Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Back up Cable

kevs22

I just looked at the manual. You're talking about MIDI Scene Dumps.

If your device is set to auto save, you want an interface cable hooked up all the time

If you have an audio interface that has standard DIN type MIDI connectors, you don't need this. A pair of standard MIDI DIN cables will suffice.

If not, then you need this type of interface cable, and this particular one is an industry standard that's known to dependably transmit the longer sysex files that these types of dumps use, vs the short MIDI messages sent by MIDI keyboards for controlling Synth VSTs and such..

In any case, unless you never change the Scene configurations, you'll want to back up more than once or twice a year.

Computers 101 - "Back up early, back up often!".

35 minutes ago, kevs22 said:

"is there something almost as good at much better rate?".  Maybe not. Maybe someone has recommendation better than $50.00

Note that I used the descriptive term "dependably".

For $8 you can get a MIDI interface cable from Amazon or eBay.

Maybe it'll work.

I have two. Physically identical, probably made in the same Chinese factory.

Both work fine for passing notes from my MIDI synth.

One passes sysex messages, the other does not.

EDIT: They've gone up. They're around $16 now. Still no way to even find out if they'll pass sysex. Maybe if you speak Chinese, but then there's the long distance charges......

These are also known to pass MIDI sysex messages, save you $10 if you have Amazon Prime or your local GC has them:

https://smile.amazon.com/iConnectivity-mio-1-out-MIDI-Interface/dp/B00CO5IRSG/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=midi+interface&qid=1612905284&s=musical-instruments&sr=1-3

https://smile.amazon.com/Roland-UM-ONE-MK2-MIDI-Cable/dp/B00967UN50/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=midi+interface&qid=1612905329&s=musical-instruments&sr=1-8

Just now, kevs22 said:

Pass on Chinese; Roland one is $10 less thanks. If you someone else sees good one better rate let me know  thanks.

Just remember to ask - "Is this KNOWN to pass sysex?" "Link to data source PLEASE!"

I know these work because I support the FCB1010 on it's user forum, and this question comes up often.