Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix and DT25/50

JacksonFirebird

Hi all,

Bought my Helix floor a year ago and I love it. Been using it primarily together with Powercab and have been quite satisfied so far. But sometimes it feels like I’m missing that tube feel. I had an DT50 combo earlier that I sold but remembered how great it was so I got myself a DT25 head instead now.

Now I’m trying to figure out how to get the Helix to work with the DT... I have connected the Helix to the DT via the L6 Link and got sound through the amp. So far, so good... But when shifting to different amp models, nothing happens in the DT? No changes in the topology whatsoever?

And I can’t find any easy to understand description anywhere. I guess there are some settings that I haven’t figured out, so if someone in here can help me out I would be greatful!!!

33 minutes ago, phil_m said:

If the DT25 isn't responding to the power amp setting from the Helix over L6 Link, it means you need to update your DT25 to the 2.0 firmware.

Thanks Phil, for your reply.

Fortunately I had a MIDI interface at home and I did the update.

Now the DT are ver. 2.0 and the Helix 3.01.

But it feels like I’m still missing something?

Among the factory presets there are one in the folder ”Templates” that is called DT25-DT50 Remote, with several switches assigned to different actions on the amp, but nothing happens when I try them? 

I tried just to create a simple preset and try different amps but still no response from the DT?

There must be something that I have missed???

13 minutes ago, JacksonFirebird said:

Thanks Phil, for your reply.

Fortunately I had a MIDI interface at home and I did the update.

Now the DT are ver. 2.0 and the Helix 3.01.

But it feels like I’m still missing something?

Among the factory presets there are one in the folder ”Templates” that is called DT25-DT50 Remote, with several switches assigned to different actions on the amp, but nothing happens when I try them? 

I tried just to create a simple preset and try different amps but still no response from the DT?

There must be something that I have missed???

That template was created before the L6 Link capability was added, so that's for MIDI control of the DT25. Now you can control the DT25 power amp topology and voicing settings from the output block in the Helix. I don't believe there are any templates or anything associated with this. It's pretty straightforward, though. Go to the output block and click on the DT 25/50 tab, and you'll see the settings there.
image.png.51fcd4e329b81b19c00fe74985d73a16.png

I did som experimenting and just realized that, like you said, that template is intended to be used with MIDI.

I did find the settings for the output block, but I don’t seem to understand how it works??? I thought that if I made a preset with, for example, the Tweed the DT would automatically configure its topoligy according to that type of amp, and then if I switch to a preset with a hi-gain amp it would change again...

I appreciate that you guiding me through this! Unfortunately I have to quit trying now and won’t be able to pick this up until next weekend :(

The integration between Helix and DT amps is nowhere near as tight as the HD series - which has positives and negatives.

• Selection of a Helix amp model will not change the topology of the DT amp
  • All Topology changes are made in the settings plhil_m shows
  • Pre-amp integration doesn't exist as far as I'm aware - eg the change the amp knobs and the model changes bit
  • You can choose to use the Helix of or the DT for Pre-amp - I don't know how you change and store pre-amp settings as I use full amp models on the Helix and then the DT power stage
  • Whether you use pre-amps or amps on the Helix is your choice - personally I find the full amp model works better for me, plus I take a split for digital pre-cab so I can still send a "full model" direct to XLRs  - the idea of trying to monitor the post amp XLRs and tune settings for FoH that way is just more complexity than I want, and I found the XLR ourput from the amp is tied to the master volume (not super helpful to use as a line source)
  • You can start with the topology settings on the amp inserts (if you still have that) as a guide for different styles of amps - but you'll likely find your own preferances by playing about a bit - in the end its waht sounds good to you
  • Expect to do a fair bit of level balancing between topologys and Helix models and patches

I've found myself preferring the DT over the powercab at different times and not sure where I'll land, so am now making sure I have the digital out's set-up for each.  The biggest benefitsI've found of using the powercabs are weight, and the ability to swap to FRFR for acoustic models (or other as required) and choose to use a speaker model where required. Even within a patch using snapshots. I'm begining to think I'll get best bang for my buck tuning Powercab set-ups over the DT.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, waymda said:

The integration between Helix and DT amps is nowhere near as tight as the HD series - which has positives and negatives.

• Selection of a Helix amp model will not change the topology of the DT amp
  • All Topology changes are made in the settings plhil_m shows
  • Pre-amp integration doesn't exist as far as I'm aware - eg the change the amp knobs and the model changes bit
  • You can choose to use the Helix of or the DT for Pre-amp - I don't know how you change and store pre-amp settings as I use full amp models on the Helix and then the DT power stage
  • Whether you use pre-amps or amps on the Helix is your choice - personally I find the full amp model works better for me, plus I take a split for digital pre-cab so I can still send a "full model" direct to XLRs  - the idea of trying to monitor the post amp XLRs and tune settings for FoH that way is just more complexity than I want, and I found the XLR ourput from the amp is tied to the master volume (not super helpful to use as a line source)
  • You can start with the topology settings on the amp inserts (if you still have that) as a guide for different styles of amps - but you'll likely find your own preferances by playing about a bit - in the end its waht sounds good to you
  • Expect to do a fair bit of level balancing between topologys and Helix models and patches

I've found myself preferring the DT over the powercab at different times and not sure where I'll land, so am now making sure I have the digital out's set-up for each.  The biggest benefitsI've found of using the powercabs are weight, and the ability to swap to FRFR for acoustic models (or other as required) and choose to use a speaker model where required. Even within a patch using snapshots. I'm begining to think I'll get best bang for my buck tuning Powercab set-ups over the DT.

Thank you for your reply Waymda!

It’s interesting to read about your approach. The answers that I have had so far have made me understand a bit more. I guess next step will be just experimenting with different ways to set it up.

As I wrote I thing that the Powercab is great in so many ways, but that I still miss that uniqe ”tube sound”. Maybe it’s possible to achieve but I don’t have the knowledge to tweak the settings of the Helix to that point, I guess.

At the same time I think that the DT are such an awesome and versatile amp. My next attempt will probably be to use the 4CM...