Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Spider V mkii Plus Pod Go

codycomposer

I have a Pod Go, and my amp is a Spider V 240 mkii. I'm trying to figure out the correct settings to have the Spider act like a typical amp, because it seems like I'm getting doubled up effects when I run the Pod Go through the Spider. How do I bypass all the fancy stuff on the Spider so that any effects and such are only coming from the Pod Go?

Thanks for the help,

Cody 

So, if I understand correctly, you are feeding the signal from your Pod Go already loaded with all the modeled amp, desired effects, distortion, etc. into the input of the Spider V 240.  On the 240 amp, select "FX" and turn off all your amp's effects.  Then (also on the amp) select "AMP" and turn down the "Drive" -- either that, or go through some of the clean presets to find one that works well with the Pod Go.  Keep in mind that "stacking" solid-state modelling and effects over even more solid-state modelling and effects (even clean tones) sometimes takes a while to find something that sounds good and "organic".  It is in there, though.  After experimenting, come back to this thread and post your results.

To use the Spider V as a power amp and speaker, you would need to patch from the Pod Go into the Aux In on the back of the amp. You'll need a special cable to go from the Pod Go's 2-1/4in jacks to the Spider V 1/8in stereo jack.

The other option is to do what you're doing. Try any of the "Clean" amp category but I would set up a signal chain with either the "No Amp" or "Studio Preamp" so you're not getting the coloration of the amp model of the Spider. 

Here's a sample chain I would use:

> Gate>Wah>Comp>Studio Preamp...

You can't delete the gate, wah or any of the other effects in the signal chain, but just turn them off and use the Pod Go's effects instead of the Spider V's. Good luck!

Thank you both for your thorough responses! It was driving me crazy, because I was thinking "Why would line 6 sell this thing if it doesn't even work with their own amps?" I was starting to wonder if I needed to buy a different amp.

I will try both of these approaches and if there are any interesting outcomes I'll report back here.

Thanks again,

Cody

• 5 months later...
On 2/14/2021 at 10:22 PM, codycomposer said:

I have a Pod Go, and my amp is a Spider V 240 mkii. I'm trying to figure out the correct settings to have the Spider act like a typical amp, because it seems like I'm getting doubled up effects when I run the Pod Go through the Spider. How do I bypass all the fancy stuff on the Spider so that any effects and such are only coming from the Pod Go?

Thanks for the help,

Cody 

I also have the same Spider V 240 MkII

How did this go?  Are there any updates?  I'd like to know what worked best.  I am strongly considering the POD Go but maybe I just need the FBV 3 Pedalboard instead?

Are the effects the same in the POD Go as in the Spider V 240 MkII?

Hi there,

Apologies for never following up on this. Here's a summary of my results:

LEAST SUCCESSFUL: Connect Amp Out on Pod Go to Input on Spider mkii. Create a "clear" patch on the mkii without any effects or amp settings. I couldn't get this to work, I kept encountering a "doubled effects" type sound, which I couldn't work with. There might be a better way to do this, I just couldn't get it to work.

SOLIDLY SUCCESSFUL: Connect Amp Out on Pod Go to Aux In on mkii using a 1/4-1/8 cable. I was able to get a good tone out of the amp using this method.

MOST SUCCESSFUL: Connect Main Outs (L&R) on Pod Go using two 1/4 cables, connect to 2 1/4 to 1/8 converter (basically a y-split) to Aux In on mkii. This produced the best sound overall.

Would be interested to hear other approaches. Still strange that Line6 doesn't add a "bypass" switch on their amps in case someone wants to use a Pod Go with a Line6 amp!

The Spider V amps are really cool, and a great bargain- but still crucially need a few things as far as the back panel goes.

#1 - they REALLY need a stereo effects loop. This would be a game changer for the the Spider line, and i hope they include it in the next line.

This would allow you to simply put the POD through the effects loop and use either the POD or the amp for the modeling.   You could also use a Helix or any other kind of effects unit.

#2  It would be helpful to have L/R 1/4"  AUX in.   The "most successful" method you are using with the 1/8 stereo aux-in  does work fine.  But I get nervous with that tiny jack.  Anything bumps it with a cord in there and its going to break.  Would be nice to have a more sturdy option.

#3 Option to add or remove to signal from the AUX IN to the direct outs.  I still haven't gotten an answer whether the AUX IN signal shows up on the direct out (xlr or 1/4") signal from this forum.  I finally ordered some xlr cords so I can test it myself and I will post the results.

The reason it would be nice to remove the aux-in signal from the 1/4" outs.. but then keep it at the XLR outs is that you could then use the 1/4" outs as a stereo effects send and the AUX-IN as the stereo effects return, while  having the final mixed signal output show up at the XLR outs.

