Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hx stomp latency while using it as audio interface

armored_guitar

Hi, guys. I’m noob and want to start recording myself. For that purpose I’m going to buy hx stomp. So, the question is: “is it possible to use direct guitar sound from stomp (not from daw) along with playback or metronome from daw if I want to listen it through stomp headphone output?” What will be the latency in this case (I think the most important is what will be the latency between hardware stomp monitoring and daw sound (playback)). I’ve read about huge rtl numbers, but I don’t think that in this case rtl is really important (because I want stomp to output its sound directly along with daw sound of playback). So only stomp itself latency and  latency from my laptop to stomp make sense. 

sorry for bad English, it is not my mother tongue. 

10 hours ago, armored_guitar said:

I’m noob and want to start recording myself. For that purpose I’m going to buy hx stomp.

Hi,

Read all about it in the manual before you buy. The information you need is in the HX Stomp Owner’s Manual on Page 44 - USB Audio. Many people use the Stomp for the exact purpose you are wanting to do.

https://line6.com/data/6/0a020a4010c935bb66a4c0c44f/application/pdf/HX Stomp Manual - English .pdf

Hope this helps makes sense.

When you use the Stomp as your audio interface (via USB) you will have no latency. You will be hearing the DAW metronome (and any recorded tracks) along with your real-time guitar playing .... all through headphones. Plus, you can record into your DAW a "wet" stereo track with your HX effects plus a dry mono guitar track. Its simple and it all works nicely. Just read the manual as @datacommando sez.

If you prefer to use a different audio interface for recording, you can do the same sort of thing (and with zero latency) if you take a line out of the Stomp into your audio interface. How you wire it will be depend on your interface. And, if you want to record a dry signal plus wet you'll need a way to split your guitar signal going into the interface (such as via a passive DI box).

9 hours ago, datacommando said:

Hi,

Read all about it in the manual before you buy. The information you need is in the HX Stomp Owner’s Manual on Page 44 - USB Audio. Many people use the Stomp for the exact purpose you are wanting to do.

https://line6.com/data/6/0a020a4010c935bb66a4c0c44f/application/pdf/HX Stomp Manual - English .pdf

Hope this helps makes sense.

Thank you for reply. Of course I’ve read manual before asking question. I’m only worry about rtl big numbers (15 ms). So I want to check whether rtl really play role at that case. 

also I haven’t find anything about using hardware monitoring simultaneously with daw playback (not guitar track) monitoring. 

6 hours ago, soundog said:

When you use the Stomp as your audio interface (via USB) you will have no latency. You will be hearing the DAW metronome (and any recorded tracks) along with your real-time guitar playing .... all through headphones. Plus, you can record into your DAW a "wet" stereo track with your HX effects plus a dry mono guitar track. Its simple and it all works nicely. Just read the manual as @datacommando sez.

If you prefer to use a different audio interface for recording, you can do the same sort of thing (and with zero latency) if you take a line out of the Stomp into your audio interface. How you wire it will be depend on your interface. And, if you want to record a dry signal plus wet you'll need a way to split your guitar signal going into the interface (such as via a passive DI box).

Thank you for your reply. I only want to record wet signal with the box. I’ve read about large rtl numbers (15ms) and only want to prove that it won’t be the case in such setup. So, the main question if the hardware monitoring has near zero latency, what will be the daw playback latency (again not rtl, but only one way latency). I want to have something near 2-3 ms of input latency (from guitar to earphones). And 1-3 ma from daw playback to earphones. I’m really worried about large rtl numbers. 

also I haven’t find anything about using hardware monitoring simultaneously with daw playback (not guitar track) monitoring. 

5 hours ago, armored_guitar said:

I’m only worry about rtl big numbers (15 ms).

As noted by “soundog”, when using the Stomp as an interface there will be no latency.

This is a post from TGP about HX Stomp latency test results, but it has also been discussed many times on this forum. You could search for those threads. Although,  lots of people regularly record using this product without any problems, and personally my Helix floor does this job on an almost daily basis. As you say that you are new to recording, you maybe worrying about something that isn’t going to be a problem for you.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/line-6-hx-stomp.1981420/page-149#post-27363734

or, this latest comment regarding Helix latency.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/helix-3-1.2197408/page-39

Hope this helps/makes sense.

1 hour ago, datacommando said:

As noted by “soundog”, when using the Stomp as an interface there will be no latency.

This is a post from TGP about HX Stomp latency test results, but it has also been discussed many times on this forum. You could search for those threads. Although,  lots of people regularly record using this product without any problems, and personally my Helix floor does this job on an almost daily basis. As you say that you are new to recording, you maybe worrying about something that isn’t going to be a problem for you.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/line-6-hx-stomp.1981420/page-149#post-27363734

or, this latest comment regarding Helix latency.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/helix-3-1.2197408/page-39

Hope this helps/makes sense.

thank you for reply. About latency: my guitar tutor said that rtl more than 10 seconds is very bad for practicing.

