Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Amplifi TT - Tell Me I'm Not A Fool... Please...

GutchGtr

Greetings campers...  Long time Helix lover/user here.  Have been looking for a compact desktop alternative to the Helix for casual practice and writing.  Have Helix Native for recording, but don't want to go through the hassle of firing up Studio One and setting up a track to use it.  Looked longingly at HX Stomp, but didn't want to lay out the cash...  Well, the gods smiled down upon me at work last week and dropped a good-sized Amazon gift card in my lap.  So, this weekend I went shopping for a desktop effects unit, and ended up pulling the trigger on the Amplifi TT.  It should be arriving Wednesday.

Now, I've read all the threads about intermittent BT connection and hassle with the app.  I've also watched the YouTubes and saw some cool features and pretty good tone.  My expectations have been appropriately tempered.  However, I am still pretty stoked about being able to sit down, plug the G10 into the guitar (Have had it for a couple years for use w/Helix- works great and never leaves my desk), and start playing! 

I guess I'm looking for a little commiseration with like minded folk who bought into the Amplifi TT system and are happy they did so.  Anybody out there?  Any secret tips or Easter Eggs to be aware of?   Don't make me regret the decision before it even arrives!!!

• Like 1

I’m not an Amplifi owner. I hope you’ll get many responses to affirm your purchase decision! However, be aware that this is a user support forum. People generally come here to report problems. Don’t be discouraged if you get negative responses. The vast majority of happy and satisfied Amplifi TT owners aren’t here!

• Like 1

The Amplfi series was a nice idea -- cool features, pretty good sounding, etc. But there have been a lot of complaints about bluetooth connectivity, and with the amplifier versions, an firmware update process that infuriates users be failing, turning them into monolithic doorstops. 

If you happen to have good luck with those two issues you'll eventually learn that this is a 'mature' product line. Like your grandfather, who's at death's door. Line 6 has effectively abandoned these, leaving them with unfixed problems, few, if any,  updates for several years, and a very good likelihood that the latest version(s) of the app required to use it will not run on your phone or tablet, especially if you use an Apple device. And don't count on Line6 to bring the app up to conform to the latest iOS specs. Ain't gonna happen.

I wish you luck -- maybe it will meet your needs and expectations. That's a big maybe...

• 6 months later...

I agree with “cbrillow”. I’ve had an AMPLIFI TT for a number of years. I’ve gone through the app updates as well as the “Flash” updates for the hardware itself. All seemed to go well only to have the same problem with Bluetooth connectivity. I use an iPad Mini 2 mostly but I have Bluetooth issues of it dropping the connection right in the middle of a song. Very frustrating, and it would seem Line 6 has abandoned these products. Not a good situation. I was promised good things before my purchase of the TT, now I rarely use it. My wife got me a FBV footboard for my birthday a few years ago and it pretty much sits in its box. I will NEVER purchase another Line 6 product. Enough said.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/1/2021 at 6:17 PM, silverhead said:

I’m not an Amplifi owner. I hope you’ll get many responses to affirm your purchase decision! However, be aware that this is a user support forum. People generally come here to report problems. Don’t be discouraged if you get negative responses. The vast majority of happy and satisfied Amplifi TT owners aren’t here!

I find it a bit disconcerting that a “Line 6” rep would make such a statement. Like I stated in my previous post, the AMPLIFI TT is a disaster. I just tried using it again today, 9/10/21. It’s the SOS. Drops Bluetooth connection ALL THE TIME!! I have the latest FLASH and App. I’ve tried to understand why this is happening. It will connect right away however as soon as I start playing a song to jam with it almost immediately loses Bluetooth connection. If I stop the song and wait it will eventually reconnect via Bluetooth but then when I go to start the song again the same thing happens. Sometimes after about 3 tries it will connect and stay connected through that song, but then if I switch songs it’s does the same thing. Very frustrating and now with Line 6 stating they will no longer support it,it’s basically a doorstop!! I would advise anyone not to EVER purchase a Line 6 product!!!

On 9/10/2021 at 7:59 PM, silverhead said:

I’m not a Line 6 rep. 

I'm guessing that he drew that conclusion from the title: Line 6 Expert

Most of us realize that this is an honorary designation that reference your contributions to the forum, but usnavychiefret probably didn't...

• 3 months later...
On 9/10/2021 at 7:59 PM, silverhead said:

I’m not a Line 6 rep. My Firehawk FX device has never had Bluetooth connection issues, but my use of it is admittedly simple.

I don't have either an Amplifi or FireHawk product ... So is the Firehawk the "successor" (that works) to the Amplifi?!? all the same features like the tone match and BT speaker but consistently works?

I do have the Helix floor and love it but I like the "idea" of the Amplifi and it possibly being a good replacement/upgrade to my Fender G-DEC plus a loud BT speaker (amplifi 150)

Firehawk FX is not a successor to Amplifi. It is a floor model rather than an amp model but the underlying technology is very similar if not identical. Specifically, I'm not aware that there any differences re: Bluetooth implementation. There is no speaker included with the Firehawk FX. There is a Firehawk amp product but I have no experience with that. At its best, this technology is not really in the same league - tonewise - as your Helix.

As I said, I have not had any serious issues with Firehawk FX. That's certainly not to say that others will have no issues. But bear in mind that this forum is a  support forum. It's not surprising that most people who visit here are having issues. What this forum does not reflect is the number of users who are perfectly satisfied with their Amplifi/Firehawk products. There's really no way to even estimate or compare that number.

Having said that, it does seem - based purely on the number of problems reported - that the Amplifi/Firehawk product series has been more problematic than most Line 6 products. I won't try to steer you one way or the other in your considerations. You may love the Firehawk or you may hate it.

OK, so I am going to buy a used Amplifi TT for 100 bucks, even after reading this thread on constant bluetooth connection issues.  I really like the idea of what this unit does - built in consumer level outputs to connect to home stereo or powered speakers, remote control app for ipad, tone matching presets for songs you are trying to play, FX, cab sim, audio interface, etc.  I have nothing right now except guitar and tube amp and for 100 bucks this gets me a lot to play and learn with and will take a chance on having issues with it.  Even if the bluetooth does not work, still interested in all the rest of the features it has.  Will report back after I have used it a while.