Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Evh 5150 iii channel switch with ext amp

jparks_79

Hello,

new helix owner. Loving all the flexibility. But not quite got the hang of everything. I have watched a dozen videos on channel switching with snapshots and midi and ext amp switching. And I can’t seem to get the right settings. 

I have a evh 5150 iii 50 w. I want to change channels on the amp via the ext amp/amp foot switch not via midi. Does anyone have any experience channel changing evh 5150’s with the ext amp control? I have not tried using instants via snapshots. But I have tried various combinations with footswitches(ring, tip, both etc). But I’m not getting any reaction from the amp. 

thanks for the help

jeremy

The EVH switching is "proprietary" so it does not work well with other switchers. You may be able to get it to work with an RJM product. Eddie had it designed to be seamless and as noiseless as possible.

I would highly recommend using Midi to switch channels.  It is very easy once you get the hang of it and works great for me.  I am using the 5150 III 50 watt and the Helix Floor.  I switch channels per snapshot.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi @DarthHollis, midi cable and programming works perfect. Thanks. Have you tried running the 5153 preamp out back into the helix and direct into cab sim or ir? Obviously the signal direct from the preamp sounds like doo doo. But I thought running through a cab or IR object would help fill out the sound.  Not happening. Do you know any tricks? I am not running back out to a power amp and speaker cabinet. I am monitoring through headphones for now. 

9 hours ago, jparks_79 said:

Hi @DarthHollis, midi cable and programming works perfect. Thanks. Have you tried running the 5153 preamp out back into the helix and direct into cab sim or ir? Obviously the signal direct from the preamp sounds like doo doo. But I thought running through a cab or IR object would help fill out the sound.  Not happening. Do you know any tricks? I am not running back out to a power amp and speaker cabinet. I am monitoring through headphones for now. 

Use the Headphones out of the 5150.  When using the headphones out you don't need to be connected to a speaker.  A tube head normally has to be connected to a speaker cab/load or you could ruin it.

I did a wet/dry/wet set up just using the FX send into the Helix.  Dry signal back to the 5150 and we signal going stereo into 2 power cab +.  That sounded pretty good.  

• Like 1

Wow. Didn’t realize that was you. I watched these videos a dozen times before I bought my helix. You were always coming up in “helix evh 5153” searches. Great tone man!

As you probably already know, the headphone out on the 5153 is bung. It’s about the same I’m getting out of the preamp. I also checked into the load. These amps are specifically designed to disengage the power section when anything is inserted into the headphone or pre amp out jacks. The recommendations was to ensure no speaker cable is connected if using the headphone out. 

for now, I am working in a tight space and it’s not possible to run my Mesa boogie 2x12. So what I really want is to have my helix running both my 5153 and an old Marshall dsl pre amp section into a daw for recording and practicing. The helix has a tremendous amount of options for signal chain. What I am struggling with is the sound coming directly out of the5153  pre amp out or send of the Marshall effects loop is incredibly thin. Not like the original tones and not like the line 6 amp+cabs. 

I am using the send return block and the signal is coming back. I am able to switch channels via midi(thanks again!) but the block after the return, should it be a speaker block an IR, eq? Any ideas on how to fill out that sound?

You should use an IR or cab block.  There is no thing as power amp simulation in the Helix so just a cab or IR is the best you can do.  The power amp does change the tone a bit but all you can do is mess around with EQ to get it to work.  

Your best bet might be to get a Torpedo Captor X or similar if want to use the 5153 to record.  It's expensive, but you have to think of it as an investment.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TorpedoCapX16--two-notes-torpedo-captor-by-reactive-loadbox-di-and-attenuator-16-ohm

100-watt reactive load box allows you to play your guitar amp without a speaker cabinet.

• 1 year later...
On 2/24/2021 at 10:28 AM, DarthHollis said:

The EVH switching is "proprietary" so it does not work well with other switchers. You may be able to get it to work with an RJM product. Eddie had it designed to be seamless and as noiseless as possible.

I would highly recommend using Midi to switch channels.  It is very easy once you get the hang of it and works great for me.  I am using the 5150 III 50 watt and the Helix Floor.  I switch channels per snapshot.

Resurrecting this one. 

I just got a helix LT and 5150 iconic stack. I contacted evh to try and figure out if their switching schematic is short-to-sleeve or not but the guy I talked to had to dig into it and said he’d get back to me. Haven’t heard anything yet. 

being that the iconic has no midi on board, how screwed am I for switching channels on the amp using the helix? Can something like a disaster area midi/trs box fix this for me or am I totally SOL for switching channels with my helix with this head?

On 4/3/2022 at 1:19 PM, Kellan707 said:

Resurrecting this one. 

I just got a helix LT and 5150 iconic stack. I contacted evh to try and figure out if their switching schematic is short-to-sleeve or not but the guy I talked to had to dig into it and said he’d get back to me. Haven’t heard anything yet. 

being that the iconic has no midi on board, how screwed am I for switching channels on the amp using the helix? Can something like a disaster area midi/trs box fix this for me or am I totally SOL for switching channels with my helix with this head?

Have no idea what the tip/sleeve combinations are for the 5150 Iconic, but I wouldn't go purchasing any additional hardware for switching until I had tried the 'Ext Amp' options for switching available from the LT's Command Center. The switching capability is already built into the LT if the amp has a compatible footswitching design. Probably best to wait for some info from Peavey support on the foot pedal's operation/schematic but if that is not forthcoming you could always try getting it working, proceed at your own risk(and under warranty :-).