Only to check my understanding: am I right: it is possible to use hardware monitoring simultaneously with daw playback with no latency? 

1 hour ago, armored_guitar said:

thank you for reply. About latency: my guitar tutor said that rtl more than 10 seconds is very bad for practicing.

Only to check my understanding: am I right: it is possible to use hardware monitoring simultaneously with daw playback with no latency? 

Yes, it is possible to listen to playback from your DAW, or even YouTube, iTunes etc., and play along perfectly normally. This one of the great features of these products, in order to practice you simply load up your favourite backing tracks and play along.

You can connect the HX Stomp to your computer via USB and connect your monitor speakers to the Left and Right Output sockets on the rear of the Stomp, select the HX Stomp as you Audio Interface on your computer and everything just works. That's it.

O.K. your guitar tutor is correct that a 10ms delay can be very disorienting and makes it difficult to play along (I would generally use a delay time of between 8 and 10ms on a simple pitch shift to create a sound similar to a chorus effect). The speed of sound is equivalent to 331metre per second (1087 feet/sec) depending on atmospherics, so let's say 350m/s (1200ft/s) therefore 10ms is like listening to sound from a speaker cabinet 10 feet away. I know guitar players who have guitar cables longer than 10 feet and stand that far away from a cab. How do they do that?

You may find this helps.

Hope this helps/makes sense

27 minutes ago, datacommando said:

Yes, it is possible to listen to playback from your DAW, or even YouTube, iTunes etc., and play along perfectly normally. This one of the great features of these products, in order to practice you simply load up your favourite backing tracks and play along.

You can connect the HX Stomp to your computer via USB and connect your monitor speakers to the Left and Right Output sockets on the rear of the Stomp, select the HX Stomp as you Audio Interface on your computer and everything just works. That's it.

O.K. your guitar tutor is correct that a 10ms delay can be very disorienting and makes it difficult to play along (I would generally use a delay time of between 8 and 10ms on a simple pitch shift to create a sound similar to a chorus effect). The speed of sound is equivalent to 331metre per second (1087 feet/sec) depending on atmospherics, so let's say 350m/s (1200ft/s) therefore 10ms is like listening to sound from a speaker cabinet 10 feet away. I know guitar players who have guitar cables longer than 10 feet and stand that far away from a cab. How do they do that?

You may find this helps.

Hope this helps/makes sense

About the last point: I have a strong physics background. So, i think that “natural” latency don’t play so much role because of reverberation and so on. It helps us to understand where is the source of the sound. But in headphones such latency will be a weird thing 

• Like 1

Its helps to understand the difference between software and hardware monitoring in DAW recording systems. If you are listening to your guitar with headphones through hardware (such as the Stomp or through an audio interface), there is no perceptible latency (maybe about 0.001 ms!). And your DAW takes care of making sure your metronome and recorded tracks are synched with your new guitar track.

When using a DAW with software monitoring (using DAW/software instruments or plug-ins and listening to their effects with headphones), you will have latency. The amount will mainly depend on your DAW and computer settings, your operating system, and your computer's processing power. You can start to have >10 ms latency with software monitoring (especially when using small buffer settings). If you are doing your guitar processing in software while playing (with Helix Native, for example), that's when you might run into latency that can mess up your timing. And your sense of reality!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, datacommando said:

Yeah, the 10 foot guitar cable was an attempt at humour.

About the other points - no latency.

Thank you! 

sorry for my too-serious-for-forum answer. It is some kind of professional bias :-) 

Line6 has very friendly forum community) 

thank you one more time 

• Thanks 1

On 2/7/2021 at 3:16 PM, armored_guitar said:

10ms of round-trip-latency is totally fine (as soon as you are not to far from the speakers) .

I'd suggest to read this article and research;

http://whirlwindusa.com/support/tech-articles/opening-pandoras-box/

7 hours ago, PierM said:

10ms of round-trip-latency is totally fine (as soon as you are not to far from the speakers) .

I'd suggest to read this article and research;

http://whirlwindusa.com/support/tech-articles/opening-pandoras-box/

I’ve read a lot of articles. But I still want to have less then 10 (better 5-8) ms of latency while stomp has 16 ms rtl using windows pc. Which is totally not okay

I’ve checked by myself that 15 ms is too much for me for comfortable playing with metronome click (using headphones) 

Sound dog and data commando have answered that my case latency will a much less than 10 ms. And I’m glad that it is so 

• 2 weeks later...