Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Suggestions/workarounds to minimize DSP use in the HX Stomp

kevinduren

Are there any known ways to minimize DSP use in the HX Stomp? 

For instance:

• Does turning trails on use more DSP? 
  • Does making more parameter changes between snapshots use more DSP?
  • Does using a second signal path use more DSP?
  • Does having more presets in the Stomp use more DSP?
  • Are there any global settings that use more/less DSP?

DSP is allocated when you create a block and the amount is based on what kind of block it is, reverbs and amps use a lot compared to EQ and gain.  What you do within that block as far as changing parameters doesn't change the DSP allocation.  Once you change presets you start all over with a fresh allocation of DSP.  The DSP used for global operations is pre-allocated so changes in global operations won't change that.

7 hours ago, kevinduren said:

Are there any known ways to minimize DSP use in the HX Stomp? 

For instance:

• Does turning trails on use more DSP? 
  • Does making more parameter changes between snapshots use more DSP?
  • Does using a second signal path use more DSP?
  • Does having more presets in the Stomp use more DSP?
  • Are there any global settings that use more/less DSP?

The answer to all your questions is no, with one clarification.  Using a second signal path will use more DSP if you add blocks to the path. But it’s not the added path that uses DSP - it’s the added blocks. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you.  Those are the answers I could not find anywhere else. 

I did some additional research last night using the spreadsheet and website referenced in these forums.  (BTW, I found that the numbers used in the spreadsheet and the percentages used in the website corresponded closely.)  

I should have mentioned this earlier but my use case is to use the HX stomp solely (that is, without any outboard amps or effects) going from the output to FOH. 

It appeared that all single-cab cab blocks use 1.7 of 16 DSP and the difference in DSP use between amp+cab block and amp-only blocks (for the amps that I use) ranged from 1.4 to 1.9 with an average of 1.6.  Therefore; there will be virtually no difference between using an amp+cab block vs. an amp-only block and a cab-only block except the preset would use one less block.  

The IR 1024's use 1.2, so there would be a small DSP savings using an amp-only block + a 1024 IR. 

Based on the above, my conclusion was that using the output of a Powercab to FOH would save ~1.6 or ~10% of the DSP in the HX Stomp.  

The effects I intend to use will use 5.6 DSP leaving 10.4 DSP available, theoretically.  This would allow the use of two amp blocks that used 5 DSP or less. 

Does that appear to be accurate?

2 hours ago, kevinduren said:

Thank you.  Those are the answers I could not find anywhere else. 

I did some additional research last night using the spreadsheet and website referenced in these forums.  (BTW, I found that the numbers used in the spreadsheet and the percentages used in the website corresponded closely.)  

I should have mentioned this earlier but my use case is to use the HX stomp solely (that is, without any outboard amps or effects) going from the output to FOH. 

It appeared that all single-cab cab blocks use 1.7 of 16 DSP and the difference in DSP use between amp+cab block and amp-only blocks (for the amps that I use) ranged from 1.4 to 1.9 with an average of 1.6.  Therefore; there will be virtually no difference between using an amp+cab block vs. an amp-only block and a cab-only block except the preset would use one less block.  

The IR 1024's use 1.2, so there would be a small DSP savings using an amp-only block + a 1024 IR. 

Based on the above, my conclusion was that using the output of a Powercab to FOH would save ~1.6 or ~10% of the DSP in the HX Stomp.  

The effects I intend to use will use 5.6 DSP leaving 10.4 DSP available, theoretically.  This would allow the use of two amp blocks that used 5 DSP or less. 

Does that appear to be accurate?

You can try and "pre-quantify" anything you like, but you're just burning empty calories. At best you're dealing with approximations, and it will always be Helix that is the final arbiter as to what you can or can't place in a given signal chain, no matter what your numbers have told you. You'll either hit the DSP limit based on what you've selected, or you won't. Any prognostications you've attempted beforehand may or may not prove to be accurate... but either way, who cares? Whether you guessed right or not, the outcome is predetermined. The box is the only one with the answer, and it ain't talking until you actually do something. In the end, there's exactly one way to find out if a given combination of blocks is DSP-friendly or not. And if your calculations are off, you'll be preemptively dismissing combinations that would have worked just fine had you actually tried it out. Just put whatever you want in your signal chain... if you hit the DSP wall, you'll know and adjust accordingly.

• Thanks 1

I haven’t checked your math so can’t say whether that’s accurate. But since you’re exploring so deeply, have you calculated the difference between using a pre-amp vs. a full amp (including power amp section) block? Don’t know whether or not you need the power amp section when going straight to FOH.

...   but as cruisinon2 says.....  beyond a certain point (which you’re already well past) your number crunching doesn’t mean much.

• Thanks 1

Understood.  Thank you all. 

I realize that all those numbers are theoretical.   And thanks for the reminder about trying the preamps.  I tried them back when I bought the Stomp, but with no power amp, they didn't work when using headphones or powered FRFR.   But, going to the FOH and IEMs might work.  Just like above, I won't know until I try it. 

What music are you playing? Do you need many stereo effects?

If you play pop/rock or metal it's kinda different approaches IMO. If you play pop/rock you can just go with an amp you like and add a distortion pedal before it and have two different gain stages. If you play metal nothing is tight enough except boost pedal+amp gain and you cannot just turn off the boost to get clean enough. Just an example of differences in genres and how to prioritize differently.

I've spent countless hours managing the dsp efficiently in the stomp. We are two guitar players sometimes with just one stomp which is rather challenging

• Thanks 1

A few things that I've found that help:

Finding a good all-arounder amp model for the music you play and using snapshots and controller assignments in stomp mode to modify gain, eq, ir, and volume to help reduce the amount of effects blocks eating up DSP.

Using a Pre EQ before the amp block rather than a tightening overdrive, and modifying your own IR's and loading them into your Stomp rather than post-EQ blocks in your chain.

Using one effect for two things like the 3 Band Comp for EQ+Comp or a Delay with a level parameter boosted for leads with delay

• Thanks 1