Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Edit 3.01

Digital_Igloo

Already did it :)  But, you can't mention a firmware update and NOT expect this question:  When are you dropping 3.10 and any teasers on what goodies might be in said update?  Asking for a (very excited) friend...

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Digital_Igloo said:

HX Edit 3.01 is now available. Sure, it fixes some bugs, but it will also drastically improve the firmware update process when we drop 3.10. So do it. DO IT NOW.

https://line6.com/software/

Nice work, Eric, but what far too many people are actually asking in here is - “When will HX Edit work with the new Macs and Big Sur?”

Surely you can give an update of the current status of that situation for these folks.

TIA.

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, miguelassaf said:

Almost 4 months is a long time to release a working version for a core OS in the marketplace (Big SUR). This is not acceptable for a company that has such a good quality product.

Big Sur is a pretty significant update, and was pretty quick behind Catalina

17 hours ago, kduck said:

Already did it :)  But, you can't mention a firmware update and NOT expect this question:  When are you dropping 3.10 and any teasers on what goodies might be in said update?  Asking for a (very excited) friend...

And after years on end of steadfastly refusing to announce release dates ahead of time, you can't possibly be surprised when you don't get an answer. A hint or two about what's in it? Perhaps, but as for when you'll get it... you might as well be asking for the results from his last prostate exam.

1 hour ago, miguelassaf said:

Almost 4 months is a long time to release a working version for a core OS in the marketplace (Big SUR). This is not acceptable for a company that has such a good quality product.

And if they release it too soon and it bricks your Helix, how would you feel about that?  What is it exactly that the current version is not doing for you and what makes you think 3.10 will?

I'm guessing that the "radically improved process" is that it forces you to update HX Edit to the version matching the firmware.  That would save a lot of frustration for people -- and I'm sure reduce the number of support inquiries around the "I updated my firmware but I don't see any changes (in HX Edit)". 

If I'm right then the urgency of this update implies that 3.10 has new models or other changes that will be reflected in the future HX Edit.

24 minutes ago, hideout said:

And if they release it too soon and it bricks your Helix, how would you feel about that?  What is it exactly that the current version is not doing for you and what makes you think 3.10 will?

The issue he’s referring to is not that 3.1 is essential because of features like new models or whatever, but that Big Sur compat (and maybe M1) is a huge deal for some.  For me, it’s merely an annoying nuisance that Line6 is the only thing keeping my from upgrading my OS, but for those who really need to be on Big Sur (got a new Mac in the last four months, need to be on it for work, ...) this is a potential show stopper.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, rwandering said:

I'm guessing that the "radically improved process" is that it forces you to update HX Edit to the version matching the firmware

This is what it says on the download page.

For example, the update process now forces you to update HX Edit before your Helix/HX hardware. (Imagine that.) 

As for your comment: 

If I'm right then the urgency of this update implies that 3.10 has new models or other changes that will be reflected in the future HX Edit.”

I’m really not sure how you arrived at that conclusion?

This update is to solve the problems that people were having by not having corresponding firmware and HX Edit on the same revision numbers, and ensure it doesn’t happen next time. How that implies new models is beyond my limited psychic powers.

Hope this helps/makes sense

1 hour ago, datacommando said:

If I'm right then the urgency of this update implies that 3.10 has new models or other changes that will be reflected in the future HX Edit.”

I’m really not sure how you arrived at that conclusion?

My first inference turned out to be correct.  But if I'd looked at the notes, I wouldn't have had to guess. My bad.

I stand by the second claim as being an implication (and not due to my limited psychic powers). 

If the 3.10 Helix Firmware makes no changes that a user would expect to be reflected in HX Edit, then there would be no urgency to update HX Edit to 3.01 before the 3.10 firmware is released.

It would still be desirable for Line6 to get people to update to 3.01, but it wouldn't be urgent.

Now, the urgency in the original post may be misstated, but I think the implication is there.

And a question for the Helix historians that I don't know the answer to: does a jump to a .X version number ever come without a new model?   

