Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

DSP usage between paths - sound quality?

markvargha

Hi guys,

My question is possibly dumb and it clearly shows that I don't have a single idea about how DSP works - but you might be able to clarify.

I know that the dual DSP power of the Helix is shared between the paths. I am running a fairly simple signal chain, eveything in serial (noise gate, wah, amp, IR, volume pedal, delay, maybe chorus) and since I am not maxing out DSP I am only on path 1.

Would it make any sense - strictly from a sound quality point of view - to "share the load" between the paths, that is, connect path 2 in serial and move some blocks over there (say, starting from the IR block)? Could this result in improved sound quality or you would say it doesn't matter since the DSP in path 1 is not maxed out?

You could also say "try it for yourself and decide", and I have actually done it and did not notice any huge sound quality difference, but possibly the difference would only come out in certain circumstances (with higher volume on a stage, or with higher gain settings etc.). I am basically interested in how DSP processes my sound - is quality affected by how much of it I actually use (like a video card is processing the graphics of a game on a PC, but sometimes it lags because it is not powerful enough) or is it working regardless of the "load" it has?

Many thanks for any inputs on this.

I agree with Cruisin, either there is enough DSP to run the effect as its designed or it isnt and it'd be grayed out.  For this purpose alone to spread things out, for me I use the 'break' between path 1 and 2 as the connection between amp and cab.  everything and including before the amp block on top line, everything cab and post after on line 2.  gives me the most DSP to play with stuff.  Occasionally I have to put a 2nd amp on the 2nd path, but this gives me the most dsp for better quality/higher effects choices pre/post....

but to also answer your question the quality of the effect doesnt change because of more available DSP

2 hours ago, themetallikid said:

I agree with Cruisin, either there is enough DSP to run the effect as its designed or it isnt and it'd be grayed out.  For this purpose alone to spread things out, for me I use the 'break' between path 1 and 2 as the connection between amp and cab.  everything and including before the amp block on top line, everything cab and post after on line 2.  gives me the most DSP to play with stuff.  Occasionally I have to put a 2nd amp on the 2nd path, but this gives me the most dsp for better quality/higher effects choices pre/post....

but to also answer your question the quality of the effect doesnt change because of more available DSP

Great, thanks man! I also use path 1 & 2 if I use highly DSP intensive blocks (like the Poly Capo, where it eats up the major part of DSP available on the path, so I put almost everything else to path 2), but there I obviously have no other choice. For my basic presets however, I don't need to do that, and - as you made it clear - it would not make any sense either.

30 minutes ago, markvargha said:

Great, thanks man! I also use path 1 & 2 if I use highly DSP intensive blocks (like the Poly Capo, where it eats up the major part of DSP available on the path, so I put almost everything else to path 2), but there I obviously have no other choice. For my basic presets however, I don't need to do that, and - as you made it clear - it would not make any sense either.

Yeah I love the poly pitch/capo idea, and for my song specific presets, I try to get everything on Path 2, as I leave Path 1 for the Poly effect to drop down 1/2 step.  If I need room, I'll try and copy/paste a block or two from Path 2 Pre-Amp up to Path 1 to see if it'll paste or not.  As most times its a comp or OD or something that isnt super DSP heavy.  

• Like 1