Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix into amp question

boynigel

So the Pod Go has a dedicated Guitar amp out that automatically disables all speaker cab modeling when you connect to this output. 

it appears Helix doesn’t have this, correct me if I’m wrong. Does that mean with Helix I’d have to create duplicate patches and then disable speaker modeling in each one (for when I want to go into my amp’s fx loop Return) or is there a quicker, easier way?

Depends where you have the cab in the signal chain. If it's at the end, just pull it down to create a second Path, pull down the newly created Mixer Block so that you've got two Output Bocks, then set the one with the cab to XLR and other one to 1/4". This method works best if you do quick changes between Presets or send to FOH while monitoring through your amp on stage..

You can also set a FS or a Snapshot to Bypass the cab.

Another option is to build your patches with a send before the cab that allows 100% of signal to the cab and the send. Standardise which send you'll use knowing that you can always take a tap before the cab for every patch with no changes by plugging into the send.

Thats a close approximation to what the Pod Go does.

rd2rk's approach provides greater flexibility to add additional processing to the amp send independent to the not-amp send to tune either appropriately(eg EQ, gain, compression).

either of the above would work.  Just remember to set the output of the 1/4" to instrument instead of line in the global settings if you are going into the front of the amp.... don't think it would matter if you are going into the effects return of the amp, but the front of the amp will need the "lower" instrument feed.

I have the helix lt running through a DT25 using the l6 link (which is the digital out on the helix). For context, I use clean to crunch to some od but no metal stuff.  I went to a jam the other night and had to lug the amp (I know it's not that heavy, but I'm old and fat:)) upstairs to his jam room.  He had some amps, but they didn't have an effects return.  To keep from having to take the DT25 next time, I thought I would set up some patches where I could go straight into the front of an amp.

The first thing I did was to get a good clean sound just plugging the guitar straight into the DT25 and using the B setting on the amp.  Then I changed the global 1/4" setting on the helix to instrument and plugged it into the DT25.  I copied one of my presets that uses a pre amp to a new preset and turned the preamp and the speaker on the helix off.  Played some and all the other effects on the preset sounded good.  Then I turned on the preamp block... .and that sounded good.... then for the heck of it, I turned on the cab block (1X15 ampeg) and that sounded even better (at least to me)... So I played around with preamps and full amps and speakers and such and the main thing I found out was that I just needed to make sure the 1/4" was on instrument and the preamps took over drive better that the full amps.

Sorry for the long read, I just thought it was interesting.  I thought I would have to come up with a bunch of different presets for plugging straight into an amp, but it turns out I can use what I have.