Lol... Some folks think that the dudes at CERN are gonna create a black hole that swallows the earth... but I'll bet money that one of these oh so fruitful discussions will do it first. Keep stretching the limits of conjecture, wild guessing, and wishful thinking to this extent, and that'll rip the fabric of space-time before the guys with the lab coats...;)

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, rwandering said:

If the 3.10 Helix Firmware makes no changes that a user would expect to be reflected in HX Edit, then there would be no urgency to update HX Edit to 3.01 before the 3.10 firmware is released.

No but if they can get everyone using it now then there won't be the same carry on next time a new firmware is released.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, loonsailor said:

The issue he’s referring to is not that 3.1 is essential because of features like new models or whatever, but that Big Sur compat (and maybe M1) is a huge deal for some.  For me, it’s merely an annoying nuisance that Line6 is the only thing keeping my from upgrading my OS, but for those who really need to be on Big Sur (got a new Mac in the last four months, need to be on it for work, ...) this is a potential show stopper.

Not having HX Edit be compatible with Big Sur does not render the Helix unusable, however.  It's a minor annoyance indeed not to be able to use the editor but you can still do your editing on the Helix itself.  Hardly what I would call a show stopper.

2 hours ago, hideout said:

Not having HX Edit be compatible with Big Sur does not render the Helix unusable, however.  It's a minor annoyance indeed not to be able to use the editor but you can still do your editing on the Helix itself.  Hardly what I would call a show stopper.

Agreed.  For me, the show stopper is not HX Edit.  I can live without that for a while.  it's Helix Native.  A bunch of mixes that I'm working on won't work without it.  So, I wait.  As I said, others might not be able to wait.

5 hours ago, hideout said:

So i buy a new computer and need to install an older version of the OS in order to instal HX Edit or Native? Competitors like Fractal and Kemper have the software working with Big Sur. When Line6 decided to go for the VST plugin business it needed to prioritize keeping current with tech and compatible otherwise new customers will be frustrated by the lack of agility. So yes it is an important factor.

4 hours ago, rwandering said:

I stand by the second claim as being an implication (and not due to my limited psychic powers). 

What I actually said was it was “beyond my limited psychic powers”. I was intrigued as to how you would know that the update to HX Edit  “implies that 3.10 has new models”.

As for “urgency”, it no secret that over on TGP,  Frank posted for people to help out on the beta testing for 3.1, Thursday, last week.

Have you noticed how the regular contributors to these pages have been absent for the last few weeks? Those same people were also recruited as beta testers for v3.0. It’s due soon, that’s all we know.

The only thing confirmed to be included is the fix for the “Vermin” distortion model, and some work on the main “engine” that didn’t make it into version 3.0. Anything else, is as usual, pure speculation.

Hope this helps/makes sense

Competitors like Fractal and Kemper have the software working with Big Sur.

I have said this many, many times - it is not only Line 6 with these issues getting thing to work with the new Apple OS.

Only yesterday, I noted that Native Instruments stated, they are unlikely to have their products working with the new OS for a very long time. In fact they don’t even give an estimate.

5 hours ago, datacommando said:

What I actually said was it was “beyond my limited psychic powers”. I was intrigued as to how you would know that the update to HX Edit  “implies that 3.10 has new models”.

And I didn't think you were.  My reflective use of "psychic powers" echoed yours, as a prelude to my explanation.  I certainly did not mean to offend.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PierM said:

As far as I know, yes. 3.1 will introduce new stuff. As happens with every bumped firmware version... :)

That's for sure.

Have we ever got a 0.1 update without any new stuff? Nope.

I bought my Helix Floor back in March 2020 with firmware 2.72, and every firmware I updated since delivered plenty of new goodies.

I love the Helix platform.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, rwandering said:

I certainly did not mean to offend.

No offence taken. The written word can easily be misinterpreted in these forums, especially since the emojis have been removed.

I read somewhere that Digital Igloo has said that 3.1 isn’t as big as version 3.0 was, so the beta process may be quite quick. Last time they asked for extra beta testers the new firmware dropped a couple of weeks later. Also, rumour has it that 3.2 may b bigger than 3.0. (See Video in this thread) 

Stick with it.

