Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Upgrade advice: PodXT vs PodGo / Stomp (and other questions)

milet22

This probably seems like a ridiculous question, but I’m hoping for some feedback about upgrading. 

I’m a moderate casual guitarist (a little self recording, playing with friends) and I play indie rock and jazz styles (ie I might use delay, tremolo, sometimes light overdrive plus amp sim and reverb).  I have had a original pod and then podXT for I’m guessing 15 years now (no other pedals except a VP). I have appreciated it because 1) it’s is compact and lightweight and 2) I can fiddle with settings without bending down. I can’t say I’ve ever gotten “mind blowing” sounds from podxt but considering #1 and #2 above, the sounds are decent. 

I have been looking at upgrading to something like the podgo or hx stomp. Here are my questions:

1) Would I notice a significant difference between the quality of tones between my Podxt and either hx stomp or podgo? I’ve looked at the specs and I understand they are much improved units. My question is more “is it appreciably noticeable?” This would really be the only really be the only reason I’d upgrade. 

2) I’ve read about the stomp vs podgo and some of the difference in available blocks. My takeaway is that the go has the expression pedal and the stomp is better for use with external pedals—is that fair assessment? I try to keep my setup small so I like the smaller stomp and am not sure how much I would use the EP. 

3) last one: how do you all configure your patches? Are you hunched over tweaks things on the floor unit? Like I mentioned, I have liked having the podxt on my amp because bending down is difficult for me so I’ve hesitant to upgrade. 

I really appreciate your help!

Question 1

I never owned a PodXT so I have no chance to campare . Maybe the web helps:

Line 6 HX Stomp vs. Line 6 POD 2.0 - Audio Comparison (no talking)

Have Line 6 REALLY improved the POD with the GO? | comparing all generations of POD products

Surely you will find more information if you search for it.

Question 2:

This was already discussed in this forum. Just search for Hx Stomp or Pod Go? in the cummuity (Helix and Pod Go).

Question 3:

I think everybody has its own strategy. I was inspired by scolling through the factory presets at first.

There I learned how the patches were set up by factory. I play in a band and need specific sounds which I create from scratch. Here is MY INDIVIDUAL WAY to create sounds:

Find the basic sound = aamp model with factory cab.

Find the suitable cab = factory cabs + IRs

Find the suitabel reverb. Find the necessary FX: Distortion, Chorus, Delay, Solo Boost.

I use the Kinky boost as solo boost which is placed behind the cab (gain = 0). This is the loudest tone.

In addition I use the EXP pedal for solo volume: minimum 65/70% for rhythm, 100% for solo. This is less loud than the Kinky. The EXP pedal is placed after the Kinky Boost. I attached the signal chain of my standard rock preset as example.

1 presets contains all the mentioned components and I activate them as needed in stomp box mode

I have 4 standard presets and 4 presets with special sounds = 8 presets for 90 songs which we play in the band.

I would very much appreciate if other users would post their individual way to create their presets .

Maybe that helps a little bit.

Standard Rock Preset Signal Chain.jpg

20 hours ago, milet22 said:

3) last one: how do you all configure your patches? Are you hunched over tweaks things on the floor unit? Like I mentioned, I have liked having the podxt on my amp because bending down is difficult for me so I’ve hesitant to upgrade.

While you can control the unit via the unit itself, you can connect it to USB to a computer and use Pod Go Edit; which makes it much less 'painful' than using the knobs and the small screen of the Go.  It's way more practical to use that way. 

Some also use it on a table and use their hands to control it, well then you can't get to use the PGO as a floor unit; so lose the usage of the volume/expression pedal, and can't really use the looper very well...

2) I’ve read about the stomp vs podgo and some of the difference in available blocks. My takeaway is that the go has the expression pedal and the stomp is better for use with external pedals—is that fair assessment? I try to keep my setup small so I like the smaller stomp and am not sure how much I would use the EP. 

Stomp can have more effects on at the same time, dual paths (ex; 2 amps at the same time), but it costs more than double I think, less buttons, smaller, smaller/worse screen, etc.  I think the Stomp is yeah more for gigging musicians with already pedal rigs, vs Go probably better unit just to jam at home; or maybe even gigging, if you'd want everything included in 1 unit, and don't really need/want the dual path or

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/pod-go-vs-the-stomp-is-the-pod-go-a-stomp-killer.2113675/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8GX3TeTvts

There's nothing wrong with the PodXT - it's a decent MFX unit in its own right and just because something is older, doesn't mean you should immediately discard it. Prior to lockdown I was gigging with a Vox Tonelab SE that was way ahead of its time back in 2004 when it came out and still sounds great live with terrific gigability control. 

But the reality is that technology changes and the Helix modelling is a cut above & pretty much right up there with any other top modellers you can buy. The ability to import IR's can make a huge difference to your tone (there are some great IR packs out there to buy and even a lot of the free ones are pretty good).   I bought the Pod Go because I wanted something much smaller & lighter than my TLSE but that was still gigable, and sounded brilliant with headphones, through the PA, or powered speaker.  The TLSE was always 'meh' through headphones and its speaker cab emulations are its real weak spot  with no ability to import IR's.  So for under £400 I've had a great sounding MFX with Helix modelling (yes, its the same quality as in Helix floor and LT)  that I've been thoroughly enjoying through lockdown, it sounds fabulous through my Audio Technica ATHm50x headphones, and Headrush FRFR108 powered cab, and meets my home & is highly likely to meet my gigging needs too.  It's light, compact, and PodGo Edit is excellent.  Some new upgrades are on the way too (don't know timing/details).

