Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Floor - ?rackmount?

MakeItShredNo1

Ok, this is a questions about things that were never meant to be done, and if they are possible.

So, I would love to buy a Helix rack, but because of other gigs and additional reasons, I have need of my Helix Floor and therefore cannot sell it to fund the purchase of a Rack.  However, my main, twice weekly gig has a stage setup issue that would be GREATLY aided by being able to rackmount my Helix and leave it wired up to a DI and snake all the time*.  Unfortunately, looking at some specs, a Helix Floor is 22 in wide, and a rack unit is 19in from screw to screw....which...leaves a bit of room on the sides, doesn't it?  So, it's theoretically possible to fit something wider than 19in in a rack - perhaps on the bottom or in a customized drawer, and use the full interior width of the case.  

Can anyone tell me if this is likely to work, or could anyone possible test this?  I understand full will it would be cutting things close, and possibly subject to variation of individual rack designs (I've seen bands bring big 15u racks for their in-ears, and some of them are pretty roomy on the sides).  

*or, in the case of me having another gig that week where I have to use the Helix Floor actually as a pedalboard, then I can reconnect the Helix to the DI at home before the show.

1 hour ago, PierM said:

Sorry I dont get it.

Just do a full backup and put it on sell. In the meanwhile, keep using it. Then, the same day it's sold, grab the money and buy a rack.

Seems way less hassle than squeeze a boat anchor into a cigar box. 

How do I know? because I did the same, in the same situation. Worked fine. :)

I think this option makes the most sense.  You’ll probably spend far too much effort (and possibly money) trying to get that to fit when the rack Helix already does.

A better question is not is it possible, but rather is it worth the time, money, and aggravation to make it happen? Plus, it pays acknowledge the fact that trying to shove a square peg into a round hole pretty much always ends the same way.

Buy what you need and sell what you don't... that's the path of least resistance.

@pierm Alas, I would love to.  But roughly once a month I play other gigs where I DO have need of a pedalboard and do not have the additional stage space for a rack, so I cannot get rid of the Helix Floor.  That's why I explained I can't sell it.

To all saying this is a fool's errand.... The situation is complex and I have considered many, many options.  I do multiple different bands a month, I have to set up and break down every night - I literally have charts and graphs of the stage setup for my main gig trying to figure out how to minimize setup, and having the Helix Floor setup, wired up and living in a rack is the only current option I have that makes economic sense.  

It's alright if you find it strange.  Can someone tell me if it will work

On 2/28/2021 at 2:40 PM, MakeItShredNo1 said:

It's alright if you find it strange.  Can someone tell me if it will work

Is it possible? Perhaps... with sufficient modification you could conceivably brute force the floor unit into a rack case. However, I suspect that the odds of stumbling upon someone here on the forum who has even tried, is near zero. It's also the only way you'd get a definitive answer... everybody else can only guess and toss out hypotheticals. Either way, hanging on for a reply from someone who's actually made the attempt to carve up a rack case to accommodate a floor unit is likely to be an extended wait, whether it worked or not. If you really want to make this happen, you're gonna have to give it a go... or find someone handy who's used to modifying things for tasks outside their intended use.