Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Dirt Pedal Closest to MIAB Pedal (SL Drive, Charlie Brown)

ucnick

Any suggestions as to which dirtbox pedal model(s) would provide the best JTM45 -ish/Plexi/MIAB tones? I'm talking EVH brown sound, Allmans, Zep, Deep Purple, that sort of tone, hard blues up to hard rock but not metal. Two of my faves are SL Drive and Charlie Brown. Something like those two, it should clean up fairly well with the guitar volume knob and dropping the pedal gain. Legacy Drive is sorta ok but doesn't clean up very well, even at low gain it's pretty wooly. OCD seems closest. Anyone have anything they've used before that gets close to the mark?

6 hours ago, ucnick said:

Any suggestions as to which dirtbox pedal model(s) would provide the best JTM45 -ish/Plexi/MIAB tones?

Amp in the box pedals copy the tones of the preamps of that particular amp. The Helix provides "preamp models" of every amp so a dirt box stomp version isn't really needed! 

You want a JTM45 MIAB tone. Insert a JTM45 Preamp model. 

You want a Plexi MIAB tone, Insert a Plexi Preamp model. 

Keep in mind, if you use amp modeling in the Helix then this is sort of redundant when you could just use that full amp model.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. I should have stated that I have an HX Effects, in addition to a Helix. Mea culpa.

I usually gig with the HX FX, hence no preamp/power amp models, only pedals. I typically drive an amp with it, either tube or SS run clean and I use the HX FX to provide the dirt and effects. 

Right now I  use two general purpose presets, one based around Dhiyana drive and one around Tone Sovereign, which sorta gets me into Marshall territory. Just wondering if another one is closer.

5 hours ago, ucnick said:

I usually gig with the HX FX, hence no preamp/power amp models, only pedals.

Yeah, that kinda moves the goal posts a little :) 

The Tone Sovereign and Heir Apparent pedals are a natural for MIAB.... I'd also suggest taking a good look at the Tee-mah (Timmy). I find a with the Tee-mah and some clever snapshots I can cover a lot of dirt territory.