This would not be needed if the amp had a good stereo effects loop, but it would still be a nice option to have.

Hopefully, they include these feature in the new Spider Amp line, whenever that may materialize...

(another thing that would be nice on a new line of amps is bluetooth control, and also the abiility to add new effects to the amps memory.  I would be willing to buy new effects ala carte and upload them to my amp if the option was there)

I've run the headphone outputs from my Helix Floor to the aux in on my Spider V 240hc using a stereo 1/4 to 1/8 stereo cable and it sounds surprisingly good to me.  My S5 240hc is sitting on a Peavey 4x12 cab.

With some effort, you can probably get the Go to connect to the guitar input on the S5 using a custom S5 patch that doesn't have an amp or any other effects on.   I've messed around with that some, but defaulted to the Aux in solution.

The amp models are all different between the Go and the S5.  Some of the S5 effects are the same as the legacy effects on the Go. 

It is a bad assumption that Line 6 designed their multi effect platforms to work with the current amps they are selling.  

On 8/13/2021 at 4:08 PM, tikimug said:

#1 - they REALLY need a stereo effects loop. This would be a game changer for the the Spider line

... and also the ability to add new effects to the amps memory.  I would be willing to buy new effects ala carte and upload them to my amp if the option was there ...

I have a Spider V 240HC mk ii: 

I completely agree with the effects-loop comment above.  Without an effects loop, it really kills the ability to add external effects.  Yes, you can add additional effects directly through the guitar's signal path, but -- if you do -- that completely kills the usefulness of the GT10 cordless functionality.  To me, the GT10 cordless is awesome.  And because of the impact of losing "cordless", the thought of adding additional effects in series is completely off the table for me, and not even considered.

Clearly, the Spider V design was intended to be an all-inclusive amp/effects solution which it actually does extremely well.  I am sure that when designing Spider V, the Line 6 engineers never even considered that users might want to add a Pod Go on top of Spider V.  Because the Spider V effects are so useful and also so extensive, Line 6 clearly was thinking that they could cut the "no effects loop" corner without users even missing it.  Because the Spider V effects/functionality/tone is so good and so extensive -- for me -- I can live without the effects loop and still be a very happy Line 6 user/customer.  But, without a doubt, having an effects loop would definitely be very nice and would allow greater functionality.  I suspect that adding an effects loop to the eventual Spider VI  would be the primary reason for Spider V owners to upgrade, along with Bluetooth.  And maybe that has been the Line 6 marketing roadmap all along with regards to Spider V to Spider VI ... (?)

Additionally, the idea of adding new effects to Spider V is a brilliant idea.  Having new software patches to add effects would absolutely create a buzz and additional interest/publicity for the Spider V line.  Boy, if the Line 6 engineering/marketing folks are reading this, I think "Tikimug" with that idea can safely say to them: "ummm, you're welcome".  

• 1 month later...

Does this apply to all Vmkii amps, I have the 60w and was thinking of adding the PodGo wireless to get the same effects to use through a looper and get wireless connection to use with either the PodGo or the amp (without using the looper and podgo). I have the FBV2, so I have pedal control of effects but only on the amp, I can't add the looper unless I use it just for guitar with no effects before it (only after), if that makes sense?

• 1 year later...
On 2/10/2023 at 6:39 PM, corno said:

To me it seems Line 6 needs to come up with a reasonably priced stereo powered speaker cabinet for their Helix/POD GO and other floor processor customers.

They already did, years ago. The Line 6 StageSource family of speakers (see Legacy Products on this website) were (are) amazing. Then Yamaha bought Line 6 and apparently decided that they were directly competing with existing Yamaha products. They were mothballed shortly thereafter. The StageSource speakers as well as the StageScape mixer haven’t been heard of since.

I still use the M20d mixer and a pair of L3t speakers. Love them.

• 4 weeks later...

We use the complete  system with Stagescape, Stagesource L3t, L3m and L3s. Super easy to use and set up. L6 Link is a perfect technical solution. In addition, the overall system sounds fantastic. 
We have no understanding at all that Line6 no longer offers and technically supports the system. 
One should at least expect that the software is adapted and maintained to current operating systems. That would be the least. The Yamaha systems do not come close to the performance of the Line6 system. Absolute waste of know-how at the expense of the customer. Unacceptable!!!

On 3/9/2023 at 10:10 AM, JochenKopp said:

We have no understanding at all that Line6 no longer offers and technically supports the system. 
One should at least expect that the software is adapted and maintained to current operating systems. That would be the least. The Yamaha systems do not come close to the performance of the Line6 system. ..

And yet, when Yamaha purchased Line 6 this entire product line was discounted. Hopefully some of the IP has or will find its way into the Yamaha products but Yamaha apparently chose to kill some competition in this market.