix and play your backing tracks or whatever audio you want to route directly to your Helix connected speaker system. You can trim the USB volume in globals. The iPad/iPhone volume controls do not control USB output.

Did you notice that he's using an iPOD, not an iPAD?

The Camera kit works (I think) because the iPAD and iPHONE are full on computers, and act as USB Hosts to the Helix/HXS.

Are you saying that you KNOW that the iPOD will work the same way?

Not wanting to argue, I don't KNOW, and I WANT to KNOW!..... :-)

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, rd2rk said:

Did you notice that he's using an iPOD, not an iPAD?

The Camera kit works (I think) because the iPAD and iPHONE are full on computers, and act as USB Hosts to the Helix/HXS.

Are you saying that you KNOW that the iPOD will work the same way?

Not wanting to argue, I don't KNOW, and I WANT to KNOW!..... :-)

Depends on the iPod.

The iPod touch are indeed HOSTs, running iOS, and they can use a Camera Kit. They are like iPhones without Phone...:)

If it's an old iPod classic, then no.

Inkedscreencapture-apple-shop-product-MD

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm using a really old ipod touch.  Haven't connected it to the internet in years.  Just use it for mp3s.  But good news, I found that if I use a simple preset that only runs on Path A and leaves Path B free, then I just designate Path B as AUX IN for my iPod Touch playback and Path A as just my live Guitar and I'm good.  Thanks for your insights!