Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

String Cleaner Patch

andyboylett

So I have a Helix and am constantly amazed with what it can do in terms of emulation of amps and effects, but my sounds don't always sound as good as they could because, probably like most amateur guitarists, I don't change my strings very often.

Then it occurred to me that with all of this processing power, how come there is not a "string cleaner" emulator that could make a guitar with old strings sound like new? I'm sure that every guitarist out there would appreciate this and it would save us a fortune at the same time.

Come on Line6 - sort it out! Clean our strings for us! Ernie Ball might not thank you for it but the rest of us will. :-)

• Haha 2

The Tilt EQ block was designed specifically for this use. Over time you will need to tilt it more. If you have it tilted all the way and your strings still sound dull and lifeless, however, it is finally time to change them. But you should be able to get several good years out of one set. Just scrape the crust off periodically.

• Haha 2

On 2/26/2021 at 1:40 PM, andyboylett said:

...probably like most amateur guitarists, I don't change my strings very often.

Not me. I enjoy things like tuning stability, guitars that don't sound like crap, and avoiding unnecessary tetanus shots because I've sliced myself open ancient, rusty strings....

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Fenderflame28 said:

I already have a knob on my guitar for this, just next to the 'louder /quieter' knob there's one that makes strings sound 'new/old'. Am I the only one that has one of these?

Is that louder/quieter knob the same as the solo/crunchy/clean knob that the old boys used before multi channel amps?

I've heard that if you switch on the Helix while pressing all the footswitches simultaneously with the expression pedal in the toe-down position a magnetic field will be generated that deoxidizes the strings. Be sure to keep the guitar within six inches of the Helix for a minimum of 2-3 days. Works best with new strings.

• Haha 1