Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Spdif

bobdobbs

I know this has been talked about before in a thread back in 2017 but its 2021 and Im curious if there is anyone here that can shed some new light on this. 

I have the focusrite 1820 3rd addition and i would like to send a digital signal to it from my helix. This is for a few reasons 1) theoretically think it would be better to have a straight digital signal not this: analog (Guitar)>digital (Helix)>analog (cable)> Digital (focusrite). and 2) if i do this i can free up an analog input on my focusrite for another member of the band.

Im on the latest firmware 3.0.1

Guitar>Helix>SPDIF OUT> Focusrite SPDIF in

Helix is set to multi out and SPDIF is on, No dice 

For giggles i also connected the SPDIF out on the Focusrite to the input on the Helix with a separate cable, no dice

Ive tried various sample rates and the focusrite clock is set to SPDIF

There is something on the helix end that im missing. I took a DVD player with a spdif out and hooked it up to the focusrite and it worked like a charm,

Have you thought of connecting your Helix directly to your DAW via USB?

It might appear that you can only have one Audio device at a time, but at least in theory, you can create an Aggregate CoreAudio device.

Not tried it personally - this info is Mac specific - https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT202000

I've heard it's not as easy on Windows.........but I'd be googling that!

I also have the 18i20, and use it with S/PDIF when I'm playing through my Studio Monitors (vs PC212). I record with Scarlett as interface.

Helix and Scarlett need to be at the same sample rate.

Global Settings>Ins/Outs>Digital Output needs to be set to S/PDIF.

Scarlett mixer needs to have the Input of the Output you're monitoring on set with S/PDIF enabled.

Scarlett Clock Source needs to be set to Internal. That's probably the problem.

You also need a proper digital cable, audio RCA won't get it.

Here's a screenshot:

Edited by rd2rk
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, CraigGT said:

Are you sure about clock source to internal rd2rk?

Whenever I've used SPDiF in the past (admittedly not with my Scarlett) it needed to be taking sync from the SPDiF

You are correct the sync should be S/PDIF but mine works as internal too. I just get some audio clicks once in a while. Also audio RCA work fine as long as they aren't too long.

2 hours ago, CraigGT said:

Are you sure about clock source to internal rd2rk?

Whenever I've used SPDiF in the past (admittedly not with my Scarlett) it needed to be taking sync from the SPDiF

Yes. I tested it before posting.

19 hours ago, jonandtice said:

You are correct the sync should be S/PDIF but mine works as internal too. I just get some audio clicks once in a while. Also audio RCA work fine as long as they aren't too long.

Yes that's clock slip and it is exactly what I'd expect if you aren't syncing to the SPDiF signal.

PS

I work in telecoms, clocking and sync are bread and butter to us.

ok now to another issue.... regarding Spdif

so I can now pass audio through spdif> Focusrite 1820> power amp> 2 cabinets in stereo. Sounds great loving it top of the world YAY me.

BUT  I cannot record the guitar signal for some reason. Spdif is not a selectable in put on garageband or ableton. What the heck am i doing wrong?

in garage band I see all 20 inputs but nothing says Spdif.

Im sorry I know this has gone beyond the realm of Helix but if anyone has any advice...

Thanks in advance

On 2/22/2021 at 8:02 PM, rvroberts said:

It might appear that you can only have one Audio device at a time, but at least in theory, you can create an Aggregate CoreAudio device.

Not tried it personally - this info is Mac specific - https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT202000

Sorry I passed over this info. I was so gun-ho on using Spdif I didnt think you could do this. Ill try this tonight. Unfortunately i only have 2 USB connections on my MacBook Pro but in reality thats all i need

On 2/27/2021 at 6:26 PM, rd2rk said:

S/PDIF is Inputs 9/10 in Ableton, probably same in BG.

Unfortunately this did not work. I have posted the question to Focusrite support curious if i will even get a response.

Thank you all so much, Im getting there. about 15 years ago or so I used to dabble in DJing with ableton. I had 5 midi controllers hooked up to my old PC along with guitar into a roland interface with a mess of pedals. I used to love the challenge of figuring out how to make everything work while being as complex as possible. If I had then what i have now in terms of equipment I would be on cloud 9 and would probably figure all this out in a heartbeat. Now that i'm older I just want to plug in and hear a sound. Unfortunately I have painted myself into a corner of being the lead guitarist/sound guy/Tech guy/Bass Instructor to my wife. I have a lot of candles burning and really appreciate the help.

On 2/22/2021 at 6:02 PM, rvroberts said:

That's not really a good option, as I've read that even MAC guys think it's iffy.

1 hour ago, bobdobbs said:

Just talked to Support via chat

That's the INPUT chart. The chart you want is on page 19 of the 18i20 manual. Well, the version I have anyway.

I just double checked to be sure. IF you've got S/PDIF configured so that it's sending to your speakers as I described, then in Ableton, S/PDIF Out 1/2 is Inputs 9/10.

Are you arming the track you're using? Being an Ableton vet, you should know this but sometimes I forget too.

Honestly i haven't tried ableton yet just GB. I know GB is a toy of a DAW but our drummer is outside of our pandemic circle and the drums in GB are good enough for the stringed singers in the group. all we need is a glorified metronome for practice.

4 hours ago, bobdobbs said:

Honestly i haven't tried ableton yet just GB. I know GB is a toy of a DAW but our drummer is outside of our pandemic circle and the drums in GB are good enough for the stringed singers in the group. all we need is a glorified metronome for practice.

Ableton has a boatload of drum kits and clips. What's available depends on the version, but even the Intro and Lite versions have all sorts of drum stuff.