Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New User. Anyone using XDV55/75 as wireless mics for film/video production?

Hi All. First post. I do some field recording (nature, sound effects, etc) and I'm intending to do some location recording for indy films/videos.

I just bought a used XD-V55L (wireless lav set) at a great price, to use as a wireless mic on location.

Is anyone else here using the Line 6 wireless mics for film/video? Any advice for using this sort of 2.4 GHz digital mic for locations? Tips and tricks?

In my tests so far,

• the connection is good and solid, no dropouts
  • I'm a bit concerned about the noise floor comming out of the receiver
  • battery life acceptable

I'm expecting(hoping) that most shooting locations won't be as problematic as doing live sound when it comes to 2.4G interference, but time will tell.

Thanks in advance.

• 1 year later...

Hi, yes since Covid brought some Online Streaming production jobs with it, I did some fair testing of my XD-V75 Equipment in that respect. The Handhelds are fine for dialog, however the stock Lapel mics turned out to be much to noisy for recording. For live, they always did the trick. It's not the receivers, but the "cheap" Lav capsules themselves. I tested some Shure Lapels like the WL 183–185 or the CVL. They all work very nicely with the beltpacks and offer a much hotter signal and better SNR.

You should definitely give that a try. Especially the Shure CVL could be a nice budget option for you.

• 4 months later...
On 8/31/2022 at 1:54 PM, hberner said:

Hi, yes since Covid brought some Online Streaming production jobs with it, I did some fair testing of my XD-V75 Equipment in that respect. The Handhelds are fine for dialog, however the stock Lapel mics turned out to be much to noisy for recording. For live, they always did the trick. It's not the receivers, but the "cheap" Lav capsules themselves. I tested some Shure Lapels like the WL 183–185 or the CVL. They all work very nicely with the beltpacks and offer a much hotter signal and better SNR.

You should definitely give that a try. Especially the Shure CVL could be a nice budget option for you.

Are you saying that you can replace the lav mic on the Line 6 transmitter with these Shure models? I've been struggling to get a decent audio recording quality and level from our Line 6 XD-V75L, regardless of settings. I went through the SPF-1 to SPF-6 options on the transmitter, but could not hear a difference between them. Connecting the receiver output to a Zoom H4N recorder produces a very weak-level audio recording. I have to use the "Talk" setting in the receiver's Dynamic Filter or I get all kinds of noise. I thought the Line 6 is supposed to be state of the art, but our 10-year-old Shure wireless lav sets produced much better results. I'm thinking there has to be something I'm missing.