Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Which IRs for my target tone?

wlaycook

Hey guys - really enjoying my Helix so far. Have already spent 20+ hours this week playing around with it. Anyways, I'm loving the stock cabs and have gotten some great tones, but I'm also curious about IRs. I've been checking out some of the Ownhammer products to play around with, but I'm not really sure which ones to go for. I typically use a hot rodded plexi/Marshall tone for my main preset, and my tonal inspirations include guys like George Lynch, John Sykes, Warren Demartini, Jake E. Lee, Jerry Cantrell, and of course EVH (although I do have times when I'm more in a Strat/single coil/heavy blues mode). Any recs of some good IRs I should check out? Obviously, I assume It will be some sort of Marshall with Greenbacks/V30 type of setup, but would welcome any specific recs...

Thanks

I have quite few Ownhammer products, but there are just a few that I tend to turn to in heavier situations like you're describing.  The MRBW BasketWeave 4x12 is a pretty consistent choice as it's what they call a Massively Multi-mic'd collection using up to 5 different mic's on the cabinet so you can get a pretty wide range of tones out of it.  Although not OwnHammer I also really like the Celestion Redback for more modern heavier sounds.