Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Volume settings, everything sounds distorted

conradmarshall

My problem: 

With guitar at volume 10, i cant get a clean sound on lets say a fender deluxe preset amp. With less than 10, theres no distortion.

my set up:

- strat/tele/eastman

- vox pathfinder amp (15w, gain and volume controle)

I use the main out, minimal gain on my amp but still almost every preset sounds distorted when my volume on the guitar is up at max. With pod go it sounds as if with every amp selected is at gain 10 (which isnt the case if you look at te setting).

but when i select a distortion or fuzz, nothing comes out unless i put my guitar at maximum volume. So to obtain a clean sound i lower the volume of my guitar but when i select a distortion, there s no distortion unless i go to volume 10.

should i just lower the drive on every amp?

my issue is there s too many gains or volume settings involved when using a pod go: volume on guitar, on the selected amps, on the pod go itself, on the output amp.

what settings should i select to be able to get a clean or distorted sound without lowering the volume on my guitar? 
and how do you mange al volume settings? Are there volume guidelines so to speak?

thx!

Ideally, when using any MFX with a guitar amp, it's best to go through the fx loop return so that you're bypassing the preamp stage that colours the tone, and just uses the amp as a power amp. 

Unfortunately, if I recall correctly, I don't think Pathfinders have an fx loop. So it's important to set the amp as clean as possible. However, putting the Pod Go through the front end of any of my amps doesn't stop me getting clean tones, not even on my single channel Laney Cub 12R. However, guitars with humbuckers will distort  more easily. 

So something doesn't seem quite right ... although it could be a combination of factors. First thing to try is a different guitar cable, and the different outs on Pod Go. You might have the noise gate switched on. Try switching this off or at least ease the settings down. 

On 2/28/2021 at 2:45 PM, conradmarshall said:

Thanks! I got best result so far by lowering the output volume of every preset. Noise gate adjustemts (dont know if i understand the principle) seems to help as well. 

And using the amp out signal gives a much cleaner tone than the main out...

Exactly, amp out is for connecting Pod Go to the front of an amp.

Noise gates cut your volume as the output drops below the gates sensitivity threshold. So for maximum touch sensitivity and control when using your guitars volume controls, either turn the noise gate off completely, or if you are getting too much noise, set the noise gate threshold low.

One of the problems of going through the front of an amp is that you'll likely get some noise, particularly on higher gain patches, as you're going through its preamp stage so use the noise gate only as much as might genuinely be needed. It's exactly the same if you were using stomp pedals in front of your amp.

All effects in the Pod Go chain can add noise, especially distortions and compressors. So only use pedals if you really need them, not just because you have a spare slot. And don't overdo amp gain, distortion gain or compressor levels.

All my amps have fx loops so if I put my MFX through an amp I go through the FX return and use the amp as a power amp only, although it depends on the type of fx loop. However, when playing live I don't use an amp and I just put the MFX straight through the main board PA. 

For times when there's no PA, or when I need a monitor cab, I put the MFX through an FRFR ( Full Range Flat Response) powered speaker.  I recently got a Headrush FRFR108 which is superb. Can be whisper client for home use, or incredibly loud for rehearsals or club gigging (when we get back there post lockdown). Incredible clarity and bottom end from a compact unit that weighs just 19lbs. And in the UK its under £200. Your Pod Go will never sound so good. 

Hmm that headrush looks tempting indeed...

thanks for all the insights, your other posts have been really helpfull as well (like: pod go is not plug n play, now i get it).

so going further on the matter: how would you create a perfect john frusciante sound on a pod go?

I mean his clean sound of course

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2021 at 9:07 PM, voxman55 said:

Exactly, amp out is for connecting Pod Go to the front of an amp.

Noise gates cut your volume as the output drops below the gates sensitivity threshold. So for maximum touch sensitivity and control when using your guitars volume controls, either turn the noise gate off completely, or if you are getting too much noise, set the noise gate threshold low.

One of the problems of going through the front of an amp is that you'll likely get some noise, particularly on higher gain patches, as you're going through its preamp stage so use the noise gate only as much as might genuinely be needed. It's exactly the same if you were using stomp pedals in front of your amp.

All effects in the Pod Go chain can add noise, especially distortions and compressors. So only use pedals if you really need them, not just because you have a spare slot. And don't overdo amp gain, distortion gain or compressor levels.

All my amps have fx loops so if I put my MFX through an amp I go through the FX return and use the amp as a power amp only, although it depends on the type of fx loop. However, when playing live I don't use an amp and I just put the MFX straight through the main board PA. 

For times when there's no PA, or when I need a monitor cab, I put the MFX through an FRFR ( Full Range Flat Response) powered speaker.  I recently got a Headrush FRFR108 which is superb. Can be whisper client for home use, or incredibly loud for rehearsals or club gigging (when we get back there post lockdown). Incredible clarity and bottom end from a compact unit that weighs just 19lbs. And in the UK its under £200. Your Pod Go will never sound so good. 

So, when bypassing the amp and cab of the pod go, i get great sound, but then i m just using the pod go as a pedalboard.

is there a way to connect to the front of the amp and using the preset amps and stuff? Everything i try with those sound horrible.

so does this mean pod go doesnt fully work with amps that dont have a so called fx retry ?

Is there a way besides an frfr? And can an frfr be used on normal house volumes? I read there pretty loud?

It's exactly the same with any MFX through the front end of an amp, because the amps input stage is colouring your tone. You might get away with it if you have a super clean Fender with high headroom but otherwise going through the front end isn't recommended for exactly the reason you are finding.

You can try turning off the amp modelling and cab in the Pod Go and just use it for fx, or just stick with very clean amp and cab models in Pod Go. As I said, I don't put MFX through the front end, only the fx return. Alternatively, use 4 cable method with fx loops of amp and Pod Go.

• 4 weeks later...