Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

MIDI Clock

psweetie11

I have a JetPedal MCX MIDI controller which I have setup to send MIDI Clock Tap message. If I select the HX Stomp global setting "Rx MIDI Clock" and turn it to Auto or MIDI, the whole things works. I was using the Tap Tempo CC message but with the MCX it seems to have a limit as to how fast the taps can be. No such problems with the MIDI Clock Tap message. Note that the blinking LED on the Tap button on the HX Stomop turns blue, as in the manual. However, If I try to tap in  a new tempo on the HX Stomp it no longer takes any notice. You have to turn the global setting off to revert to thr Red blinking LED and the ability to locally enter the Tap Tempo. I would have thought with Auto set it should be able to take external or internal MIDI Clock commands?

Philip

6 minutes ago, psweetie11 said:

However, If I try to tap in  a new tempo on the HX Stomp it no longer takes any notice.

If you have set your Stomp to receive MIDI clock signal from an external device, then I would expect it to ignore any other tap input.

Imagine the chaos that could happen if the Stomp is slaved to an external clock, but the you accidentally hit the onboard Tap switch.

This explains MIDI sync.

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/how-to-sync-midi-devices/

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, psweetie11 said:

I would have thought with Auto set it should be able to take external or internal MIDI Clock commands?

Nope. Auto means "Auto-Sense", so it does automatically switch from external clock as soon as it does receive such a message. If no external clock is being received, then does automatically use its own internal clock. In this scenario, the input isn't your TAP, but the incoming clock.

25 minutes ago, psweetie11 said:

is there a way to turn it back via MIDI if needed, or effectively is it one or the other as part of a global setup?

No. It's either external or internal, and this is for a good reason. Isn't a good move to jump between clocks that way. ;)

May I ask what's the point to jump back and forth between different clocks and tap FS? Sounds messed up to me.

Just learning. About to change to a different MIDI controller with a few more buttons and will probably set that to control master Tap Tempo and send out clock. My current smaller controller has no screen and the Tap is a couple of clicks away so wondered whether you could set it via either switch. Think everyone has pointed out that is not a great idea. Just learning.