Helix Stomp is more powerful & you'll benefit from all the new features in Helix v3.0 that Pod Go won't get (at least not in full, as it has lower processing power). HX Stomp is perfect for studio/recording and using as part of an extended pedal board. But it has limited footswitching control (although you can add a MIDI controller and expression pedal) so is not the best choice if you want a single stand alone MFX - for me, that was the attraction of Pod Go - I'm not a home studio/recording guy, I need a single stand alone MFX for gigging. However, there is now the new bigger Helix Stomp XL that has way more Foot switches and solves that problem and whilst it has no expression pedal, and just as for Helix Stomp, its easy to add an external one.

So, it's very much a personal thing & depends on your needs. But the Pod Go tonal capability & modelling quality is a BIG leap above Pod XT and I don't think you'll be disappointed.  PodGo is really easy to use, with a clear manual - if an old fart like me can suss most of it out in a few days, you should have no problems.  But as always don't go too much by the factory presets - some are OK but others (a problem with all MFX) are a bit 'meh' and are there just to give you an idea re its capabilities.  A best of both worlds, but a bit more expensive, might be a pre-owned Helix LT - twin chip, top of the range processing power but with all the floor control you're likely to need in a single unit.  

Past week I was forced to move from my Pod XT because the unit had started to become unreliable after many years, so I picked a Pod Go

I'd say the tone quality is not even comparable, but I'm still struggling with the learning curve and to reproduce some sounds I liked that I had on the XT

Making sounds on the Go is easier but you're overloaded with loads of cool stuff

I'm very happy with the purchase/upgrade even if it'll take me time to get to the full potential

Nice!  Yeah most of your tone is going to come from your cab, and it's not the simplest thing to wrap your head around.  Reading a few threads on other forums about them, here's a few notes, mostly collection of user quotes, could help out at least as a starting point!  Going IRs can also simplify this quite a bit.

===Mics===

57 Dynamic    Shure® SM57
409 Dynamic    Sennheiser® MD 409
421 Dynamic    Sennheiser® MD 421-U
30 Dynamic    Heil Sound® PR 30
20 Dynamic    Electro-Voice® RE20
121 Ribbon    Royer® R-121
160 Ribbon    Beyerdynamic® M 160
4038 Ribbon    Coles® 4038
414 Cond    AKG® C414 TLII
84 Cond        Neumann® KM84
67 Cond        Neumann® U67
87 Cond        Neumann® U87
47 Cond        Neumann® U47
112 Dynamic    AKG® D112
12 Dynamic    AKG® D12
7 Dynamic    Shure® SM7

moving mic 6 inch ~ 1 foot away is a very common practice, it's almost required for many non-dynamic mic, when mic-ing guitar cabs.

7 Dynamic  great on cabs that are darker and should be at cover ranges.
20 Dynamic great on cabs that are darker and should be at cover ranges.
121 Ribbon great on harsher cabs and almost always want to be 5+ inches.
160 Ribbon great on harsher cabs and almost always want to be 5+ inches.

409 at 2.5 inch away, very nice and warm dynamic mic, actually one of the most balanced

120 6-8” away  
160 1-2”.

57, one needs to be careful of its low mid hump, by moving it at least 3 inches away.
30 is the brightest mic, use with care though it could work real well for certain application.
160 sounds warm and balanced when moving 5.5 or more inch away.
160 ribbon -only single stock cab use, nice balance from lows to high
121 is alway too boomy unless put 6 or more inches away.
I can’t stand 4038.....
U47 is more balanced than 67 and 87, where 67 provides some extra mid and 87 has an obvious mid hump.
7 is could sound nice and balanced by itself as well.

=== mic + amp combos ===
67 3" Tweed Preset with 1x12 US Deluxe and

Deluxe Rev Dual Cab (both 1x12 US Deluxe) with 121 and SM7 (a common real life pair for me)

Twin Reverb with 2x12 C12N, I am using the 414 as it isn't spikey

Plexi Jump, Uber V30, 160 1.5" (with Litigator I settled on 1")

Voltage Queen, Dual Cab Supro 1x12 Lead 80, 421 2.5", 160 4"

Champ, Dual Cab 1x8 Small Tweed 414 4", 1x12 Lead 80 409 4"

AC30, Dual Blue and Silver Bell with 121 2"

AC15, Blue Bell 160 2.5", Lead 80 SM7 2.5"

These days for direct I am in love with the Silver Belle and a 121 set at 2.5" and about 12% early reflections. Been using the double norm with pedals in front.

I like the Cali V30 with the 20 Dynamic 2.5" away on the Badonk,

Make sure you try the Uber V30 with the Litigator and Badonk, with the 160.

===Cabs===

The Lead 80 112 is an easy neutral cab that I have ignored because I kept wanting to choose the 'real cabs' that I would use.

Über v30 really dig the for rock
H30 really dig the for rock
whowatt complete whowatt package really dig the for rock

Uber 4x12 and 160 ribbon at 4”. Sounds really good. clarity and highs that the 121 just cant do
Uber 4x12 V30 is one of the cabs in the Helix that has a fairly balanced response out of the box.
Uber V30 with Litigator is NICE

1x12 Celestion 12H (with high cuts) single cabs that may be helpful
2x12 BlueBell  single cabs that may be helpful

Silver Bell. 421 0" and 160 4"

US Deluxe, SM7, 1” with Telecaster

I've been stuck on the Litigator and
Greenback 25 4x12, M160 Ribbon 5" back for quite a while now.

Wow thank you everyone for your insights! It seems like the go and the stomp are a significant improvement over the XT. 

I have been reading about the stomp XL that was mentioned and that actually seems like something that would work. I like that it has the power of the stomp but the extra buttons which might make it easier for me to navigate without having to bend down.