Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp with Audio Interface causing feedback

eboulin

Hey guys, 

I hope someone out there can help me with this. 

When I I send my HX stomp signal directly to my studio monitors or my headphones I have very little feedback, there is a small amount but I can handle it. Just a little white noise. Maybe thats to be expected?

But when I send my HX stomp signal into my Focusrite Scarlet 212 then into my headphones or studio monitors I have major feedback, enough that I can't play my guitar on low volume with a clean setting. Its that bad. 

Does anyone know what could be causing this problem?

Thank you!

Elliot

Are you connecting using 1/4" or XLR?

Are those Outputs set (Global Settings>Ins/Outs) to Inst or Line?

Is the level switch on the 2i2 set to match the Global Setting?

Is the Direct Monitoring Switch on the 2i2 set to ON?

I don't have a 2i2, I have the 18i20, and have no such problems.

1 - me typing too fast :-)

2 - good

3 - see attached screenshot

4 - good

Gain should probably be at 0, as that is usually Unity (signal in=signal out). Turn that up as necessary if the signal is too weak.

Anything else happening that was not previously mentioned? Otherwise, unless you've got the Volume Knob on the 2i2 maxed and it's actually feeding back in the usual way, I can't think of what could cause it.

1574511379_2i2LevelSwitch.thumb.png.c356538ac2aabf43b783b73268971630.png

Another thought - USB ground issues can sound a bit like feedback, a high pitched whine.

If there's any kind of ground loop, PC/HXS/2i2 plugged into different wall sockets, not using a proper EMI/RFI filtered surge strip, these might cause it.

Using a passive USB hub, or a powered hub with a noisy power supply. Try moving the USB connections to the computer around.

Just spit-balling at this point......

@rd2rk you got it! 

I thought the gain knobs were the volume knobs so I always had those at around 12 o'clock.

I turned them down to 0, raised the volume on the hx stomp and raise the monitor volume knob on the scarlet and nows its much better. Thank you!

1 hour ago, eboulin said:

what is the purpose of the gain knob if I’m going to keep it at 0? When would you increase the gain?

If the signal in your DAW is way low, gain knob will boost it.

Typical DAW Input signal should be around -18db to allow headroom for transients and post processing.

On 1/30/2021 at 9:34 PM, eboulin said:

@rd2rk

what is the purpose of the gain knob if I’m going to keep it at 0? When would you increase the gain?

I have a Scarlet interface as well. The gain knobs have little circles around it that light up as you send a signal to it. They light green when detecting a signal and red when clipping. The way I set my levels is start at zero and play while slowly raising the gain slowly, when you see the lights go red, back it off until it doesn't.  Depending on different factors, they may be best if set at zero and clip if raised at all.  I only set to Inst if I'm plugging my guitar/bass directly into the interface.