Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Are the amps (without cabs) stereo?

fasteddiesanchez

To clarify:

If I run this signal chain: stereo effect1 -> amp -> stereo effect2 -> cab 

will the stereo (ness) of effect1 and effect2 be preserved in the output?

I know that if you run a stereo effect1 into a mono effect2 the stereo of defect1 will be lost.

so do the separate amp and cab blocks preserve stereo?

No. The amp and cab blocks are mono (well, the Dual Cab block is stereo - it’s literally a separate cab for the left and right side). So in the example you gave, you’d have everything summed to mono, unless you’re using a Dual Cab block. A stereo effect in front of an amp block will always be summed to mono, though.

54 minutes ago, fasteddiesanchez said:

Thanx for the response Phil_m. So my next question would be about this chain:

stereo effect1 -> amp -> stereo effect2 -> dual cab block.

As I mentioned before, the amp blocks are mono, so any stereo effect in front of an amp block will get summed to mono.

5 hours ago, phil_m said:

No. The amp and cab blocks are mono (well, the Dual Cab block is stereo - it’s literally a separate cab for the left and right side). So in the example you gave, you’d have everything summed to mono, unless you’re using a Dual Cab block. A stereo effect in front of an amp block will always be summed to mono, though.

34 minutes ago, themetallikid said:

Theres no point in using the 'stereo effect 1' in your chain as it would just collapse to mono at the amp anyway.  Save the DSP and use the mono version

8 minutes ago, phil_m said:

As I mentioned before, the amp blocks are mono, so any stereo effect in front on an amp block will get summed to mono.

Thanks Phil_m. I understand. But stereo effect2 should come out in stereo. Right?

22 hours ago, fasteddiesanchez said:

Thanx for the response Phil_m. So my next question would be about this chain:

stereo effect1 -> amp -> stereo effect2 -> dual cab block.

If you need something stereo happening before the amp and you want to preserve the stereo separation, you could do this:

stereo effect1 -> Split Y A:L100-> amp -> mono effect2 -> mono cab block -> Merge A:L100 
                          B:R100-> amp -> mono effect2 -> mono cab block ->       B:R100

However, I usually like to place effects before or after amp/cab in which case you could do this place the a dual cab after the merge point and place effect2 as stereo after that.

• 2 weeks later...