Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Workbench / Workbench HD / Monkey don't see new JTV-69 Variax, through Variax USB interface

I'm trying to connect my new JTV-69 variax and while the computer sees the Variax USB adapter, and the USB adapter indicates (via the two green lights) that it sees the Variax, the computer doesn't see the Variax. I've tried multiple computers and versions of the software. As far as the computer is concerned, there's no Variax there.

Up front:

1. I am using the small black Variax USB adapter and included VDI cable
  2. The battery is fully charged (though by the end of troubleshooting it only had 3 dots)
  3. I have a TRS cable plugged in
  4. I have the volume turned up
  5. The lights are on on the Variax
  6. I have two lights on the Variax USB adapter
  7. I have tried both the included VDI cable and 2 separate Cat5/Cat6 cables
  8. I have checked with Line6 Monkey on a separate computer using all of the combinations of troubleshooting
  9. I have checked with the OLD Workbench on a separate computer
  10. I have repeatedly connected / restarted / removed battery; replaced battery
  11. I have wiggled and jiggled and swabbed and double-checked all the connectors. Everything is in-place. 

The Variax doesn't show up, not even in Monkey. I'm really not looking forward to returning this guitar, but the inability to use it with Workbench is a deal-breaker. 

So when you say you've tried multiple computers, do you mean none of them see it? Or do you mean all of them see it but the main one you are using? And are all of the computers Windows 10? If they are, it is my understanding that the old Workbench will not work with Windows 10.

2 hours ago, brue58ski said:

So when you say you've tried multiple computers, do you mean none of them see it? Or do you mean all of them see it but the main one you are using? And are all of the computers Windows 10? If they are, it is my understanding that the old Workbench will not work with Windows 10.

If any of the computers could see the variax, would I be saying that I had a problem?

Of the two computers: one Mac running Catalina and one PC running Windows 10, neither could see it. Line 6 monkey 1.77 on win10 couldn’t see it, and nor could Workbench HD on either computer. Old Workbench can be made to run on windows 10, but it can’t see the variax either. Both computers see the USB adapter, and on Windows 10, Monkey can interrogate the adapter’s firmware, but does not list the connected variax in its devices or firmware. There’s no “gotcha” here; the variax just doesn’t show up.

the only possible variable, and perhaps the only question is: does the guitar hide itself is the battery isn’t at 4 out of 4 ?

the only possible variable, and perhaps the only question is: does the guitar hide itself is the battery isn’t at 4 out of 4 ?

The answer to that is evidently "no." Even with 4 bars of battery power, the guitar won't connect.

I am having the same issue, except with mine, I was able to get Workbench HD working the very first time with no issue. when I tried to reconnect and do some modifications I got the same problem. Workbench does not see the USB adapter or the Variax Standard guitar. I tried to use Line 6 Monkey to see if I needed a driver update for Windows 10 and the app sees the USB connection but says it cannot tell what version firmware its running. I tried to download and install the latest update but it won't install to the adapter. I can't be sure whether this is a conflict between Line 6 drivers and Windows, or if there is something wrong with the USB adapter. I am attaching a screenshot

screenshot.jpg

58 minutes ago, psarkissian said:

Disconnect any USB hubs when dealing with Monkey an Workbench HD.

It's not seeing the interface device,... either there's a USB hub connected, or a problem with the Variax interface.

It's in that part of the signal chain.

EDIT: sorry, I missed wellsong’s comment. Their problem is not my problem.

Do you mean remove any USB hub between the computer and the variax interface?

...or do you mean “remove all other USB hubs even if they are not between the computer and the variax interface”?

...because in my troubleshooting, the variax interface was always directly connected to the computer. (Though in Mac it is connected through an A to C female to male adapter.)

and on win10, Monkey can see that the interface is connected, and can read the usb interface’s firmware version, and can tell when it is disconnected, but when connected, it only shows the interface, not the guitar.

Edited by netabuse
Clarification

On 2/4/2021 at 8:16 AM, netabuse said:

If any of the computers could see the variax, would I be saying that I had a problem?

The way it was worded i.e. "As far as the computer is concerned, there's no Variax there." it could possibly have been interpreted as only one computer couldn't see it so I just wanted to clarify. I was pretty sure you meant what you said you meant but wanted to be sure before giving you any advice. Sorry if I offended you.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2021 at 9:51 PM, netabuse said:

Thanks to psarkissian , my Variax adapter works great and I was able to go into Workbench HD and add custom instruments to my liking, Thanks! 

Did you end up sending it all in to L6 to get checked out or did they help via a phone call, just curious?

Jd