Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can anyone walk me through controlling Native with footswitches??

JimDiGritz

Just for context - I only play at home and mostly just tone match and jam along with music and backing tracks.

I used to have a Helix Floor but the mainboard died and I'm saving up to get it repaired (its out of warranty and I've been warned it's probably a $300-400 fix - plus shipping.)

So whilst that's in it's box I bought Native which actually for my purposes is perfect. The only thing I really miss is being able to switch Snapshots and use variable effects like a Wah pedal.

I *thought* it would be trivial to buy a generic usb footswitch unit - maybe even with an expression pedal - and plug and play.... I niaively thought that like any other USB input (eg a joystick) that I could just remap the controls into Helix... however so far my research is telling me that I'd probably have better luck putting a man on the moon....

Firstly I can't seem to find a budget footswitch. Given that I just need a couple of switches and maybe an expression pedal I thought there would be some cheap generic options (I'm not gigging with this!!) but I can either spend $300 on a FBV 3 or maybe find an earlier FBV Express MkII which I believe has USB..

Even if I buy one of these my research is uncovering a wall of tech issues - it sounds like I have to remap the MIDI cc#s (never heard of it!!) to somehow trigger Reaper's automation envelops to then somehow send the Helix Command inputs to Native's assigns......... bzzzzzzzzzzzzz you get my point..

So my question is, can anyone point me to a step by step guide to do what I thought was simple - use a basic usb footswitch to control snapshots and levels (eg Wah) in Native?

Cheers!!

What do you want to do with the pedals?  I use a midi pedal (actually, my HxEffects as a midi pedal) pretty much just to connect an expression pedal for wah.  To do that, I use control center on the HXFX to output the desired midi cc from the expression pedal and connect by usb to the computer.  In Cubase, I make sure that midi data from the pedal is enabled (in studio setup), then set Helix Native to connect the desired parameter to the desired controller number, using the "automation / controller assign" tab in the editor.  If recording, I record the midi data on a separate midi track, so that it will play back properly later. I don't really use switches to bypass / enable effects, because if I want a different sound for a lead part or something I put it on a different track and record it separately, but it could be done the same way if you want that.  I also don't use the pedal to change presets, but I assume that could be done by sending a midi program change.

I've never used Reaper, so I don't know what you need to do to make sure that the midi data gets to Native.  It's easy in Cubase, but does need to be done.  Also, on a Mac MIDI pretty much just works, but if you're on a PC there may be something you need to do that I'm not aware of.

Really, this is all pretty easy.  I set aside a full morning to figure it out and make it work the first time, and was pleasantly surprised with it only took me like 15 minutes.

im also interested in this! i have a usb 3 footswitch pedal that i use for youtube start/stop etc.. but i want to be able to change snapshots on hx native inside my daw (reaper)

Anyone knows how? its NOT a midi footswitch; its a regular usb one.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been using an  FBV express mk11 for a couple of months now to control native using reaper. I use it to change snapshots and start and stop recording. I can use the expression pedal for Wah etc.

It took a long time to work out and I will need to make myself familiar again with the steps.

Give me a couple of days and I will post what I had to do.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 3/5/2021 at 5:38 PM, clump said:

As promised...

How I set up controlling snapshot changes etc in Helix native using Reaper and a midi foot switch.

This relates specifically to Line 6 FBV Express MK11 but would be applicable to other Midi devices.

helix native midi control in reaper.pdf 716.27 kB · 34 downloads

Followed these instructions but the little midi light on the Reaper channel containing the Helix Native VST isn't lighting up.  I've tested my CC commands using morning star's web - based midi monitor.

• 5 months later...
On 3/6/2021 at 4:38 AM, clump said:

As promised...

How I set up controlling snapshot changes etc in Helix native using Reaper and a midi foot switch.

This relates specifically to Line 6 FBV Express MK11 but would be applicable to other Midi devices.

helix native midi control in reaper.pdf 716.27 kB · 44 downloads

Man, thank you very much! I've just get MKII for control Helix Native. The only difference - I use Cantabile as VST Host where Helix Native is used and Reaper for back tracks only. With your manual i successfully set up switching between two snapshots using one switch in toggle mode. I'm not too familiar with midi protocol and you pointed me just right to MIDI Commands and CC #69 which Native uses for switching snapshots. It would be great to have whole specifications for every CC. :)

Next - I'd like to set up switching between presets and use pedal for wah-effect.

P.S. Very appreciate. Your pdf-manual with screenshot is just great. ;)