2 hours ago, the_bees_knees22 said:

You can still type them! lol
:D
:)
-_____-
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
O_o
X_X

Ahh, yeah - old school, but what about all these modern youngsters?
They don't speak ASCII - it's all changed now, iPhone this, that, and the other.
Have you ever tried explain cassette tape recording to a millennial?
Possibly when telephones had wires, or even fax machines, that's really good fun.

:o

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, datacommando said:

I have said this many, many times - it is not only Line 6 with these issues getting thing to work with the new Apple OS.

Only yesterday, I noted that Native Instruments stated, they are unlikely to have their products working with the new OS for a very long time. In fact they don’t even give an estimate.

All NI is compatible now: https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/360013515618

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, miguelassaf said:

Oops! Must have been reading the Silicon and Rosetta page, but the situation remains if you check the other manufacturers.

https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/360014683497-Apple-Silicon-Compatibility-News?_ga=2.178561764.1320131842.1612439634-1551232512.1612286669

1 hour ago, datacommando said:

Oops! Must have been reading the Silicon and Rosetta page, but the situation remains if you check the other manufacturers.

https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/360014683497-Apple-Silicon-Compatibility-News?_ga=2.178561764.1320131842.1612439634-1551232512.1612286669

This links also shows compatibility for Guitar Rig 6. Amplitube: compatible. Kemper and Fractal are compatible. Boss GT-1000 is compatible. This is not acceptable for a high end product.

This links also shows compatibility for Guitar Rig 6. Amplitube: compatible. Kemper and Fractal are compatible. Boss GT-1000 is compatible. This is not acceptable for a high end product.

This like “Groundhog Day”.

O.K. I will say this one more time. This forum is for people who use Line 6 products to help one another, peer to peer, with general problems. I have stated many, many times that Line 6 staff do not monitor these forums and if you need to get an answer to “when can I expect compatibility with the new generation of Apple products”, this is not the place.

In various posts throughout this forum I have given suggestions as to how best get your issue noticed. I have even, pointedly asked the question of DI, at the very top of this page.

This Big Sur issue is not something that directly affects me. I have been a Mac user right back to the early Mac Plus, but when it comes to serious audio applications, I have been burned before when an Apple OS change screwed everything for months. This taught me to never update until it’s safe to do so, and at the moment if I could no longer use my soft synth and plugin collection I would be dead in the water, and that’s somewhere I would not want to be.

I am truly sorry that I cannot help you any further - this is not my problem, you must do what you think is best, or complain to people who may be able to change things, but they aren’t in here.

Good luck.

EDIT: Additional info from the Facebook group and the comment from Digital Igloo (Eric Klein)

5EFEDD92-A5FD-4F44-A28C-4E5F4B969077.png

Edited by datacommando
Added info

13 hours ago, miguelassaf said:

I couldn't agree more.  Apple should be doing a better job with their integration testing of 3rd party compatible software BEFORE releasing their OS for general distribution.  Maybe someday they'll grow up and learn to play well with others....

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, DunedinDragon said:

I couldn't agree more.  Apple should be doing a better job with their integration testing of 3rd party compatible software BEFORE releasing their OS for general distribution.  Maybe someday they'll grow up and learn to play well with others....

If only! That day will only come when people start refusing to pay $1100 for a phone or similarly ridiculous amounts for an iPad or Mac that is obsoleted by the next version released <~ a year later with marginal improvements.  What a racket!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, HonestOpinion said:

If only! That day will only come when people start refusing to pay $1100 for a phone or similarly ridiculous amounts for an iPad or Mac that is obsoleted by the next version released <~ a year later with marginal improvements.  What a racket!

I'd like to think so... but it won't happen. Gullibility, "keeping up with the Jones' ", and the FOMO mentality have made planned obsolescence the most successful marketing strategy of all time. We're all in... from "built to last" to "built to $hit the bed right on schedule" in two generations. Sad.

• Haha 1