Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Headrush FRFR-108 or Yamaha DXR8MKII

Hatman777

Hello All, I'm thinking of maybe selling my Powercab Plus  and going with 2 FRFR Cabs for stereo and or possibly wet/dry setup with my Helix, I am  bedroom player, I dont play in a band (yet), I dont play really loud either, I do Record as well, So was wondering if the Yamaha is actually suited and voiced for FRFR guitar only setup, or is the Headrush FRFR-108 better voiced, as i did notice really big price difference and was wondering as to why ? also was wondering if the fidelity of modelling is superior on the Yamaha ?

Any advice or Input is much appreciated  thank you all in advance 

For bedroom playing and recording, I would think your money would be better invested in a nice set of studio monitors.

FWIW, I run my Helix through a pair of EV ZLX12P's and I think it sounds great.  You can get 2 for the price of 1 of the Yamaha's.

• Thanks 1

As a bedroom only player, I would say either get a set of near-field (studio) Monitors, or get a second PC112+ or (what I just did) trade the PC112+ for a PC212+ - the stereo is AWESOME!

PA speakers are designed to fill a large room. IOW, to project the sound out into an audience. The separate hi/lo drivers require a certain distance to properly coalesce.

The PC series is designed to better produce the "AITR" (amp in the room) effect, and the coaxial speakers combine the hi/lo frequencies without needing the distance to coalesce.

IOW, they'll sound better in your room.

When you're ready to join a band, they'll (PC series) work fine (unlike Studio Monitors) in a rehearsal space or small venue, and the XLR Out allows you to take a UNITY output to FOH - the PC's Volume knob doesn't affect that signal, so you have full control over your stage level w/o causing a headache for FOH.

As for w/d/w, I think it's over-rated. It might sound GREAT in your basement, but it's not worth the effort/expense in a live band setting. Much like wide-spread stereo (dual cabs), it sounds good by itself, but not so much with a band. The PC212+, OTOH, can sound HUGE in a small space (startlingly good separation), and with a band will just sound like a great amp with lots of movement in the sound. Not to mention the logistics of transporting, setup and teardown of a w/d/w or dual cab + amp rig.

FWIW - I live in an apartment. I have a FRFR112 that I got before I got the PC112+. I MUCH preferred the PC112+, and LOVE my PC212+, which sounds GREAT even at apartment level (60-75db).

• Thanks 1

Just pointing out that the LAST thing you  would ever want on a FRFR powered speaker is one voiced for guitar.  The whole point of those type of speakers is to give you an honest representation of your sound coming out of the FOH PA system..in other words what your audience is hearing.  In your case since you're not playing live that's probably not important.  For someone that is playing live it's critical to avoid having to tweak their homemade patches when to get to the gig.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, rd2rk said:

As a bedroom only player, I would say either get a set of near-field (studio) Monitors, or get a second PC112+ or (what I just did) trade the PC112+ for a PC212+ - the stereo is AWESOME!

PA speakers are designed to fill a large room. IOW, to project the sound out into an audience. The separate hi/lo drivers require a certain distance to properly coalesce.

The PC series is designed to better produce the "AITR" (amp in the room) effect, and the coaxial speakers combine the hi/lo frequencies without needing the distance to coalesce.

IOW, they'll sound better in your room.

When you're ready to join a band, they'll (PC series) work fine (unlike Studio Monitors) in a rehearsal space or small venue, and the XLR Out allows you to take a UNITY output to FOH - the PC's Volume knob doesn't affect that signal, so you have full control over your stage level w/o causing a headache for FOH.

As for w/d/w, I think it's over-rated. It might sound GREAT in your basement, but it's not worth the effort/expense in a live band setting. Much like wide-spread stereo (dual cabs), it sounds good by itself, but not so much with a band. The PC212+, OTOH, can sound HUGE in a small space (startlingly good separation), and with a band will just sound like a great amp with lots of movement in the sound. Not to mention the logistics of transporting, setup and teardown of a w/d/w or dual cab + amp rig.

FWIW - I live in an apartment. I have a FRFR112 that I got before I got the PC112+. I MUCH preferred the PC112+, and LOVE my PC212+, which sounds GREAT even at apartment level (60-75db).

Thank you for the info much appreciated. But the PC212 is stereo in one cabinet how does that work for separation ? 
or it does  not exactly work like HiFI audio  where 2 monitors properly separated yield the best results ? 
thank you for the clarification

1 hour ago, Hatman777 said:

Thank you for the info much appreciated. But the PC212 is stereo in one cabinet how does that work for separation ? 
or it does  not exactly work like HiFI audio  where 2 monitors properly separated yield the best results ? 
thank you for the clarification

When I got the PC212, the first thing I did was set the Stereo Width to 200% (MAX) and loaded up a stereo preset. It sounded like the speakers were 8 feet apart! I have my PC212 between my FRFR112 and my Studio Monitors which are about 4 feet to either side of the PC212, and it sounded like that was where the sound was coming from.

The preset has a phaser, and it was disorienting!

I had to narrow the field, finally settling on 125% as ideal for my ears. That sounds a bit wider than my Studio Monitors (6"), which are about 4 feet apart.

When I stated above that the the separation is AWESOME, that was NOT hyperbole! I have no clue how it works, but it sounds GREAT!

• Thanks 1