Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Issue with solo high notes on Helix

SylvL

Hello guys!

First of all, sorry for my English.
I've been a proud new helix user for about two weeks. I'm most of all really happy with it, but I must admit that there is some big issue for me...

I'm a metalhead, so I love really high gain (was using pedals lige Metal Muff and things like that before) so I naturally tried to do a Metal preset. Rythmics are great (they're gonna be awesome later), but when I try to play high notes (like G string over fret 12) they really sound bad, like they are vibrating.

I tried different presets (factory ones + Ola Englund ones) with different guitars, from really high gain to crunch, still the same kind of bad sounding high notes. Once there is distortion, even a little bit, they sound bad.

I tried to find a solution over the internet, I tried things like high cut (global + on cab), turn the pad on, etc, but it doesn't seem to solve my problem.

Does someone have a solution? I really need some help over this :'(

I attach a sound file to kind of illustrate what I'm saying.

Helix High Notes.mp3

Without knowing what you're using for your output of the Helix signal this would likely only produce uneducated guesses about what's happening with your setup.  It sounds a bit like clipping in your MP3, but that could just as easily be coming from your recording setup.  What does your output signal level look like when you select the output block?

You're right there's some info missing:
-For this record I used the Helix usb right into my computer, recorded with audacity, that usually doesn't clip with any of my other means of record.
-The exact same sound appears with the XLR Output (I tried it into a Focusrite), the headphone output, and the 1/4 output.
-I tested the cables on other gear, they do not seem to have any problem.

-Output at 0dB

You can find a little extract in the first post (based on Ola Englund preset called OlaEnglPeenisLu, just enabled a high cut on the cab + global eq) but I'll send more later today.
However, pretty much any preset that uses disto produces the same kind of "noise", for example the ANGL Meteor or L6 Badonk... even crunchy ones have the same problem to me.
Thing is, I don't hear this thing when listening to people on YouTube playing on the Helix.

12 hours ago, SylvL said:

You're right there's some info missing:
-For this record I used the Helix usb right into my computer, recorded with audacity, that usually doesn't clip with any of my other means of record.
-The exact same sound appears with the XLR Output (I tried it into a Focusrite), the headphone output, and the 1/4 output.
-I tested the cables on other gear, they do not seem to have any problem.

-Output at 0dB

I think you misunderstood when I mentioned the clipping.  I was referring to your Helix signal chain level, not your recording level.  In other words, the signal level represented at bottom when you select the output block on the Helix.  It may not be clipping as much as it is a limiter or compressor intermittently kicking in.  Especially if your signal level is very hot.

4 hours ago, SylvL said:

You can find a little extract in the first post (based on Ola Englund preset called OlaEnglPeenisLu, just enabled a high cut on the cab + global eq) but I'll send more later today.
However, pretty much any preset that uses disto produces the same kind of "noise", for example the ANGL Meteor or L6 Badonk... even crunchy ones have the same problem to me.
Thing is, I don't hear this thing when listening to people on YouTube playing on the Helix.

I yes I missed that, got it.

Indeed, something is weird.

Can't reproduce this without either some noise gate or something similar.

13 minutes ago, SylvL said:

Yep sorry, I checked and it doesn't go beyond 50%. And the levels in the chain are set at 0dB and around 5-6 for the volume.

I recorded a bit more, with those presets:

-ANGL Meteor

-L6 Elektrik

-PV Panama

-Englund

Test Helix.mp3 391.79 kB · 1 download

This is recorded direct from the helix? Through usb?

5 minutes ago, SylvL said:

Yes! I once tried XLR output through my Focusrite but tbh it's pretty useless, and doesn't change the sound.

Yes I get the sound through XLR and it doesn't change a thing, though it's easier for me as I can have everyuting plugged to my interface.

Anyway I can't reproduce that issue. I was wondering if it might be something like your guitar's pickup? Are they active? Or anything between the guitar and the helix?

I tried with 3 different guitars, Ibanez ARC - Ibanez RGD - PRS SE Custom 24-7, no active one, pretty different ranges of price --> same thing
I tested my cables on my analog gear, and the sound is great, can't hear anything strange...

7 minutes ago, SylvL said:

I tried with 3 different guitars, Ibanez ARC - Ibanez RGD - PRS SE Custom 24-7, no active one, pretty different ranges of price --> same thing
I tested my cables on my analog gear, and the sound is great, can't hear anything strange...

post the preset here, so that at least it's same patch. Don't say "does this with any preset" as I cant get that sound with any of them. So, going granular (aka being on the same page), might help isolating things.

37 minutes ago, SylvL said:

Nada. I can't reproduce the problem. Couple of suggestions; try to stop the other strings, while playing single notes like that (to prevent ghost resonance) and also try reducing the Noise Gate at the input, which was really high, and this is not really helping getting clean notes, especially during the natural decay.

That's a Gibson Les Paul Custom, from 87, with stock Tim Shaw humbuckers (bridge in this case). ANGL Meteor preset, the one you attached. 

Attached my sample of a bunch of random notes on B and e Strings..

Helix High Notes_TEST.mp3

I cannot reproduce your problem at all... but I can clearly hear it in your audio examples. 

51 minutes ago, SylvL said:

I tried with 3 different guitars, Ibanez ARC - Ibanez RGD - PRS SE Custom 24-7, no active one

Do you set your guitars up very similar to each other? 

IMO,  this sounds like the pickups are too high (close to the strings) and the magnetic pull is effecting the string vibration. The sound is likely always there... but with lots of gain it becomes more noticeable. When you begin to play above the 12th fret it becomes even more pronounced.... and is a common problem with magnetic pickups. The neck pickup will have more impact than the bridge pickup... try lowing just that one to start with, then just lower the bridge to match volumes. 

• Like 1

Wow, that was about the pickups! Didn't even know that was a thing to be honest, I'm feeling kinda dumb.
They were pretty close to the strings, I just lowered them from 3mm, and it totally changed everything.

Gotta tune all my pickups now!

Really happy that L6 has such a great community, you guys really made my day :)

Big thanks to all of you for the help!

• Thanks 1