Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hd147 General Question?

• 2 weeks later...

The HD147 is definitely a step up from the Spider series...it was released around the same time as the Flextone and Duoverb amps, which were a professional tour-ready series.  The closest thing you could compare them to these days would be the DT series from Line 6.

Basically the HD147 took the Flextone amps, the XT amps (and their technology), and coupled it with some "higher gain" offerings in a 300 watt head.  The editing and interface is almost exact as the Duoverb and Flex III's.  All of these included amps appear to be distilled from the Vetta II series.  

If you are at all familiar with what was offered in the XT Metal Shop model packs (and the POD X3), you will be familiar with the HD147 amplifier models.

It is a fantastic amplifier, very under-rated.

I have used one for a very long time. Maybe since 2008? I have even bought  a slew of tube amps in the years and only the HD147 if that tells you something. 

Play a variety of styles mostly two genres though in two separate groups. One is a classic metalcore act (think Undying, The Haunted, Meshuggah elements) and the other group is an ambient/psychedelic group (NIN, Coil, Third Eye Foundation, etc)

I highly recommend the amp it is a work-horse and VERY under-rated like the above poster stated. The real trick is in the Line 6 edit software and understanding that dialing in the amp does not work like a normal amplifier. It is trial and error and may take a while to land your exact tone. Have a few cabinets and the best cab I have found for it is the old Flextone II cab's with the Eminence custom speakers met for modeling amps. If you can find one of these cabs as they are quite rare these days scoop it up, it is the line 6 cabinet with the wheat colored grill. 

Always loved the way the Vetta II looks but that had more reliability issues and some say the HD147 sounds better for metal. Never had a problem cutting through in a band situation, and the shortboard is a must with this amp to get the full features. 

If you have anymore questions please ask. 

• Upvote 1

I have used one for a very long time. Maybe since 2008? I have even bought  a slew of tube amps in the years and only the HD147 if that tells you something. 

Play a variety of styles mostly two genres though in two separate groups. One is a classic metalcore act (think Undying, The Haunted, Meshuggah elements) and the other group is an ambient/psychedelic group (NIN, Coil, Third Eye Foundation, etc)

I highly recommend the amp it is a work-horse and VERY under-rated like the above poster stated. The real trick is in the Line 6 edit software and understanding that dialing in the amp does not work like a normal amplifier. It is trial and error and may take a while to land your exact tone. Have a few cabinets and the best cab I have found for it is the old Flextone II cab's with the Eminence custom speakers met for modeling amps. If you can find one of these cabs as they are quite rare these days scoop it up, it is the line 6 cabinet with the wheat colored grill. 

Always loved the way the Vetta II looks but that had more reliability issues and some say the HD147 sounds better for metal. Never had a problem cutting through in a band situation, and the shortboard is a must with this amp to get the full features. 

If you have anymore questions please ask.

Can they do Blues and Southern Rock? Lol.

I am convinced it can do anything. 

A friend of mine uses in a Queens Of The Stone age, Black Keys, Strokes vibed band and nails it. The key is really to know your guitars, cab, pedals, etc and really tweak the sound with Line 6 Edit, i can't say enough how much the program makes the amp.