Sign in to follow this  
Beacher

Cat cable question

I bought a Cat 7 outdoor cable for my FBV Shortboard MKII foot pedal to my Spider V 60. I was using a Cat 5 cable (no problems) but the retaining clip broke so it was always coming out of the socket. When I pliugged the Cat 7 cable in all I get on the pedal is a the screen display saying FBV 5B MKII. No foot switch lights and no function (won't display the presets etc.). Plug the Cat 5 back on and eveything works. So something doesn't seem to like the Cat 7 cable even though the specs say it is backward compatible? Has anyone experienced this or have a fix? I am thinking I have to return the Cat 7 and just get a Cat 5?

Screen Shot 2021-02-10 at 2.22.26 PM.png

Answering my own question ... I just traded some gear I wasn't using to get an FBV3 controller. It's very nice. Definitley like it better than the FBV2 (short board). Also, the Cat 7 cable (the subject of my post) works perfectly with the FBV3 but not the FBV2. The FBV2 (in to a Spider V) does work perfectly with a Cat 5 cable. I like the feel of the switches on the FBV3 much better and also the display is nicer (prefer the blue on the 3 over the yellow on the 2) and brighter. The only thing to get used to as a differential is the fact that on the FBV3 the foot switch lights are on all the time, they just get brighter when engaged whereas on the FBV2 the lights only come on when the specific effect is engaged. I do like the color coding of the FBV3 lights to the specific effects. I also like the volume pedal on the 3 better. IMHO if you have a Spider anything, and you are gigging on any level, you need a floorboard controller for navigation. Maybe I am not allowed to dish this product on this forum but I feel it is overpriced, however that being said, since it is essential (IMHO) I got it anyways and I live with the cost of doing business. My synopsis in a nutshell.

22 hours ago, Beacher said:

... Maybe I am not allowed to dish this product on this forum but I feel it is overpriced, however that being said, since it is essential (IMHO) I got it anyways and I live with the cost of doing business. My synopsis in a nutshell.

No, you are allowed.  The cool thing about Line 6 is that every time you buy some of their gear, they give you a 25% coupon off anything for just filling out a survey on whatever you bought.  I got my Spider V 240HC mk ii head for a good discount from GC, then after I filled out the survey on the head I got a 25%-off coupon that I used to save $25 off the G10T transmitter (reg $100); then I filled out the survey on the transmitter and got another 25% coupon that I am right about to use on a FBV3.